• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

IRB Player of the Year 2011

Who do you think should be the IRB International Player of the Year for 2011?

• Thierry Dusatoir

Votes: 16 21.6%
  • Will Genia

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Jerome Kaino

Votes: 28 37.8%
  • Ma'a Nonu

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • David Pocock

Votes: 17 23.0%
  • Piri Weepu

Votes: 5 6.8%

• Total voters
Watch him play. made some smashing challenges throughout the campaign , a tackle is a tackle , just because he does not flip people onto their skulls does not make him a weak defender .

And yes tackle count regardless of him being a 7 or not means a massive amount.

Positions on field, relative to who is around you, who you're tackling, space you are defending and technique. Yeah, he's a crap defender based on those things.

I am consistently one of the more level headed and critical posters here...I do my best to give a fair and reasoned argument.

SOB is a smashing defender , a barnstorming runner and is only going to get better and mature... your argument on his positioning and defence of space is naught without showing numerous occasions of him being caught out badly on D.

Do that and I will agree his defence is poor.

Sean O'Brien is a top quality player from what I saw of him at the world cup. I haven't seen enough of him to know whether he deserves to be in this but he definitely impressed me.

Kaino has been the best out of those players, you could argue he has been man of the match in every world cup game that the All Blacks played. I like he fact that he stepped up when we had injuries to Read and McCaw.

How did they come up with this list? are they nominated or is there some sort of point system like the have in football?

When Mike Balir was nominated in 2008, and McCaw won it in 2009, I lost my faith in this award...

I actually think Schalk Burger has been just as good as Kaino in this tournament, if not better. I can't stand Burger, but he played monstrously in every match. I just don't know what's with all the Kaino worship, He plays well, but he never does anything extraordinary. Maybe it's just because I focus on Reid too much. haha.

Last edited:
I actually think Schalk Burger has been just as good as Kaino in this tournament, if not better. I can't stand Burger, but he played monstrously in every match. I just don't know what's with all the Kaino worship, He plays well, but he never does anything extraordinary. Maybe it's just because I focus on Reid too much. haha.

I disagree - I've seen Kaino do some extraordinary things in almost every game he has played this tournament. He is rock solid in defense, and is one of the most devastating defenders in the game - he often drives people back with his tackles. His try saving tackle on Ioane in the recent match was pretty exceptional - Ioane was basically over the try line when Kaino got to him; Kaino simply picked him up off the ground and drove him back from the line. His work in he tight remains a strength, and his work at the breakdown has come to the fore this tournament too. His running game, however, is where he has really excelled this tournament. He seems to be breaking tackles almost every time he gets the ball. I'd be surprised if any loose-forward in the tournament has broken as many tackles as him. Even when he has been tackled he has an amazing ability to keep driving forward - often he gains another 5+ metres with 2-3 defending players hanging off him. If there is a player of the tournament award I'd say he'd win it.

If there is a player of the tournament award I'd say he'd win it.

Israel Dagg has been by far the best player in this tournament in my opinion. I said before this tournament that if New Zealand don't play Dagg, then their try scoring opportunities will be halved. He is the best attacking player in rugby. No question. I cannot believe Weepu was nominated, but Dagg not. Absolutely ridiculous.

Israel Dagg has been by far the best player in this tournament in my opinion. I said before this tournament that if New Zealand don't play Dagg, then their try scoring opportunities will be halved. He is the best attacking player in rugby. No question. I cannot believe Weepu was nominated, but Dagg not. Absolutely ridiculous.

Without Kaino, Dagg wouldn't have the attacking platform he gets. The way Kaino can get messy static ball and monster his way over the advantage line is the single most important part of the AB gameplan.

Dagg has been very good, but he's been nowhere near as vital to the AB's as Kaino in my opinion. He was very impressive vs Tonga, France, and Australia, but was quiet against Canada, and didn't play against Japan and Argentina. In contrast Kaino has been equally (if not more) impressive in every game of the tournament. Dagg is certainly among the most dangerous attacking players in world rugby, but he is still error prone at times.

Last edited:
Dagg has been very good, but he's been nowhere near as vital to the AB's as Kaino in my opinion. He was very impressive vs Tonga, France, and Australia, but was quiet against Canada, and didn't play against Japan and Argentina. In contrast Kaino has been equally (if not more) impressive in every game of the tournament. Dagg is certainly among the most dangerous attacking players in world rugby, but he is still error prone at times.

Do you still miss Mills do you lol?, Please Daggs been the best Fullback the whole cup hands down!!! He should have played Canada at Fullback, no reason to play him out of position. Dagg was better than Kaino on Sunday, he was the AB's only attacking threat, Kaino was slightly overshadowed by an improving Read and McCaw. Kaino was good, but Dagg gave us an edge.

You will probably still accuse Dagg of turning over the ball heaps, he hasn't turned it over once in the Cup. He may make the odd mistake, but so does everyone.

Kaino has been my player of the tournament, but if Dagg kills it in the final, I would go his way.

Do you still miss Mills do you lol?, Please Daggs been the best Fullback the whole cup hands down!!! He should have played Canada at Fullback, no reason to play him out of position. Dagg was better than Kaino on Sunday, he was the AB's only attacking threat, Kaino was slightly overshadowed by an improving Read and McCaw. Kaino was good, but Dagg gave us an edge.

You will probably still accuse Dagg of turning over the ball heaps, he hasn't turned it over once in the Cup. He may make the odd mistake, but so does everyone.

Kaino has been my player of the tournament, but if Dagg kills it in the final, I would go his way.

No I don't miss Muliaina (I actually prefer both Toeava and Ben Smith!), and have never denied Dagg has been the best fullback in the RWC - where did you get that bizarre idea from? I've simply pointed out that Kaino has probably been probably the best player in the RWC (which you seem to agree with!).

Last edited:

What? why don't people give kaino credit?? he was overshadowed by richie and read?? What?? nah mate he was not.

richie and read need kaino as much as kaino needs them both. kaino is currently the better ball runner and defender out of the three. did you also see kaino pick up pocock and drive him back close to his own try line?

anyways i dont think anyone was overshadowed in that game except for australia. the forwards dominated and it gave our backs quality ball. without that dagg wouldn't of had so many opportunities. saying that though i think dagg is amazing, but he wouldnt be getting his chance to be amazing if it wasnt for our forwards.

kaino for player of the year and player of the tournament.:D

is there a minumum age for this forum, if not maybe there should be.. Jer1cho drives me up the wall, i cant stand it how much you whinge and moan about everything, bryce lawrence this, jerome kaino that (yawn), do you even enjoy non-south-african rugby ?

my pick would be pocock purely on performance

No I don't miss Muliaina (I actually prefer both Toeava and Ben Smith!), and have never denied Dagg has been the best fullback in the RWC - where did you get that bizarre idea from? I've simply pointed out that Kaino has probably been probably the best player in the RWC (which you seem to agree with!).

You always seem to have sly digs at him lol, you were pumping up Mills not so long ago. Mills is just about past his best before date tbh, and I don't think Mills has ever been as good as Dagg is playing at the moment.

As far as Kaino goes, yes he has been brilliant the whole World Cup. He was very good on Sunday, but IMO McCaw had his best game in ages and Read was also excellent.
Kaino has been given enough credit, he's in line for player of the tournament and potentially player of the year.

Dagg showed in SA he can carve up when the forwards are getting munched.

Latest posts