• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

IRB Player of the year 2012

Seriously though, if it were the "iRB International Plonker of the Year", Quade would win it hands down, daylight second.

I had no respect for quade when he was stealing laptops, over time my respect grew for him as a player and a person, however it has fallen in a heap over the last week.
I don't care about the whole quade v richie thing and the world cup booing, I even thought he came back reasonably well from his injury, but he just made a dick of himself on the rugby club last thursday, and the tripe he posts on twitter has forced me to unfollow him. he might get boo'd by both kiwis and aussies if he ever plays a bledisloe again.

My tip for player of the year is Israel Dagg.

Don't you think it's a bit odd to judge a player on just 7 matches for a whole year?

1. In a "normal" calendar year, any given top 10 - 12 side will play 12 - 13 test matches
NH - 5 x 6N, 3 x June Tours 4 x AI's = 12
SH - 6 x RC, 3 x June Tours 4 x AI's = 13

2. Have you ever heard of a player being awarded POTY solely on the basis of domestic/club rugby?

3. If you are going judge on domestic rugby, how low do you go? To that end, I would like to nominate John Smith, the 1st 5/8 and goal-kicker for my local club's 2nd XV. Twenty-nine tries in sixteen matches this season, with a 96% goal-kicking success rate for a season total of 439 points (average of 27 points per match). Would he be eligible?

1. In a "normal" calendar year, any given top 10 - 12 side will play 12 - 13 test matches
NH - 5 x 6N, 3 x June Tours 4 x AI's = 12
SH - 6 x RC, 3 x June Tours 4 x AI's = 13

2. Have you ever heard of a player being awarded POTY solely on the basis of domestic/club rugby?

3. If you are going judge on domestic rugby, how low do you go? To that end, I would like to nominate John Smith, the 1st 5/8 and goal-kicker for my local club's 2nd XV. Twenty-nine tries in sixteen matches this season, with a 96% goal-kicking success rate for a season total of 439 points (average of 27 points per match). Would he be eligible?

How is this guy not in the 1st XV!!!!!

I wish the commitment for the Tier Two sides was as good both from the Unions themselves and the IRB. Canada's schedule this year was 3 x June Tours and 3 x AI's(one of which isn't a full test since it's against the Maori) most Tier two sides have similar numbers of games.

Last edited:
Just to clarify a point (smartcooky already has it spot on...) - the award is only for performances at international level, and includes every international match from January till the last match of the season (e.g. it is for the calender year, hence will include this seasons November tests).

This is directly from the IRB Awards website: "The importance of the top three IRB Awards; IRB Player, Team and Coach of the Year can be measured by the men who are tasked with judging them. A panel of distinguished past players with over 500 international caps between them, will review and vote on every international match from January to the final test match of the year."

Last edited:
Robbie Deans - New Zealands best player.

...Well he probably was one of New Zealand's players of the year between 1983 to 1985, but I don't think he's eligible :)

might get coach of the year, .... got a pretty good record against all teams except the All Blacks ... still got the number two ranking

...Well he probably was one of New Zealand's players of the year between 1983 to 1985, but I don't think he's eligible :)

might get coach of the year, .... got a pretty good record against all teams except the All Blacks ... still got the number two ranking

Erm, nope... the Springboks are no. 2

Just to clarify a point (smartcooky already has it spot on...) - the award is only for performances at international level, and includes every international match from January till the last match of the season (e.g. it is for the calender year, hence will include this seasons November tests).
:eek: :eek: :eek: so the wikipedia article is wrong!!!

lol apart from the last 2 games, Habana hasn't done shite for 3+ years.

Good to see him "back" though. But not IRB POTY material.

According to smartcooky, you only have to judge based upon international matches, in which Habana has scored 7 tries from 8 matches.

:eek: :eek: :eek: so the wikipedia article is wrong!!!

Shocking I know :eek:

I too assumed the Wikipedia article was correct - I only found it was wrong when I went looking for a list of past winners on the official IRB site.

McCaw won it unfairly, and undeservedly in 2009, so maybe a Bok will get lucky this year.

McCaw won it unfairly, and undeservedly in 2009, so maybe a Bok will get lucky this year.

Oh get over it!!

Mccaw is the best flanker in the world, and no matter how many people bicker, ***** and moan, it won't change! any Prize he has ever won was fair and deserved.

Oh get over it!!

Mccaw is the best flanker in the world, and no matter how many people bicker, ***** and moan, it won't change! any Prize he has ever won was fair and deserved.

Expect in 2009.....he didn't deserve it, at all.

And another note, he is not the best flanker in the world.

Oh get over it!!

Wow, that South African win in the weekend has really put you in a good mood heineken. I almost feel bad that the AB's are going to spoil that mood this weekend ;)

I can't think of any flankers in world rugby that are playing better than him at the moment...

Last edited:

First work on your spelling... It's except, not expect...

and yes, he is the best flanker in the world! who is better?? Marcell Coetzee?? Pfffft!

Flo is better at the moment. Lydiate was better earlier in the year. That young Aus chap is blowing down all of their necks as well. Just saying.

Over time though, McCaw is untouchable.

Flo is better at the moment. Just saying.

Than McCaw? McCaw played Flo off the park several weeks ago. Just saying ;)

Last season, and for the start of this season, it looked as though McCaw's powers were fading, but he has been phenomenal during the Rugby Championship (I don't think we would have beaten South Africa in Dunedin without him... or Steyn ;) ).

Last edited:
Than McCaw? McCaw played Flo off the park several weeks ago. Just saying ;)

Last season, and for the start of this season, it looked as though McCaw's powers were fading, but he has been phenomenal during the Rugby Championship (I don't think we would have beaten South Africa in Dunedin without him... or Steyn ;) ).
You must have had your blinkers on.

I think Kieran Read is also up there... Goosen has also impressed...

Latest posts