• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland Squad

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jan 23 2009, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I thought he was a decent appointment coming back from Saracens but to be honest the backline performance this season from Leinster has been well below par and given the calibre of player we have you've got to lay some of the blame at Gaffney's door. It's easy saying he's only had half a season but he also had a spell with most of the current players before he went to Munster.

Still would have given Humphreys the nod though.[/b]
Agreed 100%. David Knox may have had his faults but he managed to extract the best out of those at his disposal. Under Gaffney only Rob Kearney has improved from last season.

I wonder whether age has played it's part to an extent though. Shane Horgan, Brian O'Driscoll (as of a couple of days ago), Chris Whitaker and Felipe Contepomi are all in their 30s. While their minds may be willing, their bodies are no longer able to perform as they had a few years ago. The same goes for Ronan O'Gara although flyhalf is a less physically demanding position.

So what team do we want to see play? Or rather, what is the most realistic team that you would like to see.

1. Horan
2. Best
3. Hayes
4. O'Callaghan
5. O'Connell ©
6. Ferris
7. Wallace
8. Leamy
9. O'Leary
10. O'Gara
11. Fitzgerald
12. Wallace
13. O'Driscoll
14. Bowe
15. Kearney

16. Flanerry
17. Healy
18. Ryan
19. Heaslip
20. Jennings
21. Reddan
22. Earls

good call MunsterMan with your most realistic call rather than what you'd want to see. I'll go with realistic rather than personal preference.

15. Kearney, 14. Horgan. 13. BOD, 12. Fitzgerald. 11. Bowe. 10. ROG, 9. O'Leary. 1. Horan. 2. Flannery, 3. Hayes, 4. DOC, 5. POC, 6. Quinlan. 7. Wallace, 8. Leamy.

So that's the starting XV that I think will play against the French but I'd go for Best at hooker, Ferris at openside, Jennings at blindside and Wallace at no. 8 but then again I'm not coach so I'm just cluctching at straws if I expect my team to start against the French

I don't think Leamy will start at eight.. I would say Heslip will get the nod..

and you might see 12-D'Arcy , 13-BOD

Edit: and to add to that.. it is possible you may see a completely munster 1-10 and a leinster 11-15,

Now that won't happen but thats still an excellent team

1Hayes 2 Flannery 3 Horan

4 O'callaghan 5 O'Connell
6 Quinlin 7 Wallace
8 Leamy

9 O'leary

10 O'Gara
11 Kearney 12 D'arcy 13 O'Driscoll 14 Fitzegerald

15 Dempsey

I know thats not the very best 15.. but it's shocking how good a team you can make out of those two.

None of the other players from other teams are "first team staples" by any stretch.. Even Ferris,who is excellent, can be replaced easily enough by Quinny or Leamy(if you wanted to put wallace at 8 and jennings in at 7, or ronan)

1Hayes 2 Flannery 3 Horan

4 O'callaghan 5 O'Connell
6 Ferriss 7 Wallace
8 Leamy

9 O'leary

10 O'Gara
11 Not Horgan 12 Fitzgerald 13 O'Driscoll 14 Bowe

15 Kearney

In an ideal world I'd love to see a Wallace Earls centre parnership. With Johne Murphy and Bowe on the wing.
And Kearney full back
And it won't be long before we see Pollock at number 8...well it might be, but he'll still have 8 seasons left in him by teh time he makes the team.

1. Court
2. Jackman
3. Ross
4. Caldwell
5. O'Kelly
6. Neil Best
7. Sean O'Brien
8. John Muldoon ©
9. Isaac Boss
10. Ian Humphreys
11. Ian Dowling
12. Andrew Trimble
13. Darren Cave
14. Shane Horgan
15. Gavin Duffy

16. Sean Cronin
17. John Andress
18. Mick O'Driscoll
19. ??? (Quinlan/Jennings)
20. Peter Stringer
21. Jonny Sexton
22. Keith Mathews

....Possible Ireland A team. It looks like we might not get completely rapedby the saxons again.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jan 25 2009, 12:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So what team do we want to see play? Or rather, what is the most realistic team that you would like to see.

1. Horan
2. Best
3. Hayes
4. O'Callaghan
5. O'Connell ©
6. Ferris
7. Wallace
8. Leamy
9. O'Leary
10. O'Gara
11. Fitzgerald
12. Wallace
13. O'Driscoll
14. Bowe
15. Kearney

16. Flanerry
17. Healy
18. Ryan
19. Heaslip
20. Jennings
21. Reddan
22. Earls[/b]
That's pretty much how I see it. No 8 will be a tight call. Leamy hasn't played too much rugby which may count against him. I see no.8 as a 50:50 call between Heaslip and Leamy. The bench spot at prop could go to Ulster's Tom Court. His ability to play both tighthead and loosehead could swing things in his favour over Cian Healy. I also see either Andrew Trimble or Geordan Murphy making the bench in favour of Shane Jennings. I'm going to assume Murphy gets it.

