• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland Squad Announced For RBS 6 Nations

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jan 21 2010, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ah, see this is the core of the disagreement. While alot of members seem to think it's geat to have options, I'm more of the opinion that it's good that we won't be up **** creek if we lose a man. None of the subs add a great difference in style to the starting team so they're going to be like for like swaps and they're not in the 1st 15 because they're not as good as the boys ahead of them. Hope that made sense.

Oh that's all with the exception of Leo Cullen who is ace and should be starting.[/b]
Sorry Cullen is great player but no better that Paulie and DOC and they get nod because they used to eachother for so long.
And I agree no player that comes in offers a great deal or has that POW factor but anyone who comes in doesn't weaken the team.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Jan 22 2010, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jan 21 2010, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah, see this is the core of the disagreement. While alot of members seem to think it's geat to have options, I'm more of the opinion that it's good that we won't be up **** creek if we lose a man. None of the subs add a great difference in style to the starting team so they're going to be like for like swaps and they're not in the 1st 15 because they're not as good as the boys ahead of them. Hope that made sense.

Oh that's all with the exception of Leo Cullen who is ace and should be starting.[/b]
Sorry Cullen is great player but no better that Paulie and DOC and they get nod because they used to eachother for so long.
And I agree no player that comes in offers a great deal or has that POW factor but anyone who comes in doesn't weaken the team.
[/b][/quote]
Paul O'Wallace?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Jan 22 2010, 12:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jan 21 2010, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
But they clearly weaken the team! Otherwise they'd be starting. Our probable bench will be:
Cronin - not as good as Flan, weakens the team
Horan - not as good as Healy, weakens the team
Cullen - Better than DOC, but that's another debate
O'Brien - Not as good as any our starting backrowers, weakening the team
Reddan/Strings - Neither as good as an on form TOL
ROG - Mite has done enough talking on this one
Wallace - Not as good as any of the starting backs, with the possible exception of Earls.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jan 22 2010, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Jan 22 2010, 12:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
But they clearly weaken the team! Otherwise they'd be starting. Our probable bench will be:
Cronin - not as good as Flan, weakens the team- yet
Horan - not as good as Healy, weakens the team - agree
Cullen - Better than DOC, but that's another debate - Take the Leinster Blinkers off mate, O'Callaghan is probably having his best ever season
O'Brien - Not as good as any our starting backrowers, weakening the team - True for now but this guy has future Ireland International written all over him, changed the Brive game when he came on for Jennings
Reddan/Strings - Neither as good as an on form TOL - yup
ROG - Mite has done enough talking on this one - Mite hates eveyone and everting though
Wallace - Not as good as any of the starting backs, with the possible exception of Earls. - Earls has the potential to be one of Ireland's best backs once he nails down a spot
[/b][/quote]

My 2 cents

bang on there jockstrap, especially re O'Callaghan, never has been a standout player but is far more affective at interntional level than Cullen ever has been. Cullen has shown that he's not up to interntional level, he's a quality provincial player but nothing more.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jan 22 2010, 07:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
bang on there jockstrap, especially re O'Callaghan, never has been a standout player but is far more affective at interntional level than Cullen ever has been. Cullen has shown that he's not up to interntional level, he's a quality provincial player but nothing more.[/b]
I tend to agree. In much the same way that Anthony Foley was a key player for Munster, Cullen is for Leinster. Neither have/had the all round game to be top international players though. Put Cullen in his provincial team and they invariably win. His leadership is vital for Leinster but not needed so much for Ireland where O'Driscoll, O'Connell and Rory Best (when fit) can take up the mantle.

What the hell are we going to do at tighthead? Hayes was murdered again tonight

Dont understand what your debating feicarsinn... isnt the bench for people who dont make the starting team so its always going to weaken the team when you bring on worse players... ya???

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jan 20 2010, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMachine @ Jan 20 2010, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jan 20 2010, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Incorrect. If we lose Flannery, Hayes, Heaslip, Sexton or Kearney the team would be massively weakened We don't have a second tighhead, Cronin is unproven, no second no.8, ROG is cack and Kearney is far too good to be easily replaced.[/b]
Partially incorrect. Cronin is a very good player even if he is not proven at international level, Court can replace Hayes in most aspects apart from lifting, Leamy isn't far behind Heaslip and pushed him out of the starting team against Scotland last year, Sexton hasn't even secured his place ahead of O'Gara but agree with Kearney not being replaceable...
[/b][/quote]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Cronin is a very good player even if he is not proven at international level[/b]

I'd agree, but Charlie Hodgeson is also a very good player.... for his club. The verdict is still out on Cronin till he puts a few decent performances in for Ireland. Remember he's replacing the man who was going to be the Lions no.2.

