• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Life after Eddie …

Would Jones suit the Lions with their slightly more relaxed and touring attitude? I know they still train hard and play to win, but there is also an element of fun about it and that certainly seems to have been lacking for England. Also he's very demanding, would players want to go into that environment for just a one off tour, I doubt it.

Yeah the Gatland Ireland beef, from both sides, comes from his time there. It's never got out of hand but I think you'd be hard pushed to find an Irishman who has many nice things to say about him.

Yeah the Gatland Ireland beef, from both sides, comes from his time there. It's never got out of hand but I think you'd be hard pushed to find an Irishman who has many nice things to say about him.
He should never have been let go by the IRFU but still, I have a lemon with his name on it.

Interesting, especially "This is a long-term rebuild" from Sweeney. Why is this necessary if everything was going well and they were content to judge Jones on RWC 2023? Surely it couldn't be an abrupt about-face because the RFU is entirely staffed by clueless w ankmuffins?

A good point from the article is if they aren't sure England will do better under Borthwick in the world cup then why sack Jones. I was all for sacking, but then I'm not running the RFU. I agree it does seem another knee jerk reaction by the RFU rather than a well thought out plan.

In Borthwick has the RFU found England's Gareth Southgate or Steve McClaren?
Wtf does that even mean

Surely EJ was our Southgate - play dogshit most of the time and turn it on every now and then to show what you could do if your players were allowed to play with freedom
Ride on the success of coming close to, but not winning, major tournaments

Wtf does that even mean

Surely EJ was our Southgate - play dogshit most of the time and turn it on every now and then to show what you could do if your players were allowed to play with freedom
Football analogy is **** we need a Brendon McCullum

Play exciting rugby and barely loose a match.

Wtf does that even mean

Nah, EJ was our equivalent of SGE or FC ie an overseas coach. Difference is EJ got England to a WC final, won a 6Ns and unbeaten in a calendar year, but couldn't sustain it thereafter with performances and lost the dressing room.

Depends what England fans want from Borthwick. To play well and beat the opposition we are expected to beat but lose to the big teams when it matters ie Southgate. If that's ok then that is fine. It is tough to win a 6Ns, WC and play the type of Rugby England fans want to see. He deserves a chance.

Interesting article, and does nothing to change my mind about him going was the right move

I reckon the two offers are Wales and USA

Hinting at the RFU sacking him because he slagged off private schools is an easy excuse

Blaming Saracens getting relegated for our slow evolution when he was the one who handled that whole situation poorly, never viewing replacements as more than a stopgap and rushing undercooked players back in ASAP

Has Gleeson really been given a chance? Hes been driven down a route by Jones...to play this special brand of rugby which has failed.

At Wasps he had them playing some great attack?
I'm pretty sure Wasps' attacking play was largely down to Lee Blackett, who I'd happily see as a part of the England set up.

IIRC, Gleeson was defence coach there wasn't he?

I really hope Evans can bring some spark to our attack for he 6N, but it does raise the question of what happens after that?

Latest posts