• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland Squad Named For Summer Tour

snoopy snoopy dog dog

First XV
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Leinster
http://www.irishrugby.ie/283_20886.php

The selected Ireland squad includes three uncapped players, with Ulster forwards Chris Henry and Dan Tuohy making the tour party as competition in the back row and second row respectively.

The other uncapped player is Leinster centre Fergus McFadden who, along with Tuohy, will be taking part in his first senior tour with Ireland. McFadden won the Most Valuable Player award when Ireland 'A' won the Churchill Cup last summer.

Declan Kidney's men will begin the tour with a game against the Barbarians at Thomond Park on Friday, June 4, before flying out for a mouth-watering Test meeting with New Zealand in New Plymouth on Saturday, June 12.

The New Zealand Maori team is the next opposition for Ireland in Rotorua on Friday, June 18 as part of the Maoris' centenary celebrations.

The final game of the tour will see Ireland take on their 2011 Rugby World Cup Pool C opponents Australia in Brisbane on Saturday, June 26.

IRELAND Squad (2010 Summer Tour, June 4-June 26):
Backs (15) -

Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)
Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)
Shane Horgan (Boyne/Leinster)
Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster)*
Geordan Murphy (Leicester Tigers)
Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster)
Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Tomas O'Leary (Dolphin/Munster)
Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
Peter Stringer (Shannon/Munster)
Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)
Paddy Wallace (Ballymena/Ulster)

Forwards (18) -

Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)
Tony Buckley (Shannon/Munster)
Tom Court (Malone/Ulster)
Sean Cronin (Buccaneers/Connacht)
Jerry Flannery (Shannon/Munster)
John Hayes (Bruff/Munster)
Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)
Chris Henry (Ballymena/Ulster)*
Marcus Horan (Shannon/Munster)
Shane Jennings (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
Kevin McLaughlin (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
John Muldoon (Galwegians/Connacht)
Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster)
Mick O'Driscoll (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Dan Tuohy (Ballymena/Ulster)*
David Wallace (Garryowen/Munster)

* Denotes uncapped player
Why is John Hayes there? Why are Mick O'Driscoll and Dan Tuohy considered better options than Leo Cullen? What has Fergus McFadden done to deserve selection? Why aren't Gavin Duffy and Fionn Carr rewarded for their good form?

It's a shame really, i was hoping that some of the older heads would be rested and a greater number of new caps would be brought along.
Very surprised by Carr and Duffy being omitted.

McFadden had a good volley of games when O'Driscoll was out and got player of the month for that period if I'm not mistaken, plus he's another kicking option.

Hayes should not be there period. Mushy and Healy should start all the tests to really learn their trade.

Why is John Hayes there? Why are Mick O'Driscoll and Dan Tuohy considered better options than Leo Cullen? What has Fergus McFadden done to deserve selection? Why aren't Gavin Duffy and Fionn Carr rewarded for their good form?

Hes there by virtue of having the most Irish name i have ever heard.

Lads I disappointed in this squad.

Agreed Healy and Bckley deserve starts to really test them.

But what a waste bringing
- Shane Horgan (32 in July and well Kidney won't pick him so that a waste)
- John Hayes (The man is burnt out and running on empty, we need him to recharge for next year)

And well I agree Connacht had a super season and deserved to be rewarded yet 2players in squad is interesting. Carr has to move to be taken seriously.
Also is Cullen's injury that bad because I thought Cheika said he might make final of ML.
Just funny selection if he fit as well Paulie isn't looking lkely to play. Like Cullen is 3rd best 2nd row in country marginally and well DOC POC and Cullen are miles ahead of other 2nd rows.

Lads I'm saying it now our World Cup could result in disaster if we suffer heavily down under but I know Kidney and he has something in his head so hopefully we can make this tour work. History show's we usually put it up to teams for 60-70mins then fall away.

Last edited:
We'll get ******* hammered by Nz and Oz, blood no new players and make our front line players play virtually an 18 month season.

What a joke, Deccie appears to be mad for a win down under, at the expense of blooding a panel for the WC AND not giving our best and most irreplaceable players the required rest.

Hayes, BOD, POC, Wallace etc. will be flogged down under, rest for 2 months, then Magners league, H-Cup, the AI's, 6N, more H Cup and league.

We'll be ****** for the world cup id Kidney does not sacrifice the AI's and/or 6N to rest players and blood new ones.

I'm hopping mad!!

ot a great choice hes gone for the players that are old noting really that new, this is last years squad. Unfortunately it seems that Declan Kideny has never seen connacht play, it the pack picks itself for me thtas just the norm with Bukcly an Court in 3 and 1) what would your backlines from that squad be then?it think it worth giving McFadden and Erals a go in the centaur try this for that babaas game.

so yea hears mine.

