Ireland Squad, RBS 6 Nations Championship 2011

Backs
Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)
Gordon D'Arcy (Landowne - Leinster)
Gavin Duffy (Galwegians - Connacht)
Keith Earls (Thomond - Munster)
Luke Fitzgerald (Blackrock - Leinster)
Shane Horgan (Boyne - Leinster)
Ronan O' Gara (Cork Constitution - Munster)
Brian O'Driscoll (UCD - Leinster)
Eoin Reddan (Landowne - Leinster)
Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College - Leinster)
Peter Stringer (Shannon - Munster)
Andrew Trimble (Ballymena - Ulster)
Paddy Wallace (Ballymena - Ulster)
Forwards
Rory Best (Banbridge - Ulster)
Tom Court (Malone - Ulster)
Sean Cronin (Buccaneers - Connacht)
Leo Cullen (Blackrock - Leinster)
Stephen Ferris (Dungannon - Ulster)
Jerry Flannery (Shannon - Munster)
John Hayes (Bruff - Munster)
Cian Healy (Clontarf - Leinster)
Jamie Heaslip (Naas - Leinster)
Shane Jennings (St. Mary's College - Leinster)
Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution - Munster)
Mike McCarthy (Buccaneers - Connacht)
Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution - Munster)
Paul O'Connell (Young Munster - Munster)
Sean O'Brien (Clontarf - Leinster)
Mick O'Driscoll (Cork Constitution - Munster)
Michael Ross (Clontarf - Leinster)
Rhys Ruddock (St. Mary's College - Leinster)
David Wallace (Garryowen - Munster)

O2 Ireland Wolfhounds Squad (v Scotland A, Netherdale, Friday January28th)

Backs
Isaac Boss (Terenure College - Leinster)
Ian Humphreys (Ballymena - Ulster)
Denis Hurley (Cork Constitution - Munster)
Keith Matthews (Buccaneers - Connacht)
Fergus McFadden(Old Belvedere - Leinster)
Johne Murphy (Young Munster - Munster)
Niall O'Connor (Belfast Harlequins - Ulster)
Tomas O'Leary (Dolphin - Munster)
Eoin O'Malley (Old Belvedere - Leinster)
A.N. Other
Forwards
Nigel Brady (Dungannon - Ulster)
Tony Buckley (Shannon - Munster)
Willie Faloon (Ballynahinch - Ulster)
Jamie Hagan (Galway Corinthians - Connacht)
Chris Henry (Ballymena - Ulster)
Kevin McLaughlin (St. Mary's College - Leinster)
Dominic Ryan (Lansdowne - Leinster)
Donnacha Ryan (Shannon - Munster)
Devin Toner (Lansdowne - Leinster)
Dan Tuohy (Ballymena - Ulster)
Damien Varley (Garryowen - Munster)
Brett Wilkinson (Galwegians - Connacht)

Same old same old in the Ireland main squad

Really looking forward to Saxons v Wolfhounds though,
Johne Murphy, Dan Tuohy, Devin Toner, Varley all top players (can't believe Varley's only in the Wolfhounds - then again Flannery won't last more than 20minutes of his first match, so he'll probably be called up)
But then you've Buckley in the front row, up against Joe Marler :p

Just noticed that Fionn Carr isn't even in the Wolfhounds? Say whaaaaat?

Last edited:
Lads I rate Ruddock but how is he ahead of Domnic Ryan

Varley, McFadden and few others must be lost for words

A quick overview of the senior squad:
Ospreys -1
Leinster - 13
Connacht - 3
Munster - 10
Ulster - 5

A fair reflection of form?

Winners:
Shane Horgan
Gavin Duffy
Leo Cullen
Jerry Flannery
Shane Jennings
Mike McCarthy
Mike Ross
Rhys Ruddock

Lucky:
Luke Fitzgerald
John Hayes
Mick O'Driscoll

Unlucky:
Dan Tuohy
Fergus McFadden
Damien Varley

Surprise (yet welcome) omissions:
Tomas O'Leary
Tony Buckle

My only fear is will we be picking on form or reputation and who has big contracts

I happy Fla in but how does 20 mins justify him over Varley (who has been better than Best too)

I'd say Flannery was in the lucky pile, considering how long he's spent injured this season
I also think MickO has been on good form too (though with Cullen/O'Connell/DOC already there for 'experience' they should've put Toner or Tuohy in there over him ((or DOC)))

Putting more body on the last post, hopefully Declan Kidney now sees the folly of picking Tony Buckle. Selecting Mike Ross ahead of him is long overdue. When will he see past his man crush on John Hayes though? Jamie Hagan is far more deserving of a squad place.

