• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

IRB Player of the Year 2011

Who do you think should be the IRB International Player of the Year for 2011?

• Thierry Dusatoir

Votes: 16 21.6%
  • Will Genia

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Jerome Kaino

Votes: 28 37.8%
  • Ma'a Nonu

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • David Pocock

Votes: 17 23.0%
  • Piri Weepu

Votes: 5 6.8%

• Total voters
Aren't the November tests also considered for this?
I don't think any frenchman should be there. This was the year where we got a hiding from the Wallabies in Paris, we lost to Italy for the first time, we lost pretty humilliatingly to England and we lost to Tonga.
From the SH, Genia had an outstanding EoYT and 3N, but a poor WC. Pocock has been inmense all year, so he desrves his spot. Boks have been underwhelming, even if they had a pretty strong EoYT... I guess the one that comes closest to that list, IMO, is Jacque Fourie... but really a step down from the list members. The AB's have had a good year, despite losing the 3N. Kaino had a good Grand Slam tour and an outstanding WC, so he deserves his spot as well. I may be repeating myself, but Owen Franks and Brad Thorn have been really, really good all year long, though less visible than many of the others. They deserve to be shortlisted certainly more than Weepu and probably more than Nonu (who's been very good too, though).
From the NH... the ones that have been good have been inconsistent. Scots beat the Springboks but then had a bad 6N and a bad WC. Wales had a terrible EoYT and a pretty bad 6N. Many players have had a very good WC, but have started to shine only recently. North and Roberts are perhaps the exception (Warburton dump-tackled his chances). Ireland has been inconsistent, with the exception of SOB (whose international form/results have been far from his club's). England beat Australia and almost won the GS. The best players then were Lawes, Flood and Ashton. None of those were good enough to compensate their average WC. Italy... well, Castrogiovanni and Parisse were good as usual, and Masi was decent too (his "player of the 6N" award was undeserved though imo). Parisse would deserve the most a nomination, but he's already been shortlisted and as hehas no chance of winning, I don't see the point in nominating him. Gorgodze has had no international achievement as to earn a nomination.
My seven would be:
Kaino
Thorn
Franks
Pocock
North/Roberts (there has to be one welshman!)
SOB
Unlucky to miss out: Read, Nonu, Genia.
I think that if NZ wins the cup, there is no way someone from a different side will win. If that victory includes detroying the french setpiece as an important factor, then Franks or Thorn should get it (forward domination is what has gotten them to the final). If not, Kaino would be more appropiate. If the world ends and NZ doesn't win the cup, then it must go to Pocock.

Sam Warburton should win. Daft decision to leave him out.
Well, in the relevant period he won 8 and lost 8. Of those 8 wins, only 3 were against top 10 teams... He started being very good only since the second half of the 6N really, and let's not forget that he was the direct cause of losing Wales' most imortant game.

Couple of bad selections here! No O'Brien or Warburton......absolute joke! They have been head and shoudlers above Dusatoir. If I was to give the nod to any frenchman it would have been Yachvilli, hes been a warrior for France so far in the world cup!

However my vote would go to Nonu, he's been immense! He's keeping SBW of the team and if he has a good final theres no telling what could happen!

Kaino, hands down, dragging New Zealand to the final whether they like it or not.

From that list definetly Will Genia.

But the IRB has done it again and left out some better players than half on the list. Sean O´Brian has, clearly, been the best player at international level on the planet in 2011.

Weepu!! What a joke.

They wanted to pick players who would be in NZ to recieve their reward. Its a complete joke and makes a mockery of peoples intelligence.

And another thing, if they were picking from the semi finalists of the world cup only, how did they manage to overlook Warburton or Jamie Roberts?

I guess the IRB waits O'Brien and Warburton for confirmation in the coming years. They both were outstanding but the need to prove continuity.
My choice would be Nonu or Kaino, and I'm sure one of them will win if New Zealand win the World Cup.

Don't understand why Weepu is on the list. Besides they chose Dussatoir in the wrong year. France is in the World Cup Final, so a french player was needed in the list. For me Medard has been inmense this season, he would be my choice from the french team.

What you lot on about. McCaw will win it, the IRB luuurrrvvveee him

(yes I know he's not nomintaed)

I guess the IRB waits O'Brien and Warburton for confirmation in the coming years. They both were outstanding but the need to prove continuity.
My choice would be Nonu or Kaino, and I'm sure one of them will win if New Zealand win the World Cup.

Don't understand why Weepu is on the list. Besides they chose Dussatoir in the wrong year. France is in the World Cup Final, so a french player was needed in the list. For me Medard has been inmense this season, he would be my choice from the french team.

But what's the point then of having it every year then??

The players picked, was picked on the performances of the last Rugby year, which is now at an end. the guys they picked are very suspect to say the least... where you say they need to prove continuity, what does that have to do with being nominated for player of the year?? To me, if you played brilliantly in the last year, then you must be picked on those performances alone, not what you did 2 or 3 years ago or what you still have to do... Just the year we are in. and there are a lot of other players that deserves to be nominated above some of these guys...

As has been said O'Brien should be on it. From those their I'd pick Pocock. How Weepu is there is beyond me. Almost like when McCaw missed half the year O'Driscoll had his best and McCaw ****ing wins.

As has been said O'Brien should be on it. From those their I'd pick Pocock. How Weepu is there is beyond me. Almost like when McCaw missed half the year O'Driscoll had his best and McCaw ****ing wins.

I respect your opinion about O'Brien but I have to disagree. He is non existent on defence and wasn't impressive against Wales. I prefer Kaino as the best blindside.

Genia deserves to be there was good in Super Rugby and 3nations. Didn't have as bad a WC as some people are saying.

Genia deserves to be there was good in Super Rugby and 3nations. Didn't have as bad a WC as some people are saying.

Genia deserves to be there but won't win it. Tri-Nations and Super Rugby don't matter if you can't win the World Cup. Look at the 2007 winner with Bryan Habana and 2003 with Jonny Wilkinson.

For me it has to be Kaino - he has absolutely immense all season. Pocock would be my second choice.

I'm guessing that Warburton would have been on this list, but the IRB probably didn't want to be seen pro a player that has just been red-carded and handed a 3 week suspension, which is a bit of a shame as he's been aswsome all year for Wales. Not sure how SOB has missed out either, he's been excellent.

I think Kaino should win, although Pocock comes close.

Only the Welsh are saying Warburton and only the Irish are saying O'Brien, which is why neither of them will win, a true IRB player of the year will make you take off your biased glasses and see the true level of skill.

I think Warburton and SOB should both be on it, and I'm neither Irish nor Welsh (I also was the first person to say SOB ;))
Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif

I respect your opinion about O'Brien but I have to disagree. He is non existent on defence and wasn't impressive against Wales. I prefer Kaino as the best blindside.
Bullshit he constantly has the highest tackle count on the park. Educate yourself.

Latest posts