• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland v Italy

Italy were not the better team, that's pure nonsense, we were woeful and still came away with the win, certainly worrying for Mallet as they won't come up against as poor a performance for the rest of the championship.

Ireland's performance wasn't unexpected. As most said beforehand, the wrong team was selected and it showed. What will O'Sullivan's response be? I'm guessing Horgan for D'arcy and let the others play themselves back into form. O'Sullivan is stuck in the past by remaining loyal to underperforming players who've done it for him in years gone by. A change at the top is needed to arrest the rot that has set in.

That's the worrying thing, Horgan has never played well for Ireland in the centre and Trimble didn't exactly set the world alight this afternoon either. So a puzzler for Eddie.

Total and utter load of shite. Italy were shite, Ireland were shite, atmosphere was shite. A complete non-event.

No improvement today over the past seven matches so thats 8 poor performances in a row. I'm really looking forward to hearing EO'S spin this one. If he refuses to shake up the team a little more, fire the gobshite.

Italy were not the better team, that's pure nonsense [/b]

Actually, a common concensus coming about was Italy were the better side but didn't take their chances. Reminisant of a certain Georgia match...

If Ireland had taken their chances they could have had 4 tries before half time. Italy only had one real chance and they scored it. Eddie needs too go.

Despuite the criticism of us, I am rather happy of Italy's performance. Sure Ireland were crap, but we also put them under pressure after 20 minute onwards and made it a difficult game for them. I am also pleased with the performance of some newbies to the squad, but in general we still lack a kicker of real quality. Bortolussi was quite shocking.

<div class='quotemain'> Italy were not the better team, that's pure nonsense [/b]

Actually, a common concensus coming about was Italy were the better side but didn't take their chances. Reminisant of a certain Georgia match...
[/b][/quote]

Well not like the Georgia match at all, Georgia managed to create try scoring chances, Italy had 1 and 1 line break in the match, they offered nothing, they missed 2 kicks but we missed one so had they all gone over we still would have won. Georgia had several periods of sustained pressure on our line, Italy didn't

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> Italy were not the better team, that's pure nonsense [/b]

[/b][/quote]

Well not like the Georgia match at all, Georgia managed to create try scoring chances, Italy had 1 and 1 line break in the match, they offered nothing, they missed 2 kicks but we missed one so had they all gone over we still would have won. Georgia had several periods of sustained pressure on our line, Italy didn't [/b][/quote]

The main problem was our game plan in the beginning. Kicking high balls and hoping for Irish mistakes... with Masi at 10 I thought we might play a more expansive and exciting game, but again we relied on the other teams mistakes, which didnt come often enough from the Irish backs at hand. Bortolussi not only with the 2 kicks missed, but his general play was very poor and this meant that the game plan would not work. That said int he second half we didnt create many chances, but we put pressure on Ireland and gained territory and that alone was more pleasing because recently Ireland have killed us in all aspects when we have met.

[/b][/quote]

To be fair to Ireland i cant think of Italy having any other chances except the try. Ireland missed a few sitters in the first half.

Total and utter load of shite. Italy were shite, Ireland were shite, atmosphere was shite. A complete non-event.
[/b]

Agreed.

Still a good performance from Reddan & Mauro Bergamasco. O'Gara was not outstanding but quite solid too...

I don't see this irish team winning at Stade de France next week...they lacks confidence and how long Ireland has not beaten France now ? 4, 5 years ?

It's 5 years since we've beaten the French, it's impossible to call it though despite our brutal performance as we don't know what to expect from Les Bleus tomorrow, however I won't hold my breath.

Did anyone else feel a slight sense of poetic justice following Darcy's injury? That, for any children watching, is why we do not tackle using a swinging arm - because it's not only the man you're trying to hit that can get hurt.

Italy were naive today, as ever. Didn't take full advantage of the advantage they did have, while they had it. If they had someone capable of kicking to the corner while the Irish line-out was creaking they could have put the Irish under pressure.

Then they allowed Reddan to not put the ball down when they thought he would in his own touch down area. 10 seconds later an Italian forward took the ball into contact when he should have kicked, and Ireland were back up the other end of the pitch thanks to him holding onto the ball. I thought either of the Bergamasco's deserved man of the match, just for their workrate. O'Gara & Reddan saved Ireland. Still I wish we'd won by 4 points!

Yep. Common consensus (over here) isnt that Italy were the better team, but if they had an outhalf like O'Gara, they could have won the game. No kicking game allowed Ireland to decide where the game was played.

Yep. Common consensus (over here) isnt that Italy were the better team, but if they had an outhalf like O'Gara, they could have won the game. No kicking game allowed Ireland to decide where the game was played.
[/b]

completely agree, italy need a dependable fly-half

Crap, I forgot the important word. i meant to say Italy were NOT the better team, but mainly because they didnt have an outhalf.

Despuite the criticism of us, I am rather happy of Italy's performance. Sure Ireland were crap, but we also put them under pressure after 20 minute onwards and made it a difficult game for them. I am also pleased with the performance of some newbies to the squad, but in general we still lack a kicker of real quality. Bortolussi was quite shocking.
[/b]
Totally agree with you.

I'm really glad to see Travagli playing in that way, even if Reddan was obviously a better player.

We MUST grew at the 11, 14 and of course 15. Canavosio is not a real wing and Bortolussi does not have the necessary skill to play at this level, IMO.

Greetings from Rome!

I think Italy can definitely take a moral victory from this. The tackling from the Bergamasco brothers was brilliant and Parisse was a revelation!

Is it safe to say that the whole "Croke Park factor" is as dead as "Fortress Twickenham"? If Italy can push Ireland this hard in this, the most sacred of Irish cathedrals to sport, then is any fixture there this year safe?

Latest posts