• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

International Rules

A

An Tarbh

Exploratory talks will be held in Paris today between GAA President Nickey Brennan and Chief Executive of the AFL, Andrew Demetriou, on reinstating the International Rules Series.

Among items up for discussion will be the possibility of neutral refs, I may sound a little biased here but the quality of the Australian referees over previous series has been a joke and is something that needs to be sorted out if the series is to continue.

There are apparently efforts to use rugby league referees from the UK and the idea has not been dismissed out of hand by the RFL.

Maybe if the GAA and AFL let some of the refs from the nations in which International Rules, GF and ARF is becoming more popular referee GA & ARF games in Ireland and Australia respectively in order to get the experience of playing in front of a huge crowd.

Just don't have an English ref officiate a grand final in either sport ;)

Well I don't imagine the GAA would be too keen on letting outsiders come in and ref games here when they clearly have a top panel of decent refs for both hurling and football, even if we did have english refs, which I personally don't have a problem with, it's not as if they wouldn't have experience of big occasions. Maybe I'm wrong on this one as well but I'd imagine that most of the refs in the likes of New York, Warwickshire and London would all be Irish anyway so not much point in bringing them over for championship games.

No, you don't see my point.

My point was the invite and develop foreign refs in order to have experienced neutral refs with specific knowledge of International Rules and at least either Gaelic Football or Aussie Rules.

And the Nottingham Aussie Rules refs are firmly, 110% British ;) Gaelic Football however I agree with, they're all Irish, especially in Aberdeen at RGU and yet RGU still loses to a bunch of English/American toffs from Aberdeen University who keep calling the game "lacross dahling". Typical, RGU bends over backwards to get as many Irish students through its doors and not one of them can actually play GF properly! Seriously, I used to watch them "practice" outside of my Halls of Residence. It was like the Galway special needs club on a day outing.

well I do take offence to your last comment, but that's just a personal thing, although I do see the point you're making, the quality of Gaelic football is appalling in this country, the skills levels have decreased markedly especially when compared with the great Kerry and Dublin teams of the late 1970s and 1980s, that has had a spillover effect on the International Rules side with the team kicking a ridiculous amount of wides in the last few series, for those who know the game they'll know it's something to kick a wide in this game. So I don't know if this whole referee and discipline issue is being used as a smokescreen for something more serious that the GAA just want to avoid the embarrassment of.

As for your point about bringing in foreign refs, that could work but then the GAA would most likely have to pay them which I doubt they'd be willing to do and I couldn't see too many coming to Ireland without that incentive.

I hope this stuff dies so the AFL finally realises thier sport is bloody ****...how can I be patriotic about my country when this retarded sport is around :( Bloody bogans

I hope this stuff dies so the AFL finally realises thier sport is bloody ****...how can I be patriotic about my country when this retarded sport is around :( Bloody bogans [/b]
How can I, as an american, use this term "bogan" properly in a sentance?

<div class='quotemain'> I hope this stuff dies so the AFL finally realises thier sport is bloody ****...how can I be patriotic about my country when this retarded sport is around :( Bloody bogans [/b]
[/b][/quote]
It's very much an Australian term, much like a redneck, yet over here it is Australian wide....I don't know if it would be useful in an American context. To use it in a sentence, 'Those bloody bogans need to get all those rusted old cars off thier lawn and get a job, they are ruining our neighbourhood.' Enjoy :D

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> I hope this stuff dies so the AFL finally realises thier sport is bloody ****...how can I be patriotic about my country when this retarded sport is around :( Bloody bogans [/b]
[/b][/quote]
It's very much an Australian term, much like a redneck, yet over here it is Australian wide....I don't know if it would be useful in an American context. To use it in a sentence, 'Those bloody bogans need to get all those rusted old cars off thier lawn and get a job, they are ruining our neighbourhood.' Enjoy :D [/b][/quote]
O'Roth, just google "Bogan", it will provide plentiful information on these useless yet important part of Australian life. Here is a good reference point http://www.bogan.com.au/

I hope this stuff dies so the AFL finally realises thier sport is bloody ****...how can I be patriotic about my country when this retarded sport is around :( Bloody bogans [/b]

I resent that i'am a lifelong follower of AFL and *not* a bogan. :angry:

International Rules used to be good weird but good,even better when they had massive punchups and we used to beat them at basically with a few modifications there game. :lol:

International Rules used to be good weird but good,even better when they had massive punchups and we used to beat them at basically with a few modifications there game. :lol:
[/b][/quote]
I'm sorry, you can't be a support of AFL and NOT be a bogan, repent now and embrace Rugby Union as your lord and saviour!

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]
I'm sorry, you can't be a support of AFL and NOT be a bogan, repent now and embrace Rugby Union as your lord and saviour! [/b][/quote]

********. :lol:

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]
I'm sorry, you can't be a support of AFL and NOT be a bogan, repent now and embrace Rugby Union as your lord and saviour! [/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
Well don't come crying to me when the day of reckoning comes and the Rapture takes away all the true believers on the day that 'Buck' is finally brought back!

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
Well don't come crying to me when the day of reckoning comes and the Rapture takes away all the true believers on the day that 'Buck' is finally brought back! [/b][/quote]

Man you should start a church and put a program on tv at about 3 in the morning.

Some guy in a western force shirt ranting about how good union is should make a nice break for all the insomniacs who have to put up with creflo dollar and kenneth copeland. :lol:

Latest posts