• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland v Wales

A

An Tarbh

<div align="center">V
warren_gatland.jpg
</div>

Both sides won't need any extra motivation but the coaches will certainly be looking to put one over on each other following the ignominius circumstances of Gatland's departure from the Ireland setup.

All that just adds to what will be a massive occasion as Ireland look to keep their championship and triple crown hopes alive with a victory while Wales look to continue the march towards their second grand slam in 3 years.

So what's it to be, Ireland playing for a Triple Crown and Championship at Twickenham or Wales going for the Grand Slam at the Millennium Stadium??? Either way it should be an absolute belter of a game.

Gatland is certainly raising the stakes ahead of this one and getting all the propaganda points to boot.

Originally posted by Setanta Sports
Warren Gatland has stoked the fires ahead of Wales and Ireland's meeting in The RBS Six Nations on Saturday by claiming he was warned not to bring Eddie O'Sullivan into his Ireland coaching staff.

It's been a long journey for Gatland since the fateful day in November 2001 when he was removed from his position as Ireland coach.

A glittering career at club level has followed, with Heineken Cup success at Wasps the highlight.

However, this weekend Gatland comes face to face with the man who took over the Ireland post following his exit, and it seems time hasn't healed the wounds just yet.

"When Eddie came to work with me as backs coach with Ireland, I was happy to have him on board even though a huge number of people had warned me not to touch him," Gatland told The News of the World.

"They said do not go near that man with a barge pole, but at the time I felt it was the right thing to do and I don't regret it, even if you sometimes get burned.

"Look, I am a believer in what will be will be. Had I not got sacked by Ireland, I wouldn't have got the Wasps job, wouldn't have experienced the English Premiership, wouldn't have won the Heineken Cup."

The affable Kiwi also went on to defend his record as Ireland coach, slamming the school of thought that it was O'Sullivan's input that led to an up-turn in Ireland's fortunes.

"I believe I did a good job with Ireland," he said.

"Under my watch, we beat France in Paris for the first time since 1972, beat England for the first time in seven years and we won nine of my last eleven matches.

"It's funny how everyone tried to give credit for that to Eddie.

"That view was put forward by one journalist, but then journalists can be like players and carry big egos.

"What pleases me is that my last couple of years with Ireland were followed by Wasps where I won three Premiership ***les and the Heineken Cup. Then I went back to Waikato and won the Air New Zealand Cup, which the club hadn't done for 14 years.

"So if I wasn't any good, my luck would have ran out at some point."

Upon being asked if he'd like to manage Ireland again, Gatland gave a simple answer.

"I'd love to," he admitted.

Originally posted by Setanta Sports

"I believe I did a good job with Ireland," he said.

"Under my watch, we beat France in Paris for the first time since 1972, beat England for the first time in seven years and we won nine of my last eleven matches.

"It's funny how everyone tried to give credit for that to Eddie.

"That view was put forward by one journalist, but then journalists can be like players and carry big egos."
[/b]

That bit there just just screams:

284.jpg

Gatland's jibber-jabber last week was putting the pressure on O'Gara. I reckon that's a mistake.

On the O'Sullivan-Gatland history, here's some good stuff from the ST:

Gatland had always seen himself as a players’ coach but there was a tension in his relationship with Wood. One night, when we asked Gatland how he rated his hooker, he replied that he was “a good Barbarians playerâ€. By late 2001, Wood didn’t rate Gatland highly either. He had just returned from a Lions tour when he had worked with Phil Larder and it confirmed his belief that Ireland needed a defence coach and a scrum coach. Wood asked for the coaching staff to be beefed up and resources were available, but Gatland was slow to respond.

“I had issues with Warren,†Wood said last week. “He did a remarkable job at the start when we badly needed structure and consistency of selection. But we needed to make changes that year, in getting additional coaches and things, and those changes weren’t forthcoming until Eddie came in.â€

Gatland was clearly hurt by what happened, and wondered if he’d paid the price for not being Irish. The IRFU did want an Irish coach in charge sooner rather than later but, in reality, they were making a business decision. They looked at Gatland’s success rate of just under 50% and reckoned they could do better. Over the next two years, O’Sullivan increased that to over 70%.

