• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland 2016/2017

Well rumours are Payne is seem as the guy that covers 10-15 in 23. Murray also can play 10. And if it's Carberry on bench he covers centres too.
Not sure if there much truth in it but supposedly thats where we see a way to beat All Blacks.

Tying Joe Schmidt down to the Ireland job for another two years is absolutely massive. A first win over South Africa in South Africa despite being down to 14 men followed by a first win over New Zealand are huge achievements. He was absolutely vindicated in his selection for this game despite many being puzzled by it initially (although Rob Kearney did make two very poor attempted tackles for Moala and Barrett's tries).

There's a bit more depth now with Iain Henderson, Peter O'Mahony, Sean O'Brien and Keith Earls all to be plugged back into the squad. Hopefully we'll see Garry Ringrose, Joey Carbery, Finlay Bealham and one of Kieran Marmion/Luke McGrath get an opportunity too. I'd also like to see Paddy Jackson get a start against Australia.

Purely speculation but this is what I'd like to see against Canada (given the extended squad named for New Zealand game):
Zebo, Gilroy, Ringrose, Henshaw, Earls, Carbery, Marmion; Healy, Cronin, Bealham, Ryan, Dillane, O'Mahony, van der Flier, Stander

John Ryan deserves cap too. But you're right Snoop great depth all over and Schmidt is staying as he surely believes they could achieve.

I like that team Snoop, hopefully PJ hasn't done anything wrong and can come back next week because the thought of a Jackson Carbery 10-12 axis finishing games in the future is a wet dream of mine!

Think it would be sensible for Henshaw to have a weekend off after that. 13 tackles according to the initial look at ESPN, sounded right to me and he took as much punishment going back the other way.

I want to go ultra experimental for Canada. We have young guys who are extremely capable of playing international rugby and enough depth to rest every player who needs it. Ringrose, Ryan, Gilroy, Dillane etc all to start.

I want to go ultra experimental for Canada. We have young guys who are extremely capable of playing international rugby and enough depth to rest every player who needs it. Ringrose, Ryan, Gilroy, Dillane etc all to start.

Also seems like a good opportunity to reintroduce POM and SOB. Would love to see a back row of 6. POM 7. SOB 8. Stander. Also about time that Dillane gets a start as well as Ringrose.

Think it would be sensible for Henshaw to have a weekend off after that. 13 tackles according to the initial look at ESPN, sounded right to me and he took as much punishment going back the other way.
My thinking is that yesterday was only Henshaw's 4th game of the season so he hasn't had much of a workload yet. If Ringrose and Carbery start, starting Henshaw too will give Ireland a unit which has played together already. I could equally suggest Jackson at 10 with Olding/Marshall and Ringrose in midfield. Having options is a wonderful thing!

I'd like to see Carbery start against Canada with Jackson getting 30 minutes off the bench. Jackson backs up Sexton against New Zealand and starts against Australia. Ensures all three flyhalves get meaningful game time and gives Jackson a start against another high quality team having impressed so much against South Africa during the summer. Sexton seems to be getting quite a few ****ly injuries so it'd be great to develop two options behind him. Jackson and Carbery are the future.

But Ryan's work in scrum can't be underrated.
He's another who has made strides this year. A cap this November would be a nice reward for his hard work and good form. Marty Moore signing for Wasps has opened up an international opportunity for him in much the same way that Ian Madigan departing for Bordeaux Begles has given Joey Carbery a chance.

Entirely unrelated but what are the chances that the IRFUs investment in coaches recently have lead to this increased strength in depth? Rassie Erasmus has improved Munster's fortunes as did Andy Farrell's stint there last season, Graham Henry and Stuart Lancaster seem to have contributed a lot to Leinster's impressive form and trusting in younger players, Pat Lam has been a revelation for Connacht and Ulster, behind the scrum at least, have benefited from Les Kiss' involvement. All are bringing through new talent in greater numbers than before.

My thinking is that yesterday was only Henshaw's 4th game of the season so he hasn't had much of a workload yet. If Ringrose and Carbery start, starting Henshaw too will give Ireland a unit which has played together already. I could equally suggest Jackson at 10 with Olding/Marshall and Ringrose in midfield. Having options is a wonderful thing!

I'd like to see Carbery start against Canada with Jackson getting 30 minutes off the bench. Jackson backs up Sexton against New Zealand and starts against Australia. Ensures all three flyhalves get meaningful game time and gives Jackson a start against another high quality team having impressed so much against South Africa during the summer. Sexton seems to be getting quite a few ****ly injuries so it'd be great to develop two options behind him. Jackson and Carbery are the future.