Court can replace Hayes in most aspects apart from lifting[/b]

Very debatable. If that were true he most likely would have gotten a hell of a lot more gametime before now. Won't ever be a starter in my opinion, that is if we can find someone to replace the Bull.

Leamy isn't far behind Heaslip and pushed him out of the starting team against Scotland last year[/b]

Heaslip is one of the top eightmen in the world. Leamy is not. Also he's injured.

Sexton hasn't even secured his place ahead of O'Gara[/b]

He is a far, far better player than O'Gara. Very few would argue with that. He can run, kick, pass and tackle, two of which O'Gara is useless at.
[/b][/quote]

I somewhat agree with you about Heaslip, in that he is one of the key members of our team and probably 1 of the most hard working effective number eights in the world. But if he were injured I'd be confident that David Wallace or 1 of our several quality blindsides could fill in at 8.

I'd be more worried if Sexton was injured because I have a really great feeling about him. He's really giving our team a look of quality about it. How we won a grand slam with a number 10 who can't tackle and who had no one threatening to replace him speaks volumes for the other players on the team.

Flannery is a big loss, to early to tell with Cronin. Fingers crossed is all I can say

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King D'arcy @ Jan 23 2010, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jan 20 2010, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMachine @ Jan 20 2010, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jan 20 2010, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Incorrect. If we lose Flannery, Hayes, Heaslip, Sexton or Kearney the team would be massively weakened We don't have a second tighhead, Cronin is unproven, no second no.8, ROG is cack and Kearney is far too good to be easily replaced.[/b]
Partially incorrect. Cronin is a very good player even if he is not proven at international level, Court can replace Hayes in most aspects apart from lifting, Leamy isn't far behind Heaslip and pushed him out of the starting team against Scotland last year, Sexton hasn't even secured his place ahead of O'Gara but agree with Kearney not being replaceable...
[/b][/quote]

Cronin is a very good player even if he is not proven at international level[/b]

I'd agree, but Charlie Hodgeson is also a very good player.... for his club. The verdict is still out on Cronin till he puts a few decent performances in for Ireland. Remember he's replacing the man who was going to be the Lions no.2.

Court can replace Hayes in most aspects apart from lifting[/b]

Very debatable. If that were true he most likely would have gotten a hell of a lot more gametime before now. Won't ever be a starter in my opinion, that is if we can find someone to replace the Bull.

Leamy isn't far behind Heaslip and pushed him out of the starting team against Scotland last year[/b]

Heaslip is one of the top eightmen in the world. Leamy is not. Also he's injured.

Sexton hasn't even secured his place ahead of O'Gara[/b]

He is a far, far better player than O'Gara. Very few would argue with that. He can run, kick, pass and tackle, two of which O'Gara is useless at.
[/b][/quote]

I somewhat agree with you about Heaslip, in that he is one of the key members of our team and probably 1 of the most hard working effective number eights in the world. But if he were injured I'd be confident that David Wallace or 1 of our several quality blindsides could fill in at 8.

I'd be more worried if Sexton was injured because I have a really great feeling about him. He's really giving our team a look of quality about it. How we won a grand slam with a number 10 who can't tackle and who had no one threatening to replace him speaks volumes for the other players on the team.

Flannery is a big loss, to early to tell with Cronin. Fingers crossed is all I can say
[/b][/quote]
Agree that what is special about Sexton is he a better player when we playin running game and is is the better 10 to release players but if we playing a kicking and teritorial game then ROG is the better option (especially as his form has improved massively since the AI's)

Obviously if we loose and of first 15 we'd be weakened my point was though that we'd still be competitive and have chance of winning (unless we loose 5/6 players all at once)
My biggest concern would be the prop situation and Feicarsinn I don't really agree with alot about your bench but do agree Horan is not ready for 6Nations.
As for Wallace, I think Earls is having great season and is going to be an absolute gem for Ireland in future. But I think Wallace is capable of coming in at centre if required.

