• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Irish Rugby - The Party Years

Interesting that we're releasing a lot of info now that was kept under wraps under Joe. Stuff like this, development players and the stock take aren't new but Farrell's approach to them is.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/keith-earls-brian-odriscoll-209600

Hard to believe but people are actually talking about Keith Earls at 13 in 2019. Was decent against Wales, give him his due but he's not an actual option there in anything other than a break glass scenario. To be fair it's in the context of versatility of the bench, but surely Addison is a better option from that point of view.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/keith-earls-brian-odriscoll-209600

Hard to believe but people are actually talking about Keith Earls at 13 in 2019. Was decent against Wales, give him his due but he's not an actual option there in anything other than a break glass scenario. To be fair it's in the context of versatility of the bench, but surely Addison is a better option from that point of view.
Yeah it is pretty crazy. He's just not a centre, even at provincial level.

Henshaw is the 13 who was promised. Renounce Ringrose and your false gods and worship the centre pairing who went to fight travellers over a stolen laptop. That's true chemistry.

Joe Marler will wave them through.

My knee jerk reaction 23 for Italy

Kilcoyne
Kelleher
Porter (time to back the form front row)
Henderson (we missed him today)
Ryan
Stander
Van der Flier
Doris (this at least should be easy)
Cooney
Sexton (isn't a better option in the squad sadly)
Stockdale
Aki
Henshaw
Conway
Larmour

Herring
Healy
Furlong
Dillanne
Deegan (him and Dillanne better impact than Toner/POM)
McGrath (Murray is done, Lukey is playing well)
Byrne
Addison (If he's fit)

Would be tempted to throw Connors in as well, if Rjngrose is fit he comes in too.

It's Italy so we can afford to be adventurous.

If Conway, Larnour and Addison are all out we might actually be on the verge of seeing Dave Kearney in the Six Nations so there is that as an upside I suppose!

Last edited:
I think the calls for new props are a bit overdone, I wouldn't be disappointed to see either Kilcoyne or Porter start I think they are lacking in comparison to the starters in scrummaging. I think Furlong's passing game is very important to us as well.

Kelleher has to start. I can understand his usage up to now but he's up to speed enough now. Herring is solid but he's just a guy, he'll never win us a match. Kelleher can.

Similar reasoning with Doris but I admit I'm not sure at this stage I'm not entirely sure whether it's POM or VDF I'd drop.

This changes I feel along with Henderson back in will make our pack a completely different animal, makes it so much easier for everyone having more impact carriers than not in the pack. Those along with Cooney and Ringrose would be the only changes I'd look at for now. There's still a Championship within reach and a summer your that will require loads of rotation due to a long season.

I think the calls for new props are a bit overdone, I wouldn't be disappointed to see either Kilcoyne or Porter start I think they are lacking in comparison to the starters in scrummaging. I think Furlong's passing game is very important to us as well.

Kelleher has to start. I can understand his usage up to now but he's up to speed enough now. Herring is solid but he's just a guy, he'll never win us a match. Kelleher can.

Similar reasoning with Doris but I admit I'm not sure at this stage I'm not entirely sure whether it's POM or VDF I'd drop.

This changes I feel along with Henderson back in will make our pack a completely different animal, makes it so much easier for everyone having more impact carriers than not in the pack. Those along with Cooney and Ringrose would be the only changes I'd look at for now. There's still a Championship within reach and a summer your that will require loads of rotation due to a long season.
That's fair about the scrum, our scrum with the first choice hasn't been flying either though and against Italy I'd trust Kilcoyne/Porter. Would probably revert back to the others in Paris.

That's fair about the scrum, our scrum with the first choice hasn't been flying either though and against Italy I'd trust Kilcoyne/Porter. Would probably revert back to the others in Paris.

I think the starting scrum has been pretty good really the obviously the Scotland game wasn't great in outcome but I really struggled to understand some of the reffing decisions. I certainly remember it going well against Wales and was at the least solid against England including winning a penalty that would have been absolutely key if we hadn't ****** up the maul.

Certainly for Italy I agree rotating them isn't a bad idea but beyond that I wouldn't swap them. Having said that we may be forced to start Kilcoyne anyway depending on Healy's injury. I just feel there's more important changes to make and am wary of too many changes at once.

Healy out for the remainder of the six Nations and may miss the Sarries game.

Munster have also announced while rehabbing his wrist injury Carbery will have ankle surgery.

Connors, DK, Deegan, Luke McGrath, Farrell and JOD all released back to their provinces.

Healy out for the remainder of the six Nations and may miss the Sarries game.

Munster have also announced while rehabbing his wrist injury Carbery will have ankle surgery.

Connors, DK, Deegan, Luke McGrath, Farrell and JOD all released back to their provinces.
Joey will be a star to come back from all this. We had him in for surgery last week in London. He is rehabbing over there too

Latest posts