BPM

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Harlequins
I think this deserves its own thread.

Post RWC, who do you want to see in the Head Coach role and what do you think the squad should look like?

To replace Eddie, I'd be most interested in either Edwards, ROG or Robertson, probably in that order. I don't outright hate the idea of Borthwick but he's a less inspiring choice IMO.

Our squad isn't actually that old, but I think there's a fair chunk of players that should no longer feature post 2023 - mostly on account of age/being past their best. For me that list (in no particular order) is Lawes, Tuilagi, Farrell, Youngs, May, George, Mako, and Billy. I'd also probably add Underhill, Watson, Ford and Sinckler to that list, albeit perhaps not immediately. I could see the latter two playing a potentially important transitional role which isn't needed as much on the flanks/in the back three.

The kind of squad I'd like to see moving forward is:

1. Genge / Rodd
2. Cowan-Dickie / Blamire / Oghre?
3. Stuart / Heyes / Harper? / Street?
4. Itoje / O. Chessum / Isiekwe
5. J. Hill / Ribbans / Tizard
6. J. Willis / T. Hill / Martin
7. T. Curry / Earl / Pearson
8. Mercer / Dombrandt / T. Willis
9. van Poortvliet / Quirke / Mitchell
10. Ford / M. Smith / F. Smith
11. Murley / Hassell-Collins
12. Kelly / Ojomoh?
13. Lawrence / Marchant* / Slade
14. Freeman / Radwan / Cokanasiga / Lynagh
15. Steward / Arundell

*Assuming we can tempt him back from France

Options at hooker (sub 30), tighthead and 12 are limited.

At hooker, Sam Riley has always been highly rated, but even as a Quins fan, I think he is going to be too small/light and his basics aren't brilliant. Early days but Theo Dan looks good for Saracens. I can't say anyone else really stands out for me …

At tighthead, I have high hopes for Harper at Sale if he can stay fit and get more game time. I know Street is highly rated, but I'm yet to see anything that really makes me buy into him being a future test prop.

12 is pretty bare as usual. I really hope Kelly is the answer - other than that it's either Lawrence out of position, a stretch on Ojomoh or someone like Hartley if he can find a club and regular game time (rumour is he's signing for Saracens).

I'm sure I've missed some obvious candidates, but that's what I've got for now …

Last edited:
Chuck Atkinson into the mix at 10, too. He started the season really strongly for Wasps, if he takes to Tigers well he could kick on massively

Part of our issue is having so many players to look at - sounds a bit bigheaded/arrogant but I don't mean it as in we have 50 world class players to pick from, but that we have a lot of potential options who need experience.
It's easier to give someone like Capuzzo the starting shirt for a few international series if there's no one behind him - but which winger of Freeman/Radwan/Lynagh do we invest similar time in etc.

As a Quins fan im surprised you didnt put Anyanwu as a 12? He is actually English right?

Anywanyu impresses me everytime i see him. Even when he makes an error...he has the strong mentality that he doesnt let it affect him.
I hope he really pushes on and takes it to the next level.

Anywanyu impresses me everytime i see him. Even when he makes an error...he has the strong mentality that he doesnt let it affect him.
I hope he really pushes on and takes it to the next level.
Same when ever i see him play he seems like exsctly what a modern 12 should be, physical in the carry and defence and a presence on attack as well as good hands to keep defenders guessing. And he seems to offer that just shame he's behind Esterhuizen

Who are the front runners for the top job and other roles?

Dont forget Phil Brantingham, LH Prop who can also cover Tight head very well. Looks very impressive so far just being eased in at prem level now.

Dan has indeed looked good, from what I've seen of him. I'm sure someone on here (or elsewhere...) was suggesting he's an absolute monster.

Dan Frost looked good at Wasps for a while, be interesting to see how he goes at Chiefs. Is he big enough? Not sure.

Lennox Anwanyu looks quite the unit. Not sure he's anywhere near international rugby yet, but unless a bad thing happens, he certainly will be in the next WC cycle.

I can see England using Smith and Smith as their two fly half options for the forseeable future. Atkinson is a very talented player too. It's a shame that one of them will miss out.

England definitely do have the problem that they have a lot of very talented players, which does create a selection headache. I've tried to argue this with my (plastic) Welsh mate for years. It's complicated by Jones having a system which doesn't make use of the talent available though. Tead Hill, a back row player who currently but not exclusively resides at 6, is a better 6 than lock Maro Itoje.

