• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland RWC 11 Thread

Well at TH - I would bring Hayes ahead of Hagan simply because we know alot more about him at this level and at European club level - Agreed not all great but at least experienced, Hagan might not be up to this level and needs to play with Leinster first. If he is selected and proves himself in August I'll change my opinion of Hagan.
At 15 - Geordan Murphy is an option (crocked though too), Felix Jones on form (but needs alot of exposure in warm up games), Earls (not as safe under high ball) and Luke Fitz but Kearney should (Like Ferris, Flannery and any others) be made earn the jersey and find form. I'd rather see guys tested in August that are on form rather than put all our hopes on some guys that aren't up to scratch, out injured a while or living on past performances but in awful form.
Players in that category - Buckley, Donnacha, Ferris, Kearney, G. Murphy, D'Arcy, Flannery and P. Wallace.

Feic I disagree too about McLaughlin been ahead of Coughlan and Leamy this season or Jennings. Yes I accept Heaslip, O'Brien and Wallace are streets ahead of rest in class especially the first 2 named but there is a fine line between the rest.

Well at TH - I would bring Hayes ahead of Hagan simply because we know alot more about him at this level and at European club level - Agreed not all great but at least experienced, Hagan might not be up to this level and needs to play with Leinster first. If he is selected and proves himself in August I'll change my opinion of Hagan.
At 15 - Geordan Murphy is an option (crocked though too), Felix Jones on form (but needs alot of exposure in warm up games), Earls (not as safe under high ball) and Luke Fitz but Kearney should (Like Ferris, Flannery and any others) be made earn the jersey and find form. I'd rather see guys tested in August that are on form rather than put all our hopes on some guys that aren't up to scratch, out injured a while or living on past performances but in awful form.
Players in that category - Buckley, Donnacha, Ferris, Kearney, G. Murphy, D'Arcy, Flannery and P. Wallace.

Feic I disagree too about McLaughlin been ahead of Coughlan and Leamy this season or Jennings. Yes I accept Heaslip, O'Brien and Wallace are streets ahead of rest in class especially the first 2 named but there is a fine line between the rest.

Why is Hagan dismissed and Jones isn't? Neither have played at a very high level so why should the Munster player get preferential treatment? Yes we've seen more of Hayes than Hagan, but he's shown constantly over the past 2 seasons that he isn't good enough. He is a huge liabilty at this stage and shouldn't be allowed to travel. Disgraceful performances in the Autumn and I don't need to remind you what happened against the Ospreys. If you thinks it's okay to bring John Hayes, then you're just letting your provincial loyalties blind you to common sense. Ask anyone else here.

No I'm selecting Hayes for experience and lack of other options. I did state if Hagan was tested and prevailed then that would change my opinion.
On Jones he has played well in the Amlin games and against Leinster and Ospreys in semis. Also he has been on the briefing squad and they are reasons why I include him in a more convincing way

I think jones should definitely be on the plane, but should get nowhere near the Australia or Italy matches. I haven't seen hagen play much so I don't know much him. Are Ireland playing in the Churchill cup this year? If they are it is a good opportunity for these players to prove themselves.

On the tighthead prop issue, Mike Ross is obviously a shoe in. I think there's going to be a battle for the second spot. Munster have jettisoned Tony Buckle and favour John Hayes again. We know what Hayes can do, as munstermuffin said, and at 47 years of age, there's no point flogging him in the pre-World Cup tests.

I'd be inclined to start Ross only in the two home games against France and England on the 20th and 27th of August and then rest him until the Australia game. Jamie Hagan should start against Connacht on August 26. The tests against Scotland and France away on August 6 and 13 should be a shoot out between Tom Court and Tony Buckle. If none of Court, Buckle and Hagan impress, bring Hayes to the World Cup and start him in game 1 against USA. Start Ross in every other game.

No I'm selecting Hayes for experience and lack of other options. I did state if Hagan was tested and prevailed then that would change my opinion.
On Jones he has played well in the Amlin games and against Leinster and Ospreys in semis. Also he has been on the briefing squad and they are reasons why I include him in a more convincing way

Hagan has played more Amlin cup than Jones and has a lot more experience in the ML. John Hayes' experience counts for nothing considering he can't hold up a scrum. Too old, can't do it anymore. You can't argue to have Jones and then say Hagan isn't ready. It's just ridiculously hypocritical.

I just can't see the logic in bringing Hayes. He's not going to suddenly regain his ability in New Zealand. He's been given enough chances in the last 2 years and I think it's enough now. He literally serves no function. He wouldn't make it anywhere near any other top 10 international team's starting XV. I feel sorry for Hagan as I feel he gets ignored just because he plays for Connacht. I honestly think if Hayes played for Connacht he would be warming the bench.

I just can't see the logic in bringing Hayes. He's not going to suddenly regain his ability in New Zealand. He's been given enough chances in the last 2 years and I think it's enough now. He literally serves no function. He wouldn't make it anywhere near any other top 10 international team's starting XV. I feel sorry for Hagan as I feel he gets ignored just because he plays for Connacht. I honestly think if Hayes played for Connacht he would be warming the bench.

Rodney Ah You > John Hayes.

At least he can keep the scrum solid occasionally. Also the greatest second name out there.

suprised by the lack of tom court here
surelyfor aworld cup a prop that plays both sides for the bench is good
he ma not be the best but better than hayes and alsomore experinced than hagan he may be no god send but surely a good solid sub

Court will be in the squad, hasn't been mentioned much because he's regarded as a bit of a given.

Court is a better loosehead though and well Snoop I would be 100% in agreement with your statement about testing Hagan in August and if he is good then yes bring him.
And Feic I agree Hagan has plenty of Amlin and ML experience but Jones has got the better experience of big games and intense pressure. At Connacht you are mostly against mediocre opposition as Connacht are often seen as a game to rest a few and rarely have the pressure that Munster, Leinster and Ulster have and thats why I think Jones is more advanced in that sector.
My point on TH is this Mike Ross is a starter BUT if Ross got injured it is a massive ask to just throw Hagan in on the back of ML and lowly Amlin experience. In an ideal world if he had a year with Leinster then it'd be a different story but he needs alot of gametime in the August games if he is to be considered.
I also agree John Hayes isn'y up to World Cup standard but from what we know apart from Ross no other TH is international class and Hayes is probably the best of a bad bunch because he has super lifting skills and it allows extra options at lineout.

Not so long ago I remember watching Munster Vs Connacht and Hayes seemed to be controlling the scrum well and was making mince meat of poor wee hagan

I doubt he was considering they'd be on opposite sides of the scrum :p

I doubt he was considering they'd be on opposite sides of the scrum :p
So I know nothing bout the scrum all I remember is someone saying Hayes was playing well :lol:

At tighthead I would really like to see Hagan given alot of games during the summer tests. I would rather take a gamble and bring Hagan who could either turn out to be a great or average prop than take Hayes who we know is not even H-Cup quality. At Fullback its a three way shoot out for me between Kearney, Jones and Murphy at the moment. If Luke returns to form he may be able to take on fullback again. Earls could do a job but he is playing really well on the wing and I think he could be easily found out at fullback. I would love to see Murray given a go in the summer. I also think we must play someone at 13 encase BOD gets injured. I would like to see Spence in the summer as I think he really deserves it.

Latest posts