• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland stealing a Georgian prop

Mods should open a forum sub-category about "player poaching", and start threads by country.

Anybody got any average height and weight of Irish people and Georgian people? I think the problem in Irish rugby is picking big, tall players to play prop ie Buckley 6' 5", Hayes 6' 4" etc. The mechanics of the proping position means those players are at a big disadvantage despite their strength advantage.

Irish rugby is now starting to pick shorter props and we'll be fine in the long term. We'll have to wait a few seasons though. This Georgian prop might have gotten picked because he is Georgian and he might be no good. Some coaches are simpletons. He might even be better off staying in Georgia if the coaching is better than Connachts underage coaching.

If Ireland go down the road England have in getting players from everywhere to play for them then I'll stop supporting the Ireland rugby team.

I think Ireland gambled that the scrum was merely a tool to restart the game and placed more emphasis on having a big tighthead who'd play more of a role around the field and as a lineout lifter. It backfired big time because they failed to grasp that a dominant scrum gives a team a huge psychological advantage. That seems to be changing. Hayes was a man mountain who has now retired, Buckle is way off the raidar and the third enormous tighthead is Stewart Maguire who's failing to make any impression at Connacht.

Greg Feek has done a great job papering over the cracks in the Irish scrum but we're now at a point where more serious consideration has to be taken as to how to fix the problem. Short term, protect Mike Ross as much as possible and get Jamie Hagan as much intensive coaching as possible. If Hagan doesn't work out, don't be surprised to see Nathan White fast tracked - at the age of 33 - once he's qualified to play for Ireland. Needs must.

If Ireland go down the road England have in getting players from everywhere to play for them then I'll stop supporting the Ireland rugby team.

You do realise you're one of only two unions who stipulate on a certain number of foreign signings being non-capped guys on 3 year contracts, and I think the only only one with a full-time officer dedicated to persuading eligible players of other nationalities to throw their lot in with Ireland?

You do realise you're one of only two unions who stipulate on a certain number of foreign signings being non-capped guys on 3 year contracts, and I think the only only one with a full-time officer dedicated to persuading eligible players of other nationalities to throw their lot in with Ireland?
ohsnap.gif

Oh snap!

I don't mind players with Irish blood playing for Ireland ie Isaac Boss. I do have a problem with the likes of Strauss playing for Ireland if he decides to play.

It's not poaching or stealing. He was not a developed or estabalished rugby player. He came over to Ireland and went to school year. He then was good enough to play for ireland youth teams and therefore was picked as he is in the system. To not pick him would be racism and anti foreigner as he has every right to be on that team

KiramikashiwakAkivili sounds a bit Japanese and georgIan

I don't mind players with Irish blood playing for Ireland ie Isaac Boss. I do have a problem with the likes of Strauss playing for Ireland if he decides to play.

Fair enough, but in that light I suggest you retract your criticism of England, as the latest England squad only featured one player either not of close English ancestry or of prolonged residence in the country from a relatively early age, similar to the young Georgian gentleman in question in this thread, which is hardly 'players from everywhere'.

Plus, y'know, no project players ;)

Just to say Ireland u18's 25-12 on Sunday. Menuarigia came on after 46 minutes.

I've heard he can play at back-row
Do you know if he come as prop or 3d row?

Fairplay to the lad if he plays for Ireland one day, I don't see a problem with it but I do think Peat is right about the project players.
Whoever decided Borlase would be a good Munster squad player (let alone an Irish international) was deranged. Rodney Ah You is another one.
Not that I agree with it, but you'd think we'd 'poach' good props.
Steven Sykes was a project player too, which was just as stupid coz Ireland have great strength in depth in the second row.

Luke O'Dea was born in Birmingham. More Irish divilment.

Ha, by that logic Jamie Heaslip would be playing for Israel and Simon Shaw would have played for Kenya!

Fairplay to the lad if he plays for Ireland one day, I don't see a problem with it but I do think Peat is right about the project players.
Whoever decided Borlase would be a good Munster squad player (let alone an Irish international) was deranged. Rodney Ah You is another one.
Not that I agree with it, but you'd think we'd 'poach' good props.
Steven Sykes was a project player too, which was just as stupid coz Ireland have great strength in depth in the second row.

Ha, by that logic Jamie Heaslip would be playing for Israel and Simon Shaw would have played for Kenya!

And ROG would be shipped back to the states.

Here are some quotes from Irish fans on this forum just after Munster signed Borlase, in hindsight some of you got it right some got it terribly wrong ...

Wrong
images

Didn't realise Munster had snagged Borlase.

Sneaky sneaky there Ireland. He would have been All Black standard in 3 or so years anyway judging by his ANZC form. The Crusaders have All Black props on the bench so Borlase has been working overtime with the Canterbury academy. From what i have seen of him and Irish props (Hayes) he is a pretty awesome signing. He may even have an Irish granny if youre lucky

I could see Borlase playing the rest of his rugby in Ireland if he enjoys his time at Munster, he is a very talented player but the competition for propping spots seems to be alot fiercer in NZ, also once players leave the NZ system they generally have a very hard time trying to slot back in again. In Ireland he would get paid alot more and he would have a better opportunity to play international footie. It just makes sense for him

and in response to somebody saying he will never play for Ireland ...

Are you telling me Ireland couldn't find any use for a scrummager that destructive?

That prop he absolutely demolishes is 6'4 130kg All Black capped prop Jamie Mackintosh.

Can confirm he similar to Buckley in strength and can be a star asset.

The simple fact is we're short on props and well Borlase is needed. Also he is a handy prop who can play on both sides and well if we are realistic John Hayes is struggling and well I expect Buckley to be the Irish #3

Stephen Archer isn't good enough to step up consistently. Borlase is a necessary signing although I know nothing about him. In Horan, Du Preez, Ryan, Hayes, Buckley and Borlase, Munster should have a decent rotation of props.

From what I've read, Borlase is a very good scrummager.

you read wrong snoopy snoopy

Right
images

Bullshit signing. Should Munster develop a guy who has two S14 caps who can qualify for Ireland in 3 years or any IRISH tighthead in the country? We should never have been allowed sign him.

very silly move and not at all progressive. We'll be lucky if there are 3 Irish props starting in the Heineken Cup next year.

While it's always nice to be in the good books, I'd like to point a few things out. Ranger isn't an Irish fan, Snoop was only passing on second hand information and Mustermuffin had put up with years of Tony Buckle at TH. The poor sod.

Latest posts