[/b]
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/rug...icle3466292.ece

O'Sullivan has made a major difference to Irish rugby. Plus Fester the PR guru is pitching in on the pre-match politics as well, with his criticisms over Gatland's scrum and defence coaching. But this time round New Zealand's "second best hooker ever" looks like he's got a handle on that.

Ireland will take it - just - and go on to a cunning win over England, finally securing a championship. But Wales will overtake Ireland next year - ochon!

Whatever, here's hoping for a classic match.

Well put Shtove, I too believe Ireland will take it.
Wales just can't seem to beat Ireland on a consistent basis and away in Croke may be a push too far for Wales.
I'll be blind with patriotism come a few days and will be adamantly declaring that we shall win, belittling all Irish people for having faith in their own team and generally sounding a little like Lora.

RC, I think you're one of the very few Welshman who isn't in the over-the-top optimism stage....yet.
And shtove, how dare you think that Ireland have even the slightest of chances against this Welsh team. For shame!

:p

Wales haven't been playing well in the first half so it's up to Ireland to put the game beyond reach before the Inevitable Welsh Comeback ™.

I think Wales could lose this one, just, but either way will go on to beat France at Cardiff and win on points diff which they're far ahead of Ireland on.

I can see Ireland losing at Twickenham anyway. England will get stronger as this Six Nations goes on, it's just a shame for them that they didn't put a heap of points on Italy.

I think it will be close, but Wales are on great form at the moment - look at the points difference! But for England's sake I hope Ireland win <_<

I think it will be close, but Wales are on great form at the moment - look at the points difference! But for England's sake I hope Ireland win <_< [/b]
... because when Ireland win at Twickenham it won't look "so bad" for you?

This is going to be the closest championship of all time. Disappointed with Italy and Scotland, but we've still got four will they/won't they teams in the mix.

Arrgh why did Wales have to start winning? I'm much happier when I know they're going to lose and there's nothing at stake.

The other night I had a nightmare, a proper fully fledged nightmare, that Ireland won at Croke park with a try in the last few seconds. Why do I care so much about a stupid game? :wall:

Oh if wishing made it so, I ask myself the same question many times, why get so invested in something that I have little or no control over, why get so wound up, why roar at a television set when I know I won't get an answer, why rant and rave at decisions taken by players, coaches, officials, simple cause it's sport and we can't get enough of it.

Man this is going to be the best 6 nations game in years. There's just so much hype about it from both sides. The Gatland v O'Sullivan subplot just brings it up tht extra notch, along with the inevitable Henson v O'Droscoll battle.

For me, both sides seem on very similar pegging at the moment, Wales with a slight edge in confidence, but Ireland will have the Croke Park factror, which should give them the overall edge.

Saying that, I believe Wales will just take it, but they will have to up it another notch from the Italy game. Also the probablity of Jamie Roberts coming back onto the wing (he was on fire v Munster on Sat) just makes me think we'll do it.

Good luck Ireland, and here's to a stormer of a game.

So bit of a headache selection wise for Eddie at full back and not in a good way, with Murphy picking up an injury to his achilles tendon over the weekend and Dempsey only on the recovery route from his hip injury it's quite a dilemma for Eddie who names his team tomorrow at lunchtime.

If neither make it I'd like to see Kearney at full back with Fitzgerald on the wing and leave Horgan on the bench.

well it will be interesting to see if Horgan's little indiscretion last week hinders his selection chances.

This game has all the makings of a classic: the build-up has started brilliantly and we're still a week away from the kick-off, the whole Gatland vs O'Sullivan factor has swept in, the mind games have already begun (most notably from Rory Best on the weekend). When the game kicks off, I have no doubts that it will be a superb game; the 80,000+ (is that right?) strong crowd will make it a memorable day, and both teams have plenty at stake and will definately be up for it.
The only problem with this game is the kick-off time. 13:15? Nice job BBC, as we all now know this game is not worthy of a later kick-off...
:blink:

The only problem with this game is the kick-off time. 13:15? Nice job BBC, as we all now know this game is not worthy of a later kick-off...
:blink: [/b]

Exactly right my friend. It's almost been put out there as a "warm up" (again) to the matches that are to come!
Come on boys from both teams, let's make it the best game of the weekend. At least then, when one of us goes home the loser at least it'll have been a great game.

Latest posts