• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland 2016/2017

Was impressed with Ringrose who I think offers much more than Payne (who is a solid defender).

That try Ringrose scored v Aus with his body shape and circular run looked just like a try O'Driscoll would have scored.

Just my 2 cents. Ireland's looking really good.

No you're not wrong Ringrose is a talent the like of which we haven't seen for years, but it must be said that Payne is pretty masterful in defence which often goes unnoticed. I do have every faith in Ringrose though and he could very well be the second coming of BO'D, but Payne is a serious player to lose.

Could Schmidt pick a Henshaw-Ringrose combo for the 6N?

Henshaw-Ringrose might equal short term pain for Ireland but probably long term gain. Payne's hit his ceiling at this level and that ceiling is great defender subpar attacking force. Who knows what Ringrose could be if he gets his head.

edit: I'm dubious about it being short term pain tbh. Only risk is it might come too soon in Ringrose's development and stunt him but it feels like he's ready.

Last edited:
Its a tough one for Payne no doubt but we need to start working options behind the scrum.

The fact we'll be replacing a 31 year old with a 21 year old is no bad thing imo. We've too many geriatric good defenders being picked. (i'm a geriatric too so i can say that:D)

The All Blacks are the bench mark for back play.
They don't score tries from brawn or static defending.
They do it with guile, pace, skill and improvising according to whats in front of them.
From Conor Murray to Zebo out wide the Irish have the players to bring that to the table. If they pick the players who can unlock defences with the aforementioned skill set they will score tries constantly and be a real handful to contain against anyone.

Ireland 25 or under. How are we fixed for the next 8 years.

Capped
Bealham, 25
Tracy, 25
Furlong, 24
Henderson, 24
Dillane, 23
VDF, 23
J Murphy, 25
Jackson, 24
Carbery, 21
L McGrath, 23
Marmion, 24
Henshaw, 23
Ringrose, 21
Gilroy, 25
Leavy, 22
O'Donoghue, 22
Olding, 23
McCloskey, 24
Moore, 25
O'Halloran, 25
Conan, 24

Some uncapped contenders - who have been playing regularly with their provinces.
R Scannell, 22
N Scannell, 24
Sweetnam, 23
Stockdale, 20
Lyttle, 19
Porter, 20
O'Loughlin, 22
Kelleher, 22
Heffernan, 25
Heenan, 24
Carey, 25
Blade, 22
Masterson, 23
O'Brien II, 21
D O'Shea, 23
A O'Connor, 24
Molony, 22

Not too many second rows standing out at the moment but they usually take a little longer to mature. Same with hookers.

Looking at the squad leading up to the world cup, it has changed a good bit. The following - who have drifted away for whatever reasons - were capped in the 2014/15 season.
Ah You
Boss
Cave
Copeland
J Cronin
Diak
D'Arcy
Fitzgerald
D Foley
Henry
Felix Jones
D Kearney
Keatley
Madigan
M McCarthy
Moore
POC
TOD
Reddan
Ross
Ruddock
Dom Ryan
White
Strauss

Of those you'd feel only POC and Luke Fitz would add somethign to the squad.

Latest posts