• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Life after Eddie …

Idk tbh, Kelly has the ability to run hard and straight very effectively for a man that isn't massive, and slade can be pretty scalpal like if you're asking him to do that - it would just need to be balanced with a Murley/Nowell style winger/13 vibe player.

Kelly, Slade with Murley,OHC on the wings works imo, but Kelly Slade doesn't work with Radwan and May on the wings iygm
Freeman???

Only 6 weeks away from naming the 6 nations squad? Actually looking forward to it

I can accept Farrell in the side if and only if he is 10. However I'd have Ford or Smith ahead of him at 10 and just don't see a place for him at 12. He should take the opportunity presented by Smith and Ford being unavailable to put in some fantastic performances. If he produces dirge, get him out.

Really don't think we'll see too many squad changes. Borthwick literally has such a limited time to get in post, then start looking at what he wants and which players arnt performing etc

He also has to provide coaching plans (at a guess) to his coaches so they are all pulling in the same direction.

Only expect one or two changes but I think that's all we need with a solid set of tactics.

That's really my point, he hadn't even been confirmed and that article is saying "here's five players that he'll reportedly drop"

Nobody's said anything yet so who's reporting it?

That's really my point, he hadn't even been confirmed and that article is saying "here's five players that he'll reportedly drop"

Nobody's said anything yet so who's reporting it?
TBH if he drops the Vunipolas and Nowell before the world cup, I don't think anyone would complain. May is not on top form and has some hard competition from younger players but I don't think he has exactly been bad. George, don't really see anyone putting their hand up to take his place. I'd say he's secure until the WC.

Borthwick has a lot of decisions to make, but the biggest short term one is attack coach.

We can bandy around all the flavour of the month names we want, but until there's a clear shape and a change of mindset it wouldn't matter if we could pick Dan Carter and Christian Cullen. That's fixable, but needs someone with top credentials.

So
Borthwick HC
Sinfield Defence Coach

Has anyone else been mentioned? Or rumoured? Or are we just sticking with the crap attack we already had

Times running with the EPS arrangements staying the same - that means only 5 changes allowed.

Tbh I wouldn't have expected any more anyway, but it won't be revolution.

I assume EPS includes anyone mentioned in a squad (even those as "not av for selection")

If I had to bet then -

Cole, OHC, Lawrence, Hill, Seb Atkinson

I assume EPS includes anyone mentioned in a squad (even those as "not av for selection")
Yeah, you'll often see long term injured players keep their place in the EPS so that an injury replacement can be called in and you keep one of your actual changes for someone else

Borthwick saying that we're not top three in any single facet of the game which is pretty damining.

Sweeney saying that we want to win every 6N game and that Jones was over focused on the RWC. Hold on, didn't Jones previously have the RFU backing for that focus, publicly at least?

Jones saying that that he may have become 'too nice' to the England players.

Borthwick has a lot of decisions to make, but the biggest short term one is attack coach.

We can bandy around all the flavour of the month names we want, but until there's a clear shape and a change of mindset it wouldn't matter if we could pick Dan Carter and Christian Cullen. That's fixable, but needs someone with top credentials.
Has Gleeson really been given a chance? Hes been driven down a route by Jones...to play this special brand of rugby which has failed.

At Wasps he had them playing some great attack?

Times running with the EPS arrangements staying the same - that means only 5 changes allowed.

Tbh I wouldn't have expected any more anyway, but it won't be revolution.

If I had to bet then -

Cole, OHC, Lawrence, Hill, Seb Atkinson
Seb Atkinson? Big call that one. Player for the future defo...but in the EPS now?

I also have to wonder about Cole. Hes playing the rugby of his life, looks in great shape and enjoying life. International rugby is tough and puts pressure on your family life etc.

Would he go back to that?

im not sure i would

Has Gleeson really been given a chance? Hes been driven down a route by Jones...to play this special brand of rugby which has failed.

At Wasps he had them playing some great attack?
Fair challenge.

But on his watch we often stank the place out. Even if Jones was constraining him, the attack (any) coach needs to be a big enough voice to be able to influence the head coach (and get the players onboard). Gleeson simply doesn't have the CV for that.

Maybe Borthwick will take soundings from the squad, but I suspect he's very clear in his own mind who he wants. That may not involve change, but I'm guessing it will.

Oh im sure Borthwick will be very clear what he wants.

It'll start with set piece solidification, brutal defence, top level work rate and getting the kick chase working again.
Then he'll worry about the attack.

Latest posts