• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

India in Australia

Funny that I presumed (quite correctly too) what such an article would contain, based merely on the fact that you posted it :D

For the record, the term "pom" usually refers to what the emancipists called new arrivals; an extension of the acronym for "prisoners of her majesty" that has survived well after the end of the transportation acts. Most Englishman with half a brain are quite willing to point out the hypocrisy in aussies labeling Englishman 'poms', obviously Boycott lacks the same cognitive capacity as the usual English tourist.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7178341.stm

Rohit Brijnath provides a more balanced perspective, for those who appreciate intelligent and respectable journalism ;)

Also, AK47, I understand you're ****** with Ponting and I don't blame you. Though, as for the monkey slur- if it is connected to Hanuman, why is it that it is the only black member of the Australian team seems to be so revered as a god?

india_wideweb__470x350,0.jpg

Funny way of paying homage, but i'll reserve judgement for now.

If sledging was limited to comments rubbishing someone's cricketing talent, that would be fine, ie:

"Are you ever going to hit one"
"Your killing your teams chances, you have to have a go."
"Nice shot. We all know you can't play a sweep though." - One I used while keeping and sure enough, the guy tried it and played a ballooning sky-bound sitter.

The modern cricketer can't stop at these types of things. It has to be personal.

It can happen in other sports, but where has it been allowed to become a regular all day part of the sport? On top of the pressure of playing the game and the ever increasing pressure to win, why are these grown men scratching their heads in wonderment at incidents cropping up?

If it could ever be limited to someones ability as a player, I'd still be all for it. It seems to me though that only high-school and club teams can master that degree of common sense. Not saying that sledging things other than someones ability never happens in those grades, but the ratio is ridiculously lower. [/b]

I agree with all of that. Sledging is no longer what sledging should be.

Also, AK47, I understand you're ****** with Ponting and I don't blame you. Though, as for the monkey slur- if it is connected to Hanuman, why is it that it is the only black member of the Australian team seems to be so revered as a god?

india_wideweb__470x350,0.jpg

Funny way of paying homage, but i'll reserve judgement for now. [/b]

i know what u mean man - but the crowds are controlable, i'd be hypocrytical to slam their crowds, when we are exaclty the same. every cricket match i have been too - i have seen the above type of behaviour from australians. was just merely pointing out that 2 cultures sledging can cross racial boundaries - even if domestically its deeemed ok, and yeah they are hypocritical to have a monkey god, then use it as a weapon against symonds - they sure as hell dont like him, so the above was over the line. But crowds are always uncontrollable and not a reflection of the local team

Funny that I presumed (quite correctly too) what such an article would contain, based merely on the fact that you posted it :D

For the record, the term "pom" usually refers to what the emancipists called new arrivals; an extension of the acronym for "prisoners of her majesty" that has survived well after the end of the transportation acts. Most Englishman with half a brain are quite willing to point out the hypocrisy in aussies labeling Englishman 'poms', obviously Boycott lacks the same cognitive capacity as the usual English tourist.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7178341.stm

Rohit Brijnath provides a more balanced perspective, for those who appreciate intelligent and respectable journalism ;) [/b]

Boycott was making perfect sense - until he said POM is racist. He is right in that australians act like they own the game, then cant take the heat, when the heat is on. I cant help by side with Tendulkar in the whole debacle. The man reaks of class everywhere he goes and does - I will never condone racism, and i believe stopping sledging can nullify the lot - so be it if it has to. But u cannot suspend Harby on hearsay u can fine him - or warn him - but suspension needs authentic evidence by way of audio or video or umpires admission of hearing it.

I am sure something was said - but without proper evidence, u cannot fulfill the allegation - and i expect this to go both ways, if the shoe were on the other foot. Imagine if ponting got dobbed in for a racial slur he 'denies' and the ICC pinned him for 3 matches - He'd kill someone :toss:

I can see both sides of the story and both have a strong argument.

Yes, Australia may have f***ed up this time, and yes there is no place for racism in the professional sporting arena or anywhere for that matter...BUT...

This is the professional sporting era. The prevailing attitude is 'win at all costs'. Welcome to life.

True, but much as things change towards "win at all costs", money and greed, people (the fans) still generally don't want everything to revolve around those things.

The whole "life's tough, get over it", bullish attitude is infiltrating every part of society, so whenever there's a chance to stamp some of it out, it should be taken. Sport can be played hard without being nasty.

This Is CRICKET, not Sparta.

I'm sure there's plenty out there who want life to be a tough, in your face, venom-spitting, push-shove to get what you want ordeal.

This may be digressing quite a bit, but with anger forcing it's way into everyone's lives more and more everyday, I can't help but look at my little girl, smiling, happy chasing our puppy and splashing in her paddling pool and I shudder to think what society will do to change her, "harden her up" over the next 16-18 years.

