• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

International Team of the Decade

M

munster

In a decade dominated by the bid "three" of the southern hemishere and in paticular one team alone this isnt much of a talking matter but I'm bored so I'll post it anyway...

From the northern hemisphere Wales have won two grand-slams and are ussually always a competitive team... Ireland have always been competitive but never finished it off with proper silverware until 2009 (until Deccie)... England have been far from competive apart from odd spells since their world cup in 2003 (I'll leave it at that) ... And finally France have been the best of the north consistentely playing fluid, exciting rugby but still not a match for at least two of the southern hemishere teams...

From the south there is first Argentina who must be most improved team of the decade with a brilliant display in the 2007 world cup... Australia who beat the lions in 2001 and have produced many fantastic talents... South Africa who since the world cup in 2007 have been the dominant force in world rugby... But the undoubted team of the decade with their domination of the tri nations, "blackwash" of the lions and always the team to beat, so unquestionably "my" team of the decadeis New Zealand...

Maybe it'd be more interesting if people awarded a gold, silver, bronze kind of thing to the teams Olympics style. Also, I'd award the placings based on improvement over the decade, not just results. I'd go.

1. New Zealand.
2. South Africa
3. Argentina
Honourable mention: Ireland

Even so, apart from a 2 year spell in the middle of the decade Argentina have been kinda cack.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jan 9 2010, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Winning world cups doesn't matter to Kiwis ;) :p[/b]
Pfft, a World Cup, that's sooo mainstream. I'm into the alternative stuff, like winning every game and then failing every 4 years.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jan 9 2010, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Argentina over England? Really?[/b]

As I said in my inital post, I based my rankings partly on improvement from teams. Argentina are significantly more of a world force than they were going into the year 2000. England are not. Nothing against England or any other team. New Zealand have managed to stay number one ranked in world rugby for more of the decade than any other team and this in the 2nd decade of professionalism. Thats a huge achievement given professionalism involves money and money is short on supply for that team. Other teams should've produced more results against them by now. South Africa have been steadily building as possibly the international team of the next decade, so certainly deserve their spot on my rankings. Ireland have also produced much more in the 00's than the 90's.

World cups are big, but they are not everything. they are a tournament, not an ongoing critical analysis.

These are just my rankings, perhaps stop worrying so much about my opinion and post your own maybe?

I'd say that the SH countrys dominated the NH teams so much it's funny.

NZ, SA and Aus dominated the decade. Argentina weren't bad as well.

So it took 16 years till 2003 for a NH side to win a world cup. We have had 6 rugby world cups and only once has a NH team won it. Pathetic.

ah ya but the gap is getting somewhat smaller, compared to 10 years ago imo.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Jan 9 2010, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

So it took 16 years till 2003 for a NH side to win a world cup. We have had 6 rugby world cups and only once has a NH team won it. Pathetic.[/b]

Ireland or France (if they had a coach who could pick their best team for at least one match) would give any SH hemisphere a good game at the moment...

1. New Zealand
2. Ireland
3. France
4. South Africa
5. Wales
6. England
7. Argentina
8. Australia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Jan 10 2010, 12:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

So it took 16 years till 2003 for a NH side to win a world cup. We have had 6 rugby world cups and only once has a NH team won it. Pathetic.[/b]

Thanks for not sticking the boot into NZ Dale, a couple of NH posters fired the first shot (as always) unfortunately. Sad for the many many NH'ers who are gracious enough to not unleash the "how long since NZ won the world cup" fallback. Those guys have a few more sandwiches in their lunchbox than the others. It's good to see an aussie stand up for NZ, really the aussies (for all the rivalry) tend to stick up for the kiwis on forum quite a bit, but it's not often noticed.

All we're trying to do is rate teams of the decade. Oh well, let he who casts the first stone........

Edit: Just read King D'Arcys ratings. Thank goodness someone could just rate and not bleat. Top marks!

The Noughties:

1. New Zealand (o/all domination, Tri Nations x 6 (1 Grand Slam), Multiple Grand Slam Tours, Grand Slam Lions Series)
2. England (1 World Cup, 2 WC finals, 3 Six-nations (1 GS), & Grand slam tours)
3. South Africa (1 World Cup, 3 Tri-Nations, 2-1 Lions Series)
4. France (2 Grand Slams, 2 Six nations)
5. Wales (2 6N Grand Slams)
5. Ireland (1 6N Grand Slam)
6. Australia (Bledisloe Cup, WC Final)
7. Argentina (WC 3rd place)
8. Scotland (Calcutta Cup)
9. The rest...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King D'arcy @ Jan 9 2010, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
1. New Zealand
2. Ireland
3. France
4. South Africa
5. Wales
6. England
7. Argentina
8. Australia[/b]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King D'arcy @ Jan 9 2010, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
1. New Zealand
2. Ireland
3. France
4. South Africa
5. Wales
6. England
7. Argentina
8. Australia[/b]

Ireland and France better than South Africa???