But do we fancy O'Brien to be on bench for Ireland if he isn't experienced enough and can't start for Leinster.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noidsay @ Jan 22 2010, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What the hell are we going to do at tighthead? Hayes was murdered again tonight[/b]
No idea. Hayes is still the best option although it might be worthwhile testing Tom Court at tighthead in the A games. Mike Ross, Declan Fitzpatrick and Tony Buckley aren't good enough at the moment.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King D'arcy @ Jan 23 2010, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
How we won a grand slam with a number 10 who can't tackle and who had no one threatening to replace him speaks volumes for the other players on the team.[/b]
We did because David Wallace worked his socks off making most tackles coming down the ten channell and because in attack O'Gara cannot attack the line but he is a great distrubuter of the ball and and has a nice cross field kick :D ...

Read in the paper this morning Cronin went off with an ancle injury against Madrid... anyone know anything about it???

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Jan 20 2010, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMachine @ Jan 20 2010, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King D'arcy @ Jan 20 2010, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really hope D'Arcy gets started at 12 ahead of Paddy Wallace. I just think he's far more threatening. You have to trust Kidney's judgement though. He knows what he's doing.[/b]
I'd say he will... didnt expect him to pick Darcy last six nations but would be surprised if he doesnt this time even though Darcy hasnt done the most to prove he should be starting in recent weeks...
[/b][/quote]
Have heard he picks Wallace at 12 starting because D'Arcy is a better impact player of the 2 and Paddy Wallace is electric in training camps etc but the best thing Kidney has done is anywhere you look in our squad for the first time we have competition for places and I really believe (excluding Bowe, BOD & Paulie) we can loose anyone to injury and whoever comes in wont weaken team.
[/b][/quote]
D'arcy will start for sure. Especially in the opening match and the bigger matches. He and BOD are the best combination at 12&13, they just play so naturally with eachother. Why change a winning team from the start? Let them riot for the first 50-60 minutes and then start thinking about wallace. With all respect for paddy but if kidney is going for guarantees, D'Arcy will start.
Would be cool though to take the risk with paddy. I'm sure he'll do the right thing

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jan 22 2010, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
bang on there jockstrap, especially re O'Callaghan, never has been a standout player but is far more affective at interntional level than Cullen ever has been. Cullen has shown that he's not up to interntional level, he's a quality provincial player but nothing more.[/b]
I Totally Agree. O'Connel O'Callaghan are superb together. Leo is doing fine in Leinster, he must be doing what he does best, run around in blue.

Right, after Wallace's selection at 10 for the Wolfhounds this is what I think is going to happen. Only 1 of Rog or Sexton is going to be picked for the 22, Wallace will start with D'arcy on the Bench keeping an extra replacement spot open for whatever extra position Kidney decides to pick. D'Arcy to come on as an Impact player when his opposition is tired and if the flyhalf gets injured Wallace can always come back on to replace him(only problem is I'm not sure if the rules will allow a benched player to come back on the field if a player gets injured). It's the only viable reason for Wallace being picked at 10 I tells ya.

My team for the Italy game:

15. Kearney
14. Bowe
13. O'Driscoll
12. D'arcy
11. Trimble
10. Sexton
9. O'Leary
1. Court
2. Best
3. Hayes
4. O'Callaghan
5. O'Connell
6. Ferris
7. Wallace
8. Heaslip
Subs: Cronin, Healy, Ryan, O'Brien, Boss, O'Gara, Earls

I'm assuming Jerry Flannery is still unfit. Trimble gets in over Earls because he's playing regularly (and brilliantly) on the wing. Court is in better form than Healy and is a better scrummager. Ryan is on the bench instead of Cullen because he's younger, offers more with 2011 in mind and Cullen's leadership wouldn't be needed with Best, O'Connell and Heaslip leading the pack already.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Jan 31 2010, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My team for the Italy game:

15. Kearney
14. Bowe
13. O'Driscoll
12. D'arcy
11. Trimble
10. Sexton
9. O'Leary
1. Court
2. Best
3. Hayes
4. O'Callaghan
5. O'Connell
6. Ferris
7. Wallace
8. Heaslip
Subs: Cronin, Healy, Ryan, O'Brien, Boss, O'Gara, Earls

I'm assuming Jerry Flannery is still unfit. Trimble gets in over Earls because he's playing regularly (and brilliantly) on the wing. Court is in better form than Healy and is a better scrummager. Ryan is on the bench instead of Cullen because he's younger, offers more with 2011 in mind and Cullen's leadership wouldn't be needed with Best, O'Connell and Heaslip leading the pack already.[/b]
Wehay, thats two Court fans including myself... though you need another front row player on the bench by the new
rules and it'll have to be a tighthead.... <sub>tony Buckley???</sub>

Latest posts