9. TOL, has gotten a lot better than he was in most of the 6N
10. Sexton
11. Trimble
12. Mcfadden
13. Earls
14. Bowe
15. Kearny, also back in form good to see.

Last edited:
leaving Cullen out is a strange one, unless it's the injury that's ruled him out, but then why is POC there, surely he's even less likely to be involved than Leo.

I've no issues with Carr and Duffy being left out, Duffy has nothing to offer at international level, the last world cup proved that and Carr is a defensive liability, he'd get eaten alive at international level.

It doesn't surprise me though that he's not gone for a weaker squad, the team need to heading back to New Zealand next Autumn with at least one win in the southern hemisphere under their belts, although I think Court and Buckley must get at least an hour in either test.

Carr is a defensive liability, he'd get eaten alive at international level.
I respectfully disagree. There's nothing wrong with his tackling. If he has a fault it's his clearance kicking once he's forced to chase back after a ball has gone over his head.

I understand not picking Duffy since Kearney and Murphy are fit but think he's more deserving of a place in the squad than John Muldoon, irrespective of position. Muldoon is in because Quinlan is too old and both Leamy and Ferris are injured - he's the last man standing. I don't rate Muldoon as much of a player.

well I've seen him exposed in terms of his positioning and his tacking ability so I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I know Trimble and Earls also have defensive issues but not as bad as Carr so he should be left out.

carr needs to move to get noticed he may be good for connaught but he would be better off mabey in the guiness notice how johnny o'connor and gavin duffys ireland caps stopped soon after rejoining connaught its not their potential there just not playing at a high enough standard every week they mabey be paying against a high enough standard but not playing it themselves muldoon is only there due to injury buckley should start over hayes buckley is are new big foward not sure if healy should start over court. courts a good scrummager but not as good open play as healy

I take it that Kidney wants the win down under and he will blood new players in the AI's.
Not happy that Hayes has been selected.
I would have prefered Carr to Horgan.
I am glad that Henry and Mcfadden get a shot.

we need to be confident going to the southern hemisphere there is know reason why we can't win however we will have to preform on the day. This is going to be hard on the older players they will have to be rested during some autumn internationals.

ross should have gone instead of hayes i think they should try court back at tighthead when he first moved to ulster he was tighthead that way with a healy buckley fron row with both sides coverd by court
horgan is old but still quite good if he can hold form untill the world cup then him infront of carr but thats doubtful carr is probaly a better option
if we get a win down under connor we will know that we can win big games at the world cup we can rest players at the ai

by the way cullen was denyed a place due to an apparent shoulder injury

he missed the semi so must be injured in some way
but if they can hold on for o'connel they can hold on for leo cullen he is better than o'callaghan
do you think bod sould go 12 alog earls or mc fadden the outside center?

yep If were developing a better squad we need to put yougn players in positions where there ability is put to good use and hey are cofident. I know people say why take the best 13 out of his position but surely if hes that god he should have the abillity to play 12.

Conal are you mad - Mike Ross ???? How'd you get selected for your country if you can't even make the bench for your province.

And lads for the comment about Earls defensively, I'd disagree with ye and having seen him enough I can say his defense, while still improving, is adequate.
Can any Leinster fans help - Cheika is saying Cullen might make ML final and IRFU say he won't make any of tour so there a major mix up in communication.
And well I'd agree with the comments Cullen has a better chance than Paulie of been fit (lets remember Paul's last game was in 6Nations.)

And I agree with Snoop and think Carr is deserving of a spot for his performances and like i'd argue he'd be better than Shane Horgan as Kidney won't use Shane as he thinks he is too old for the wing.
Lads also remember the Maori game is for testing players.

suppose so just think we need to see what tight heads we can get and to be fair van der linde is awesome would keep most people on the bench its just id rather not have just buckley and hayes as any injury and hayes is done will he be 37 or 28 for the world cup no matter how good he was id rather not have a 38 year oldon the bench just dosnt seem right at international
i think bod at 12 earls 13 im sure earlswould step up to the mark and bods defense could probaly make up for it ( well a bit anyway) carr im not sure but than again he has played really well give him a shot no offense to the westeners but plyingfor connacht probaly doesnt bode well if he wants to stay in ireland mabey ulster? as nagusa is leaving

People critisise earls' defence however I think his tackling is fine. he just needs to gain more experience. I would like to see Earls at 13 and BOD at 12. Sextin needs to play against NZ and the wallabies howevr I think O'gara should play against the moaris along with other young players like mcfadden, henry and touhy hopefully some of his experience should rub off on them

Conal are you mad - Mike Ross ???? How'd you get selected for your country if you can't even make the bench for your province.
I agree that Ross doesn't deserve a place in the squad but saying he hasn't played enough is a widely held myth. Leinster have played 27 games this season and Ross has played in 21 of those at an average of 40 minutes per appearance. Given Leinster rotate their props so much, that's not bad going.

Latest posts