• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Irish Rugby - The Party Years

Ugh...

That mixed feeling you have when you realise it might be better off in the long run if we're utterly stuffed at the weekend as otherwise the same tired old approach will yield the same tired old performance.

Would hopefully bring about something akin to Gatland's Scotland moment.

Wait so Addison was available and we put Earls on the bench instead?

uggghhhh

We're seriously going to regret that when the inevitable centre injury happens

Ugh...

That mixed feeling you have when you realise it might be better off in the long run if we're utterly stuffed at the weekend as otherwise the same tired old approach will yield the same tired old performance.

Would hopefully bring about something akin to Gatland's Scotland moment.
We've been stuffed three times in the last year (at the most generous count, could easily throw in the England warm up game and
Sorry lads, you're not allowed to be annoyed about injuries because wales also have some.
Especially when my point is really just that if Farrell did want to make some (much needed imo) changes his options have been badly limited by injuries to an often lot of the genuine alternatives to the starting team, best example is Doris going off pass than five minutes into his debut.

Or maybe POM himself played well. It was a defensive, backs to the wall type of performance and that plays to POMs strengths.
Regardless of whether he played well or not, he was not making big carries, which is what Thornley grouped him in with Stander as doing. He did well at the breakdown, although in my view not as well as Stander or Vdf. And was absolutely excellent at the lineout, as he always is. My issue isn't whether he's a top class player, because he clearly is excellent at what he does well. I just think we need at least a decent ball carrier playing in his position currently.

I also agree with what other posters have been saying regarding the front row. Healy was having a nightmare at scrumtime, and then both the starters were pushed way past where they'd normally stop. Hopefully they've both recovered but could be dicey.

3 year central contract for Ryan is good news anyway.

Yeah... great news that he is staying.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone put any credence in the rumours the IRFU push for the selection of central contracted players in squads, even if said player is not the best choice? (as a means of keeping a lid on provincial wages)

Yeah... great news that he is staying.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone put any credence in the rumours the IRFU push for the selection of central contracted players in squads, even if said player is not the best choice? (as a means of keeping a lid on provincial wages)
To be honest don't think it has much to do with keeping lid on provincal wages as IRFU pay all our bills and wages regardless as they own all 4 provinces. Its more a case of for example Cooney vs Murray. I'll mock up numbers.
Murray is on a wage of 300k.
Cooney 100k provincal.
Ireland play.
Conor gets no bonus Cooney may get 20k bonus for season for playing with Ireland.
Ireland win 6nations. Conor may get 20k Cooney may get 50k.
Ireland Management Programme, June to Jan. Conor can be ordered to only play x amount and tigher constraints than Cooney in Ulster. Issues like that

But when it'd come around to renewal time, you've got another man looking the wage of the guy he replaced.

The replaced man will not be happy with a wage reduction of that magnitude (If he is replaced. If the two are competing for the starting spot, then you've 2 guys looking the big wage).

But when it'd come around to renewal time, you've got another man looking the wage of the guy he replaced.

The replaced man will not be happy with a wage reduction of that magnitude (If he is replaced. If the two are competing for the starting spot, then you've 2 guys looking the big wage).
And that in a business world is why budgets are key

This is exactly the situation I'm worried about with central contracts.

On form right now Stockdale isn't even the best Irish winger in Ulster.

In two years time, we (Ulster) could be facing the prospect of having to pick 2 of Balacoune, Sexton and Stockdale... and the latter being the only one on the central contract but the other two more deserving of starting places.

Then when Ireland come to name a squad - you think they'll not ease a bit of pressure onto Andy Farrell if he want's to pick those other two and leave Stockdale up here?

This is exactly the situation I'm worried about with central contracts.

On form right now Stockdale isn't even the best Irish winger in Ulster.

In two years time, we (Ulster) could be facing the prospect of having to pick 2 of Balacoune, Sexton and Stockdale... and the latter being the only one on the central contract but the other two more deserving of starting places.

Then when Ireland come to name a squad - you think they'll not ease a bit of pressure onto Andy Farrell if he want's to pick those other two and leave Stockdale up here?

Both Toner and Jack McGrath had central contracts and we're left at home from the WC. I think it's impact on selection is overstated by fans.

Both Toner and Jack McGrath had central contracts and we're left at home from the WC. I think it's impact on selection is overstated by fans.
Isuppose it comes down to big money. Like a Sexton or Murray even Rob Kearney were on 300k and more. None were ever at risk. McGrath or Toner would not be on as much.
Maybe I'm wrong on that too. As is said it's like Sinn Fein politics in that noone knows who is running the show.

As is said it's like Sinn Fein politics in that noone knows who is running the show.

Ahh, its fairly clear:

• "Agriculture", Security & Internal Affairs - The Provos
  • Press office - The politicians
  • Economy & Finance - The fairies with their magic money tree

Latest posts