International coach of the year

Superalexmarket

Bench Player
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Duendes
And the award goes to...
I choose 5 nominees, you can put someone else, and say who is the winner for you.

1_ Michael Cheika
2_ Eddie Jones
3_ Daniel Hourcade
4_ Steve Hansen
5_ Stuart Lancaster...(oops sorry, mi fault:p)

The winner is : Eddie Jones

Last edited:
Lancaster. Because for about 38 minutes back in February, I believed in him. That's some hoodoo.

Last edited:
Tough to choose between Jones and Cheika.

Hansen obviously get's an honourable mention for being in charge of the best side in the world, but they were the best side in the world before this year - I think the turnaround of Australia and the rise of Japan is more notable (for me, anyway).

I'd probably go for Eddie Jones, too. Australia have always been there or there abouts, and Cheika is getting them back to their best.
Japan, under Jones, have risen to remarkable levels, getting their first ever RWC win...and then a few more for good luck too!

This will be determined by the outcome of the final, winning team will get Team and Coach of the year awards.

Umm, Hansen? The one whose team always wins?

You say that, but it'd take incompetence verging on Lancaster levels for the All Blacks to not be the best side in the world :p

Not slagging off Hansen, before anyone accuses me! He's undoubtedly a fine coach, I just think that Jones/Cheika have done/had to do more this year.

And the award goes to...
I choose 5 nominees, you can put someone else, and say who is the winner for you.

1_ Michael Cheika
2_ Eddie Jones
3_ Daniel Hourcade
4_ Steve Hansen
5_ Stuart Lancaster...(oops sorry, mi fault:p)

The winner is : Eddie Jones

Has to be Cheika. Why didn't Ireland pick him up?

Cheikas work will mean nothing if he doesn't win the WC, but if he does he has the RC and the WC, shoe in for coach of the year and Aus team of the year.

If AB's win Hansen will get it and team of the year.

Jones has done good work with Japan and if they qualified for a quarter may have been in with a chance.

Even though he's not head coach, I'd love to see Wayne Smith get a mention somewhere someday. He's been fundamental throughout recent times within the AB set up either directly and/or indirectly

Because we picked the coach who was more successful in a shorter time frame in coaching Leinster? I don't think our head coach is exactly a problem.

I mean absolutely no respect to AB fans, so don't take this personally but even if Hansen wins does that make him best coach? Hypothetically if the ABs win he took a WC winning team and made them a WC winning team. Where as Cheika took a union in shambles, one who many people thought would not leave their pool in the years leading up to the WC, and turned them into ***le contenders.

On the other hand would it be fair to not give him best coach based on one loss in the year...
Guess it will come down to the final then.

Last edited:
Ehh, well if Chieka wins the final than it's Chieka - if Hansen wins the final it's Hansen. I've never heard in my life of a guy who wins a RWC and not get coach of the year..

I mean absolutely no respect to AB fans, so don't take this personally but even if Hansen wins does that make him best coach? Hypothetically if the ABs win he took a WC winning team and made them a WC winning team. Where as Cheika took a union in shambles, one who many people thought would not leave their pool in the years leading up to the WC, and turned them into ***le contenders.

On the other hand would it be fair to not give him best coach based on one loss in the year...
Guess it will come down to the final then.

Firstly SomeOke, I take this very very personally, not because you're wrong but because you're so right DAMN IT :cryy:

Seriously though, you're right and what Cheika's done within the past year against all the odds is remarkable and that's regardless whether the WB's win it or not.

I'm still offended though :p

Cheika. He got the team in 2014, second to last in the RC, first loss to Argentina.
A year later they win the RC and outclassed every single team they've faced (except maybe vs South Africa in Brisbane. That could have gone either way).
Credit where credit is due.

Cheika is too hipster to get my vote. Those hipster glasses **** me off. I half expect he'll turn up wearing a flat brim hat during the final.

Cheika. He got the team in 2014, second to last in the RC, first loss to Argentina.
A year later they win the RC and outclassed every single team they've faced (except maybe vs South Africa in Brisbane. That could have gone either way).
Credit where credit is due.

And the AB's at the GARDEN OF EDEN? The WB's didn't outclass NZ, the RC isn't that important one year out from the RWC but having said that, the AB's v WB's on neutral ground is a different kettle of fish.

On paper, I'd say Hansen from stats but in reality within a short stint as coach I'd be lying if I said Hansen was the coach of the year compared to Cheika. And Cheika is a pretty cool cat.

Cheika gets my vote

Winner of the RWC = Winner of Coach of the year => Hansen takes it!!

Latest posts