• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Improving my game.

Rhys15

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
London Wasps
Hey I am new to this forum and If this is the wrong section for this post I am sorry.

I am Full back for my local team, I play for an u17s team and have a month before we start our first game and was wondering how can I up my game? Ill start off by saying that I am pretty quick, I am the district champion for the 100m and run about 11.20. I am a alright tackler and when needed I can put a try saving tackle in but I am not a consistent one. I am not a stocky lad as I am about 11 stone and 5'11.

Sorry this is short and not well informed but If you have questions feel free to ask :) And thanks in advance for answers.

I'm a forward so don't take my advice as gospel. Saying that don't be afraid of getting stuck in. Just because your a full back don't linger back and wait for things to happen. Offer yourself as a runner, mostly as trail runner, of the 10 and 12. Try to attack the midfield and hit the soft spots in the opposing 10 and 12 channels. Even if they don't use you it should keep their defense honest and stop them from blitzing. It does run risk however, especially in the set piece, of getting smashed by the 7.

Practice kicking! If you're a fullback you definitely need to be a good kicker. In attack don't let yourself get isolated try and get to team mates if you decide to take the ball up. Work on your tackling if you don't think you are consistent enough. Just watch some youtube video's of good fullback's(kurtley beale, mils muliaina etc) and you'll get a feel for some good tactics

First you need to get your defence sorted. Generally it is fairly easy to work on at fullback, you can track defenders to whichever side you want and hit them with your good shoulder on most occasions. In a 2 on 1 situation, whenever in doubt... Just take the man with the ball, and smash him. At best he'll knock it on trying to offload.

In attack. Make sure you are never isolated, once you move up to seniors rugby this is very important. On the kick returns, get a winger to drop back with you. Run the ball hard to the line, suck in a few defenders, and then pass it off to your winger. This is soooo much more effective than simply running the ball back by yourself, you will get taken every-time and most likely be caught out without support.

When you do run the ball back with one of your wingers, remember to loop back around him in support. It makes a huge difference.

Also - defense at fullback is not always about tackling.

It's about using your backline, communication is key - be able to talk to your wingers. They should be letting you know where they're going, you should be letting them know where you're going.

Also situational awareness:

If you're by yourself and there's distance between you and your support - unless you're extremely confident - bomb it up and chase. Or kick for touch.
OR
Use the sideline as an advantage, if there's no support around and you're surrounded by the opposition be aware of the sidelines - use it too secure a stoppage.

And if you haven't learned anything for Rugby 08

If you've come into the backline to ATTACK or make a tackle - Make Absolute sure that someone is either covering at the back. If you're lying at the bottom of a ruck and the opposition have the ball and are smarter - you're toast.

And if you're coaches say you could be the next Christian Cullen - then there's a S15 contract waiting for you in Auckland.

well this section is about Rugby game and if you want to discuss anything else then you have need to search other section of this forum i hope you will find but if you are interested in 100 m running then join your local club in your country

Latest posts