Pick the system to take advantage of the best players. Pick the best player in each position; positions have evolved that way for a reason. If that means there's no room for a really talented player in position A, don't shoehorn them in to position B, pick the best at position B instead. If you need to get clever in order to strike some semi-mythical feeling of togetherness, make it the last thing on the list not the first.

1. Genge / Rodd
3. Heyes / Harper? / Street?
12. Kelly / Ojomoh?
15. Steward / Arundell
I think I need to change my underwear now

I think this deserves its own thread.

Post RWC, who do you want to see in the Head Coach role and what do you think the squad should look like?

To replace Eddie, I'd be most interested in either Edwards, ROG or Robertson, probably in that order. I don't outright hate the idea of Borthwick but he's a less inspiring choice IMO.

Our squad isn't actually that old, but I think there's a fair chunk of players that should no longer feature post 2023 - mostly on account of age/being past their best. For me that list (in no particular order) is Lawes, Tuilagi, Farrell, Youngs, May, George, Mako, and Billy. I'd also probably add Underhill, Watson, Ford and Sinckler to that list, albeit perhaps not immediately. I could see the latter two playing a potentially important transitional role which isn't needed as much on the flanks/in the back three.

The kind of squad I'd like to see moving forward is:

1. Genge / Rodd
3. Heyes / Harper? / Street?
12. Kelly / Ojomoh?
15. Steward / Arundell

*Assuming we can tempt him back from France

Options at hooker (sub 30), tighthead and 12 are limited.

At hooker, Sam Riley has always been highly rated, but even as a Quins fan, I think he is going to be too small/light and his basics aren't brilliant. Early days but Theo Dan looks good for Saracens. I can't say anyone else really stands out for me …

At tighthead, I have high hopes for Harper at Sale if he can stay fit and get more game time. I know Street is highly rated, but I'm yet to see anything that really makes me buy into him being a future test prop.

12 is pretty bare as usual. I really hope Kelly is the answer - other than that it's either Lawrence out of position, a stretch on Ojomoh or someone like Hartley if he can find a club and regular game time (rumour is he's signing for Saracens).

I'm sure I've missed some obvious candidates, but that's what I've got for now …
Tight 5 looks fairly thin doesn't it. Back row and backs look amazing on paper

Look Up Frasier Crane GIF by PeacockTV

RoG as head coach for England with the caveat he can also be Lions head coach so he can win a series and make up for 2009.....no I haven't forgotten

We have loads of players but apparently haven't had a decent 12 for quite some time.

We could do with a spring watch style thread dedicated to all the English 12s around each season.

I don't buy in to the 'too many players' argument though. It's just that jones is a joke and really stupidity stubborn. In reality Hill should have had caps and others as well. I'm really not sure what stupid metrics he uses to deem a player not good enough but seeing how many poor players he's fielded it doesn't make sense.

Same when ever i see him play he seems like exsctly what a modern 12 should be, physical in the carry and defence and a presence on attack as well as good hands to keep defenders guessing. And he seems to offer that just shame he's behind Esterhuizen
I'm surprised at how generous everyone is being here. Anyanwu is promising but I don't know if I see him as an international in waiting.

I hope I'm wrong, but as it stands, he's a decent understudy for Esterhuizen but has a long way to go before he's genuinely competing for the shirt.
Tight 5 looks fairly thin doesn't it. Back row and backs look amazing on paper
Front row yes. Second row is a bit more promising IMO. Chessum has been a great find and if he picks up where he left off, he looks like a future starter in the second row. I expect Tizard to keep getting better too.

I guess the Chessum example does show that players can come from nowhere and quickly come good. Hopefully we have some more props that can do that.

I'm surprised at how generous everyone is being here. Anyanwu is promising but I don't know if I see him as an international in waiting.

I hope I'm wrong, but as it stands, he's a decent understudy for Esterhuizen but has a long way to go before he's genuinely competing for the shirt.

Front row yes. Second row is a bit more promising IMO. Chessum has been a great find and if he picks up where he left off, he looks like a future starter in the second row. I expect Tizard to keep getting better too.

I guess the Chessum example does show that players can come from nowhere and quickly come good. Hopefully we have some more props that can do that.
I think with Anyanwu its he has all the attributes and skills to be an international and is performing well at prem level without looking out of his depth though as ive said before, any other club and he would likely be pushed to first choice but hes behind Esterhuizen, i guess he isnt ready i get your point but we still dont have alot of experienced performing 12s - Kelly, Ojomoh and Anyanwu. I think he will come good over the others.

Latest posts