The A team could look like this:
15.Duffy
14.Trimble
13.Cave
12.D'arcy (so he can regain match fitness)
11.Dowling
10.Sexton (should be iHumph but Sexton is named in the full squad)
9. F.Murphy (could be Stringer but I doubt he'd be "demoted" to the A's given his seniority)
1.Healy
2.Cronin (since we know what Jackman can do)
3.Ross
4.Ryan
5.Casey
6.Muldoon capt.
7.O'Brien
8.Henry
Subs: Jackman, Andress, O'Driscoll, Pollack, Boss, Himphreys, Matthews

I'd like to see Johne Murphy involved but he won't break through since he hasn't been named in either the full or A squads. Pollack is more talented than Henry but playing Pollack would unbalance the backrow.

All sounds lovely except I'd downright refuse to start Trimble on the wing coz he's a focking centre and wouldn't be surprised if he were to rip Williams' head off for ruining his career by playing him on the wing...when he's a focking centre.

Would have liked to see Carr in the squad. Think he's been quaility for Connacht aswell this year.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jan 25 2009, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
In an ideal world I'd love to see a Wallace Earls centre parnership. With Johne Murphy and Bowe on the wing.
And Kearney full back
And it won't be long before we see Pollock at number 8...well it might be, but he'll still have 8 seasons left in him by teh time he makes the team.[/b]

your speaking through your backside!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JohnBE @ Jan 26 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jan 25 2009, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And Kearney full back
And it won't be long before we see Pollock at number 8...well it might be, but he'll still have 8 seasons left in him by teh time he makes the team.[/b]

[/b][/quote]

No, that's what I'd like to see alright.

Pollock thing was a bit much. Wallace Earls would be class.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jan 26 2009, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
All sounds lovely except I'd downright refuse to start Trimble on the wing coz he's a focking centre and wouldn't be surprised if he were to rip Williams' head off for ruining his career by playing him on the wing...when he's a focking centre.

Would have liked to see Carr in the squad. Think he's been quaility for Connacht aswell this year.[/b]
Agreed on both counts. Trimble's best position may very well be centre at the moment. The problem I see for him is much the same as Rob Kearney's problem until a few weeks ago. There's a lot of competition for the Ulster centre spots (as there was for the Leinster full back position). Darren Cave, Paddy Wallace, Paul Steinmetz, Rob Dewey and Ian Whitten are all very capable centres yet none are anywhere near as effective in other spots (although Wallace is a competent 10). To get the best combination on the field, Matt Williams must play Trimble on the wing given Trimble's average (as best) passing skills and the ability of the other centres.

Come next season when Steinmetz and Dewey won't be around the Ulster setup, Trimble may have a chance to stake his claim for a spot in his preferred position. However would it be wise to move him infield at the expense of other Irish talent (Cave, Wallace, Whitten) or to develop him as a winger, a position where Ulster are lacking? Wing may make best use of his pace and hides his passing deficiencies. He showed in the November tests in 2006 that he can be devastating coming in off his wing a la Denis Hickie in his pomp. If he can improve his positioning, he could make an excellent winger. If he plays 13, he can be very good but will probably do his international chances some harm - Cave and Earls are better placed to be Brian O'Driscoll's eventual successor.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jan 26 2009, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JohnBE @ Jan 26 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jan 25 2009, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And Kearney full back

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

just in a different thread you said wallace cave

good province players doesn't make good national players..you can't change too much.. and you can't take BOD out.. he's still excellent

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JohnBE @ Jan 26 2009, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jan 26 2009, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JohnBE @ Jan 26 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And Kearney full back

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

just in a different thread you said wallace cave

good province players doesn't make good national players..you can't change too much.. and you can't take BOD out.. he's still excellent
[/b][/quote]

Yeahm you're right, I am a brutally inconsistant ******* and didn't even remember saying the wallace Earls thing. Looked srupid when I read it, don't even know why I defended it. Think Cave could make a good international centre though.

Any word on the Earls injury?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jan 26 2009, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Any word on the Earls injury?[/b]
Not as bad as first feared I've heard. He's been told to rest his ankle (?) this week and should be fine in time for the France game.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Jan 26 2009, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jan 26 2009, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any word on the Earls injury?[/b]
Not as bad as first feared I've heard. He's been told to rest his ankle (?) this week and should be fine in time for the France game.
[/b][/quote]

it's a knee ligament problem, he was supposed to have an MRI today, haven't heard anything yet on that though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jan 26 2009, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
it's a knee ligament problem, he was supposed to have an MRI today, haven't heard anything yet on that though.[/b]
My bad - I was only half listening to Shaun Payne on Newstalk and couldn't recall exactly what he said. What I did pick up though was that Earls' injury wasn't too bad and he'll be okay in a week. Personnally, I wouldn't rush him. Unless he's 100% fit come the France game, he shouldn't be considered. He's only 21 and there's no point rushing him back for one game when he's got a decade at the top ahead of him.

And O'Driscoll has just been confirmed as captain. Not surprising but news all the same.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_unio...ish/7853234.stm

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
"I am delighted that Brian has yet again agreed to lead the side in this year's championship," said Kidney.

"He has the leadership qualities which are vital at this level and, along with those of the other team leaders in the squad, will be important for the tournament ahead."[/b]

That is a f***ing disgrace. POC would captain any other 6N team, It's ridiculous that he isn't captain. :angry:

Latest posts