• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Life after Eddie …

This is more me wondering who will come in if both Marcus and Ford aren't fit by the time the 6N rolls around
Id say if Smith and Ford are unavailable through injury...Farrell moves to 10, Dan Kelly is the obvious choice for 12...then probably Slade v Lawrence at 13. Maybe Will Joseph in the outer squad.

In fact i think the midfield could be the easies thing to sort out...select.

tbf if he'd said we were I'd think he'd lost the plot already
Agreed.

Pretty overt criticism of the previous regime though.

Oh im sure Borthwick will be very clear what he wants.

It'll start with set piece solidification, brutal defence, top level work rate and getting the kick chase working again.
Then he'll worry about the attack.

Yeah the foundations have to be there but I really don't see the attack as a bolt on. It's just another facet of the game, like defence, like the set piece, like kicking, like discipline. You're not going to have sustained success against decent opposition if all aspects of the game aren't in decent order and in some respects the attack is probably the hardest element to get right.

It's easy because Ford and Smith are injured. If Borthwick had the three all fit he'd be under scrutiny if he either kept the 10 12 combo, or dropped Farrell entirely or dropped smith. It's almost a win win for Borthwick in some ways.

"I wouldn't do anything differently". Kind of sums it up.

If he goes elsewhere, say Aus, and does well at the RWC it simply validates that he's a short term impact kind of guy. It wouldn't mean we were wrong to change.

Yeah, going to tier 2 sides for their RWC run would suit him down to a T tbh,

I'm sure he'll have interest from tier 1 sides but I think his stock has definitely dropped over the past few seasons and there'll definitely be concerns about the kind of culture he'd bring

From everything we read the RWC seems to be his obsession. I suspect he'll be after serious tier 1 if he can get it. If Aus can get all their players available there's definitely a Jones type turnaround there.

The Lions coach role would probably suit his kind of coaching as well v Australia in 2025.

The Lions coach role would probably suit his kind of coaching as well v Australia in 2025.
He's not exactly made himself any friends in the other British nations or Ireland and, if he lost the changing room, there may even be a fair few in England who don't get on with him.

He's not exactly made himself any friends in the other British nations or Ireland and, if he lost the changing room, there may even be a fair few in England who don't get on with him.
And did Gatland?

Just think his short, sharp style suits a Lions tour. He'll have less time to lose the dressing room. And he knows how to beat the Aussies on their home turf.

Jones as Lions coach would be a PR nightmare. I'd be all for it to be honest. Not an easily winnable tour like the last three either, can't pick Sexton, so it could damage his rep massively I'd the players don't buy in.

I think Jones would be an decent pick but Farrell is so obviously the main man to get it seems pointless even considering anyone else.

And did Gatland?

Just think his short, sharp style suits a Lions tour. He'll have less time to lose the dressing room. And he knows how to beat the Aussies on their home turf.
Gatland for the most part had the support of his own team and didn't really both much with winding up the other nations except England. Unless I'm missing something, the Scots and the Irish dislike Gatland for his Lions decisions (basically not picking enough Scots / dropping O'Driscoll) rather than his actions for Wales and the Lions. All Lions coaches get stick for not picking enough players from country x or not picking player Y. When Gatland had lost all support is when we also played our worst Lions series under him. I just think Jones, if he did it, would come in with a similar level of respect to what Gatland had when he left after the NZ tour.

Realistically I think it will be Farrell who coaches the Lions, unless something drastic happens between now and then.

But will Farrell have the same shine when Ireland exit at the QFs next year? 🤔

Latest posts