I have to ask, why can't cricket, even if it's a losing battle, struggle and try to hold on to some of it's better founding ideals. It may never be "a gentlemans game" again, but why not keep it as close to that as possible?

I suppose we have Rugby League to cater for the ruffian attitude :p

I certainly do strive to keep the gentlemans games of Cricket and Rugby to their namesake, but there are so many influences slowly changing that.

My rugby club's motto is "Turning boys into men". We wear blue denim jeans, brown boots/lace up shoes, a button up club chambray shirt and a club tie to and from all games. Unfortunately with influences such as converting leagueies in the junior ranks with little respect for the gentlemans side of the game, our game of not only Rugby but also Cricket is going to hell. This is just one minor example of the problems facing our beloved sports.

cricket is the only sport left with any so called gentlemenisms, nobody tries to cheat or get an unfair advantage. We need to keep this in cricket, as its part of its strength, and history, ponting - as the leader of the #1 team in the world is weeding this out of the sport, and everyone will follow suit. If it continues - nobody will walk, and appeal for anything close, a video replay for all dismissals, and appeals - it will kill the integrity of the game. Half of cricket to me is the relationship between two sides, the day two sides walk out like robots, never talk to each other, and just play to win - is the day cricket will lose its history by the way up top i meant

Crowds ARE NOT controllable!

cricket is the only sport left with any so called gentlemenisms

[/b]
You obviously haven't experienced many of the rugby union clubs in country nsw (i'm sure the same goes for other states).

Or are you talking professionaly?

I see what you mean Melon, but I think AK's talking about the elite end of rugby. I think rugby has a lot of gentlemanism (no such word, but it's fun to type) in it after all is said and done (fulltime).

Quite often it's part of the culture that what is done on the field stays on the field and the joy of creativity is sometimes celebrated more than winning (like the french have from time to time). So I guess there's some left in it, but cricket is where the full extent of the tradition of playing in the spirit of friendship still can thrive.

I suppose the old traditions and gentlemanisms (I like the word aswell..) will just continue to disappear as the advent of professionalism continues. Huge money hungry sponsoring corporations don't care about tradition, nor would the majority of employees of any of the unions...its a job now, its a cash cow, its a profession. I suppose there is just no room for any pleasantries at the elite end of rugby from the former game anymore...

Anil Kumble: "Unfortunately, these days, when someone apologises, it is seen as either a sign of weakness or an admission of guilt"

What a truth spoken in few words. You look bigger and truly great when you apologise. Especially if no-one ever asks for it. Ricky stop making Anil Kumble appear to be the worlds greatest captain by comparison.

u guys lost me semi - i am not talking about rugby at all - just cricket

i know there is lots of money

but if we all walk out like robots, and winning is the only option as cost of sportsmanship - we can then stop shaking hands after a match and be dishonost, and claim wickets that truly arent

then we see on replay - wickets claimed that arent - its like diving in soccer, and we know where that part of soccer has landed them - its bringing the game into disrepute

taking advantage of an umpires mistake - is a joke

when it comes down to wickets or goals in soccer - these are massive tide turning events in these sports - so u cant compare to a forward pass or hands in the ruck calls - there are 10 wickets to an innings, and integral to the teams performance and should be honostly adhered to, both ways

people whinge about bad calls for tries - wickets are more important in its respective sport - so think about the outcry for a bad dismissal - from a coutnry as mad as india - and they had 4-5 bad calls

I know what you mean AK. Melon just wanted to mention the aspect of being sporting and decent to your opposition in Rugby.

He was just also lamenting that sportsmanship is also fading in Rugby, if not all gone.

Other than that, there is no comparison between the two.

I know what you mean AK. Melon just wanted to mention the aspect of being sporting and decent to your opposition in Rugby.

He was just also lamenting that sportsmanship is also fading in Rugby, if not all gone.

Other than that, there is no comparison between the two. [/b]
Thats right CA :).

I wasn't comparing the two in the terms you were thinking AK.

oh ok

yeah i agree its all but extinct in rugby...the only things u see if opposition help the other off the ground etc, pat on the bum, a few jokes

other than that - its war

i dont want cricket to be like that

True enough.

Anyhow, the third test is coming. Hopefully things will stay calmed down, although is there a possibility that in the heat of the moment someone may say the wrong thing and we could see a bigger breakdown in cricket spirit?

I hope not, I would imagine that the issues must have been discussed in-depth by all the relevant parties by now.

Right so day 1 has been and gone, doesn't seem to have been anything overly controversial reported while India are ripping into the Aussie batsmen with them currently 62-5, but not in full control yet as Symonds and Gilchrist are at the crease, knock them over cheaply and then we're in business.

Right so day 1 has been and gone, doesn't seem to have been anything overly controversial reported while India are ripping into the Aussie batsmen with them currently 62-5, but not in full control yet as Symonds and Gilchrist are at the crease, knock them over cheaply and then we're in business. [/b]
Are you inferring that you are supporting india? :blink:

Latest posts