Ireland had only one brilliant year compared to South Africas World cup, tri nations and Lions series and France have never really performed when it came to huge matches...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Jan 10 2010, 01:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The Noughties:

1. New Zealand (o/all domination, Tri Nations x 6 (1 Grand Slam), Multiple Grand Slam Tours)
3. South Africa (1 World Cup, 3 Tri-Nations)
9. The rest...[/b]

Well made case for England, made me think twice. Good post. :) Still looked at Argentina. Thats a bit harsh, they improved more than many over this decade compared to the decade (90's). Improvement is the hardest thing for any team to continue over a period of time, the whole permanent gap closing thing. Argentina will be in the Tri-Nations, they've achieved more than you might estimate.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMachine @ Jan 8 2010, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
In a decade dominated by the bid "three" of the southern hemishere and in paticular one team alone this isnt much of a talking matter but I'm bored so I'll post it anyway...

From the northern hemisphere Wales have won two grand-slams and are ussually always a competitive team... Ireland have always been competitive but never finished it off with proper silverware until 2009 (until Deccie)... England have been far from competive apart from odd spells since their world cup in 2003 (I'll leave it at that) ... And finally France have been the best of the north consistentely playing fluid, exciting rugby but still not a match for at least two of the southern hemishere teams...

From the south there is first Argentina who must be most improved team of the decade with a brilliant display in the 2007 world cup... Australia who beat the lions in 2001 and have produced many fantastic talents... South Africa who since the world cup in 2007 have been the dominant force in world rugby... But the undoubted team of the decade with their domination of the tri nations, "blackwash" of the lions and always the team to beat, so unquestionably "my" team of the decadeis New Zealand...[/b]

Wales were only a competitive team in 2005, 2008 and 2009. Besides that, they've been shite as usual.

Ireland have on the whole been competitive the entire decade, but they have just one Grand Slam to show for it.

France have been France and as such can never win a poll like this.

England - Were outstanding for 3 years and fairly competitive for a few others. Hard facts - 1 world cup win, another final, plus consistently good 6Nations performances, and, until the last couple years, the ability to beat some SH teams, makes England the best team from the Northern Hemisphere over the course of the decade by quite a way. However, considering how **** they've played for some of the decade, they deserve nothing.

Argentina - have done very well, but their peak was in 2007 which saw them 3rd in the world cup but they haven't beaten any of the Tri nations yet.

Australia - are always a good team no matter what - but they've won nothing in the noughties.

South Africa - fantastic end to the decade with a world cup and some great 3N performances.

New Zealand - good at the beginning, one of the greatest sides ever in the middle, and good at the end. They've won no world cups and reached no finals, but they're still the team of the decade.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Jan 9 2010, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Wales were only a competitive team in 2005, 2008 and 2009. Besides that, they've been shite as usual.

Ireland have on the whole been competitive the entire decade, but they have just one Grand Slam to show for it.

England - Were outstanding for 3 years and fairly competitive for a few others. Hard facts - 1 world cup win, another final, plus consistently good 6Nations performances, and, until the last couple years, the ability to beat some SH teams, makes England the best team from the Northern Hemisphere over the course of the decade by quite a way. However, considering how **** they've played for some of the decade, they deserve nothing.

Argentina - have done very well, but their peak was in 2007 which saw them 3rd in the world cup but they haven't beaten any of the Tri nations yet.

Australia - are always a good team no matter what - but they've won nothing in the noughties.

South Africa - fantastic end to the decade with a world cup and some great 3N performances.

New Zealand - good at the beginning, one of the greatest sides ever in the middle, and good at the end. They've won no world cups and reached no finals, but they're still the team of the decade.[/b]

summed up pretty well.... good post :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMachine @ Jan 10 2010, 01:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Jan 9 2010, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

New Zealand - good at the beginning, one of the greatest sides ever in the middle, and good at the end. They've won no world cups and reached no finals, but they're still the team of the decade.[/b]

summed up pretty well.... good post :)
[/b][/quote]

Best summing up of all so far. Hard to argue with much there.

England dominated the first 1-3 years of the decade, New Zealand dominated the next 3-4 years of the decade and South Africa dominated the final years of the decade. But for continued persistance and being competitive every game, it would have to be New Zealand.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Jan 9 2010, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The Noughties:

1. New Zealand (o/all domination, Tri Nations x 6 (1 Grand Slam), Multiple Grand Slam Tours, Grand Slam Lions Series)
3. South Africa (1 World Cup, 3 Tri-Nations, 2-1 Lions Series)
9. The rest...[/b]
:bravo:
Just what i thought as well

C A Iversen Edit: Inciting.

Latest posts