• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

IRB Junior World Championship

Wales U20's vs England Academies XV
Score Wales 26 England XV 34

Final warm up game for the Welsh team before the tournament.

Highlights

*Edit* When i signed up to these forums moons ago I must have messed up. I have my e-mail as my name. How do I change that?

Last edited:
Expecting big things from Ashley Beck in the centre. he's got a bright future ahead of him. Should shine on this kind of stage.

Gutted to lose, I think our halfbacks hampered us too much. McKinney's kicking was excellent but I think Noel Reid would be much more likely to get more from our backline.

I hope Allen Clarke takes note our try today came from our players doing what came naturally to them and counter attacking, more of it please.

Will O'Halloran be back for Wednesday? why was he out in the first place?

I hope Allen Clarke takes note our try today came from our players doing what came naturally to them and counter attacking, more of it please.
Exactly. Results don't matter, it's player development which is more important. In that regard, Ireland's tactics were all wrong. They have pacy backs who showed in the 6 Nations that they can do damage yet Ireland played boring, bosh it up the middle and kick the corners rugby.

I'd keep McKinney in the team but move Noel Reid to inside centre with Nevin Spence shifting to 13. Then again, I'm just a geek behind a keyboard who hasn't seen the team train so what would I know.

Hey, are you suggesting that any one of us wouldn't do a better job than DK, McGahan, Cheika or Clarke? Madness! :p

Argentina 22 - 48 England FT

Terrible defence from England in the first half, much improved in the second half.

An extra 10 mins of added time in this match. The time keeping in these two matches has been ****.

Last edited:
The Irish had a good set peice, disagree with snoop I think the Irish scrum was average. The Irish didn't look very threatning with ball in hand.
How far can this team go? can we get to the semis?

The Irish had a good set peice, disagree with snoop I think the Irish scrum was average. The Irish didn't look very threatning with ball in hand.
How far can this team go? can we get to the semis?
Did I say otherwise? The scrum was okay, the scrum half was terrible.

Edit - just read that Tiernan O'Halloran is out of the tournament through injury. Andrew Boyle replaces him. Boyle is another current u19 player to make the squad (as is the man he replaced). The others are Andrew Conway, Brendan Macken, James McKinney, Jordi Murphy, David Doyle and Niall Annett.

Last edited:
sorry about that snoop misread your comment
the way in which we lost was horrible but I think the French deserved it. They were better with ball in hand and were more clynical.
The backs weren't very sparky and barely made any ground. The fowards didn't manage to make the gain line very often. Mckinney's conversion was superb, a hard kick from the touchline and under so much preasure. His kicking out hand was very good aswell but sometimes it wasn't the right decision.

Gutted, completely forgot about the Argentina/England match
Can't wait for England/Ireland though, next week isn't it?

How is New Zealand, South Africa and France doing? Those three always seem to produce a lot of good young talent. Irish and English seem to produce older talents.

Conway's break that set up Zebo's try was sexy. Thought Ireland were hard done by if I'm being honest. Dominic Ryan's tackle at the end was perfectly legit. It was just extremely crushing. He puts in a few of those in every game and they're so big that refs seem to occassionally panic and penalise him for them. The same thing happened when he tackled Cusiter when he was playing for Leinster against Glasgow.
Butler is a class act.

Indeed, Dominic Ryan and Paddy Butler are excellent players, I thought Ruddock was quiet enough all the same. We will need to take England on up front to beat them, but with Clegg pulling the strings and backs like Homer in the team we can't just aimlessly kick the ball back to them as we did so often yesterday. Noel Reid was especially guilty when he came on, despite being well able to do damage when he counterattacks. Let them run it!

Shame O'Halloran is out :(

On a positive note most of the kicks out of hand were superb. The tactics were just wrong and I don't blame the players for that, the're only young and therefore really just play the game their told to play. Hopefully we can pick ourselves up and win some games. Not to bothered where we come in the competition aslong as we can improve from last year and put in some decent performances. To be fair that result isn't to bad against any french side.

Latest posts