Also I can't understand why Rhys Ruddock is in the squad ahead of Dominic Ryan and Jerry Flannery gets in ahead of Damien Varley.

Finally, congrats to Mike McCarthy on his unexpected call up.

That's not so bad really. We've seen some far dafter looking squads announced than that.

Varley not being up there is a Discgraceus Maximus. And the Ruddock decison is just ever so slightly mad.

And why aren't we trying to sign Beckham on loan from LA Galaxy? Shocker.

I've no problem with Duffy at 15 as he is a fullback but I won't be surprised if we pick a horrible 22.
I've a feeling Cronin O'Brien Earls Ross and Stringer will all be left out of starting 15 which is a worry

yess ross!!!!!

but o'connor a wolfhound??? why god why!! should be steenson

flannery will get injured his first game varley will go up

Last edited:
Gareth Steenson and especially Ian Keatley would have been better choices than Niall O'Connor. Hell, even Ian Madigan has probably played more rugby and shown better form than O'Connor this season. Is O'Connor being rewarded for moving to Connacht or does Declan Kidney rate him?

I didn't really pay too much attention to the A squad but having looked at it now, I'm delighted for Eoin O'Malley and Dominic Ryan, each of whom are having breakout seasons.

I'd just like to know how the pick some guys like I agree with Paul O'Connell been included due to experience over form in circumstances that no1 else was banging door down.

But why Flannery when you are leaving out a player in great form and of similar capabilities in Varley.
Ruddock over Domnic Ryan who always seems to impress and seems to love physical battles.
I think McFadden should be there because he is versatile and in form.

And this might be a harsh comment but we all know it -
Declan Kidney won't pick Shaggy and he is probably finished at this level so can I ask why don't we pick an Eoghan O'Malley, Johne Murphy or someone like that and let them experience been around the squad and help their progression because in reality it only a spot to hold tackle bag.

I am being a biased (fake) Nordie here, but Nevin Spence, Paul Marshall and Adam D'Arcy would have all got A gametime. Spence certainly should.

Also, Tuohy and McFadden should definitley be in the main squad. Varley probably should.

Steenson won't be picked as it'd cost too much for IRFU and they see no point in that when they have options for an 'A' game here.

Including Spence is a good call Peat. He deserved an A call up. I imagine A.N.Other is being held for a centre/winger so Spence may still get a shot. The other option is Fionn Carr.

Fionn Carr has dropped a long way down the pecking order.
Agreed though that Spence is deserving but what seems to be our objective with the Wolfhounds

Snoopy, I've mentally given up on Carr being given a go... Spence I think covers the most positions out of any possible choice and has the most action at the sharp end. Not to mention has future Ireland international written all over him. In fact, what the hell are Keith Matthews and Denis Hurley doing in front of him?

Steenson won't be picked as it'd cost too much for IRFU and they see no point in that when they have options for an 'A' game here.

Poor logic imo. Steenson would have been the first name on the team sheet if I were Kidney, as elsewise England will poach him sure as eggs is eggs. And I don't think Ireland have enough fly-half choice to sit idly by as one of their options is taken away from them. But apparently they do, and apparently one of them is Niall O'Connor, so... imagine me pointing and laughing at you.

O'Connor. More A caps. Srsly. Keatley's probably caught Fionn Carr's magical disease of "Invisibility to international selectors"

If A.N.Other is a placeholder for a centre, they could be waiting to see how long Darren Cave is out for?

If A.N.Other is a placeholder for a centre, they could be waiting to see how long Darren Cave is out for?

Most of the season is the best guess we've got. Certainly won't be back anytime soon :( In fact, I'm beginning to get dark doubts about whether he'll ever be properly back at all... this is beginning to have David Pollock mk2 written all over it.

So its not Cave. That said, Cave would have been struggling to get his place back from Spence, and thats coming from someone who believed Cave deserved a go in the full Irish set-up.

Latest posts