• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland Squad

I'd like that too but it is Jauzion and Fritz/Baby we are up against. The French backs are miles ahead of ours, we have the edge 1-10. Should be a good game :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jan 30 2009, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'd like that too but it is Jauzion and Fritz/Baby we are up against. The French backs are miles ahead of ours, we have the edge 1-10. Should be a good game :)[/b]

well I don't think Jauzion is at the height of his powers either and Baby doesn't seem to be living up to his initial hype.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jan 30 2009, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jan 30 2009, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd like that too but it is Jauzion and Fritz/Baby we are up against. The French backs are miles ahead of ours, we have the edge 1-10. Should be a good game :)[/b]

well I don't think Jauzion is at the height of his powers either and Baby doesn't seem to be living up to his initial hype.
[/b][/quote]

Not so sure about that, Jauzion and Fritz are in excellent form at the moment. i agree about Baby.

I think Wallace and O'Driscoll sho uld be and will be the centre pairing. Earls and Fitzgerald will fight it out for the left wing berth. Fitzgerald should win that battle. Bowe will be on the right with Kearney at full back.

I think the fact that Kearney and Fitzgerald are now playing at full back and wing in recent games should see them start there against the French.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Jan 30 2009, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think Wallace and O'Driscoll sho uld be and will be the centre pairing. Earls and Fitzgerald will fight it out for the left wing berth. Fitzgerald should win that battle. Bowe will be on the right with Kearney at full back.[/b]

With Sexton dropped to the As there's no other outhalf to sit on the bench but Wallace. So we won't get to see Wallace/Bod.

Glad to see Earls in the squad, must mean he's fit. I think we're looking at Fitzgerald Centre, Kearney FB and Earls wing with Bowe. But wouldn't be surprised to see Murphy fullback, I know he never does the stuff for Ireland but he's been fantastic for Leicester when I see them....but then again, Murphy vs France never goes well.

Should be a saying "Never start a land war in Asia", "Never start Geordan Murphy against France".
has a certain ring to it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jan 30 2009, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Jan 30 2009, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Wallace and O'Driscoll sho uld be and will be the centre pairing. Earls and Fitzgerald will fight it out for the left wing berth. Fitzgerald should win that battle. Bowe will be on the right with Kearney at full back.[/b]

With Sexton dropped to the As there's no other outhalf to sit on the bench but Wallace. So we won't get to see Wallace/Bod.

Glad to see Earls in the squad, must mean he's fit. I think we're looking at Fitzgerald Centre, Kearney FB and Earls wing with Bowe. But wouldn't be surprised to see Murphy fullback, I know he never does the stuff for Ireland but he's been fantastic for Leicester when I see them....but then again, Murphy vs France never goes well.

Should be a saying "Never start a land war in Asia", "Never start Geordan Murphy against France".
has a certain ring to it.
[/b][/quote]

bad enough the missed tackle in 2007 but then he backs that up in Paris by kicking the ball dead when we were only 4 points down, no Murphy starting is even worse than Quinlan.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jan 30 2009, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
With Sexton dropped to the As there's no other outhalf to sit on the bench but Wallace. So we won't get to see Wallace/Bod.[/b]

I disagree. It could be BOD/Fitz in the centre but I wouldn't discount BOD/Wallace because there's no other outhalf cover. If ROG suffers an injury, Wallace will shift over from 12 to 10 with Fitz or Earls coming into midfield. There's no need to keep one of our form players on the bench just in case O'Gara gets injured.

Whilst Im sure Ireland will be strong this year I dont feel they can ever push on to a slam with their weakness at prop. I cant believe they still have no better props than Hayes and Horan. Rest of the team looks strong but front row is the key to everything.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Jan 31 2009, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Whilst Im sure Ireland will be strong this year I dont feel they can ever push on to a slam with their weakness at prop. I cant believe they still have no better props than Hayes and Horan. Rest of the team looks strong but front row is the key to everything.[/b]
I agree to an extent. I'm no fan of Horan - he'd rather be a winger than a prop, is an average scrummager (if I'm being nice) and is liable to be sinbinned for stupidity in almost every game. Hayes is often confused with being a great player over here for the sole reason that there's nobody else. However this season the Munster scrum has held up really well.

Horan and Hayes are the best options although the race for the loosehead spot is getting tighter- in a few months time there'll be a viable 4 way race for the 1 shirt with Horan challenged strongly by Healy, Court and Wilkinson. No longer will Horan make the team by default. While Hayes is still by a long way the best tighthead, Mike Ross is a decent option - he's far from spectacular but can keep the scrum held up. If Tony Buckley pulls his finger out, he too could be a good tighthead. Beyond them, we're hoping for some "kids" to emerge. Tim Ryan and Jamie Hagen seem best placed to have solid pro careers but it's up in the air how good they'll be at the moment.

In short, we'll cope at prop when Hayes and Horan retire/are replaced. While the alternatives may not be great, their lack of ball carrying ability (bar Healy) can be compensated for by a rampaging group of backrows making their way through the system. Ferris, Jennings, O'Brien, Heaslip, Pollock and Leamy can serve Ireland well for close to the next decade.

How can a "rampaging back-row" compensate for a weak front-row?
IMO the tight head prop is THE most important player on the pitch.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Jan 31 2009, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Whilst Im sure Ireland will be strong this year I dont feel they can ever push on to a slam with their weakness at prop. I cant believe they still have no better props than Hayes and Horan. Rest of the team looks strong but front row is the key to everything.[/b]

it's never been the reason we've not won a slam or a championship in the past and there's nothing in the opposing front rows that has me convinced we're gonna get destroyed either.

If Healy had been starting week in week out for Leinster he'd probably be starting ahead of Horan, he should certainly be starting prop come November if not sooner.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Jan 31 2009, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
IMO the tight head prop is THE most important player on the pitch.[/b]

that's not what he said, he said the backrow's ball carrying ability can make up for that shortcoming of the up and coming props we have, bar Healy.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jan 31 2009, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Jan 31 2009, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IMO the tight head prop is THE most important player on the pitch.[/b]

that's not what he said, he said the backrow's ball carrying ability can make up for that shortcoming of the up and coming props we have, bar Healy.
[/b][/quote]
Exactly. The props Ireland have coming through are adequate at scrummaging -certainly no worse than what we have in place at present. Where they fall down is in terms of ball carrying but we have some outstanding backrows coming through who can mask the frontrows deficiency with ball in hand.

6. Ferris 7. O'Brian 8. Pollack

Their gonna be around a long focking time together, And Pollack is turning into an awesome player,

That under 20 grandslam team is serioiusly doing wonders for our prospects; Earls, Keatley, Pollack, O'Brien, Cave, McCrea, Cian Healy, Felix Jones, Niall O'Connor.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jan 31 2009, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
6. Ferris 7. O'Brian 8. Pollack

Their gonna be around a long focking time together, And Pollack is turning into an awesome player,

That under 20 grandslam team is serioiusly doing wonders for our prospects; Earls, Keatley, Pollack, O'Brien, Cave, McCrea, Cian Healy, Felix Jones, Niall O'Connor.[/b]

thats not the backrow

ferris, wallace and heaslip

he never said it was it probably will be in about two years is what he implying

Latest posts