He's another who has made strides this year. A cap this November would be a nice reward for his hard work and good form. Marty Moore signing for Wasps has opened up an international opportunity for him in much the same way that Ian Madigan departing for Bordeaux Begles has given Joey Carbery a chance.

Entirely unrelated but what are the chances that the IRFUs investment in coaches recently have lead to this increased strength in depth? Rassie Erasmus has improved Munster's fortunes as did Andy Farrell's stint there last season, Graham Henry and Stuart Lancaster seem to have contributed a lot to Leinster's impressive form and trusting in younger players, Pat Lam has been a revelation for Connacht and Ulster, behind the scrum at least, have benefited from Les Kiss' involvement. All are bringing through new talent in greater numbers than before.

100% agree. Also Jaques Nienber here too has been massive. Lancaster is having good effect on Leinster as you say and I still am far from convinced by Nuicifora role but the foundations and odeas of IRFU are right. Like even on international breaks provinces are putting out decent teams

Also seems like a good opportunity to reintroduce POM and SOB. Would love to see a back row of 6. POM 7. SOB 8. Stander. Also about time that Dillane gets a start as well as Ringrose.

A Henderson-Dillane locking plus Henshaw-Ringrose midfield partnerships would be very interesting.

I fear the day Heaslip hangs up his boots, he's not necessarily a better player than CJ but his skillset is needed far more by Ireland.

Its good to have them. They polish the rough diamonds and bring them on a good bit.

I think the quantity of players is a result of decisions taken years ago in the IRFU and provinces, like upskilling the coaches, player pathway improvements etc. Nucifora is still busy improving it and doing a good job. Beating the baby blacks and getting to the U20 final was another sign of improvement at U20 level.

I fear the day Heaslip hangs up his boots, he's not necessarily a better player than CJ but his skillset is needed far more by Ireland.

Same was said about much better players. The show will go on no doubt and improvements will continue.

Fair point on Henshaw's lack of game time.

As for the coaching investments - I think it helps and is the right thing to do, but Erasmus has been at Munster for not long at all. Kiss only really in situ for a year. Farrell had a brief spell at Munster etc.etc. Right now, the coaches whose mark you can see on the Ireland team most are Schmidt and Cheika and the systems they put in at Leinster. Also, credit to whoever's been at the academy in that time. Carolan has been as vital to Connacht as Lam, if not more so.

I'd add there's never been a coaching regime I've been happy with at Ulster. There's no question they've been asked to make silk purses out of pig's ears to an extent but equally, Ulster undercontribute because there's not been strong coaching regimes all the way through for a while. I get the feeling Munster's the same. Short term, the next big step forwards for Ireland is getting those two to pull their weight.

I'd add there's never been a coaching regime I've been happy with at Ulster. There's no question they've been asked to make silk purses out of pig's ears to an extent but equally, Ulster undercontribute because there's not been strong coaching regimes all the way through for a while. I get the feeling Munster's the same. Short term, the next big step forwards for Ireland is getting those two to pull their weight.
Ulster have a fantastic back line potentially but a subpar pack. There's not much a coach can do when he has nothing to work with. That said, Allen Clarke hardly inspired as Ireland u20 coach and has the Ulster pack performing poorly. From the outside looking in, Mark Anscombe seemed to have the Ulster pack will drilled before being turfed out. Les Kiss is giving Rob Lyttle and Jacob Stockdale a chance above more experienced players in a star studded back division and should be commended for it.

At Munster, I like how Rassie Erasmus is overhauling the playing staff. Darren Sweetnam, Tyler Bleyendaal and Rory Scannell are all taking the chances handed to them behind the pack. Chris Farrell should be a good addition if, as rumoured, he signs during the summer. John Ryan is a new player this year. Whether credit should go to Rassie Erasmus, the last Anthony Foley or Jerry Flannery is up for discussion but he has definitely thrived since the South African took charge.

Agreed on the role Nigel Carolan is performing at Connacht.

The next step for David Nucifora is to get some player movement between provinces. As a Leinster fan it's great to see quality depth at loosehead in Jack McGrath, Cian Healy, Peter Dooley, Andrew Porter and Edward Byrne. As an Ireland fan, surely it'd be better to have Dooley or Porter playing and starting for Ulster as the player would develop faster and Ulster would improve. It'd also give the national team more depth and improve standards across the board.

Payne is gonna be out for at least the majority of the Six Natons. Veeeeeery bad news for us because we have the depth now, but no one runs that D like Payne. Will see Henshaw and Payne in action hopefully and hopefully this doesn't screw our 6 Nations.

Was impressed with Ringrose who I think offers much more than Payne (who is a solid defender).

That try Ringrose scored v Aus with his body shape and circular run looked just like a try O'Driscoll would have scored.

Just my 2 cents. Ireland's looking really good.

Latest posts