• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Irish Rugby - The Party Years

Couldn't the Pro 14 resume in a few weeks, only excluding Italy and SA?
No as the UK is still under huge issues due to Covid 19 as are Ireland. And you'd need all teams to fulfil fixtures or even to a certain level.

No sport will be back before May. Leinster and Saracens both raised valid points also of needing at least 2 weeks of team training if the QF in Europe was to be played.
This is all before I even factor in that a lot of players have guys trapped around the world. We have Chris Cloete and CJ Stander locked down in S.A. Ulster I believe have their South African guys in same boat.

And that is before as @TRF_Olyy pointed out that this epidemic is going to hit next season never mind this season where I think nearly everyone has accepted is going to be a write off.

https://www.the42.ie/joey-carbery-second-playmaker-ireland-5106984-May2020/

Surprised no one has posted the above. Unfortunately I don't think it will happen with Carbery but there's solid evidence we need the variety of another playmaker outside the halfbacks. Larmour and Ringrose are both making strides there but they're not quite what you want yet. Of course adding more dynamism and a nine who's 'in form' could alleviate a lot of our problems. Apart from Carbery there probably isn't a standout for the role. Addison probably the most established and people like Jimmy O'Brien and Jake Flannery maybe having the potential for it but still being way off from Irish consideration.

I do think we need to get more guys comfortable with stepping up at first receiver.

Surprised no one has posted the above. Unfortunately I don't think it will happen with Carbery but there's solid evidence we need the variety of another playmaker outside the halfbacks. Larmour and Ringrose are both making strides there but they're not quite what you want yet. Of course adding more dynamism and a nine who's 'in form' could alleviate a lot of our problems. Apart from Carbery there probably isn't a standout for the role. Addison probably the most established and people like Jimmy O'Brien and Jake Flannery maybe having the potential for it but still being way off from Irish consideration.

I do think we need to get more guys comfortable with stepping up at first receiver.
To be honest I think Joey would be too loose as a 12. And not big enough for the traffic that'd come there. Definitely can see it being looked at long term though in terms of developing guys there. If Sexton was where he was in 08/09 now he would be tried there I think.

To be honest I think Joey would be too loose as a 12. And not big enough for the traffic that'd come there. Definitely can see it being looked at long term though in terms of developing guys there. If Sexton was where he was in 08/09 now he would be tried there I think.
I think the article is talking about him as a second playmaker from 15 not 12.

Surprised no one has posted the above. Unfortunately I don't think it will happen with Carbery but there's solid evidence we need the variety of another playmaker outside the halfbacks.

Its a years old discussion.

Joe only gave Payne one go at it - which was a major mistake IMO.

The future is definitely a 15 that can come up as a 1st or 2nd receiver as well as (more conventionally) hit the line further out.

Larmour may be a great individual player, but he might have to be sacrificed for the collective good.

Leinster may want to have a look at Harry Byrne as a 15.

Time to get this thread back going with dates fixed for 6 international games coming up.

Also, James Ryan is injured. Rugby is pointless without him.

So Ryan, Henderson and Beirne are all injured at the moment. Still time to get fit before international games but that's a serious hit to depth. Might see Baird getting his opportunity earlier than expected?

1. Healy
2. Kelleher
3. Furlong/Porter (No idea of his injury status)
4. Ryan
5. Henderson
6. Doris
7. Leavy/Connors
8. Stander
9. Try to bargain with the opposition to play a 14 man game without scrum halves/Fetish
10. Sexton
11. Lowe
12. Henshaw
13. Ringrose
14. Meh... Conway
15. See 9/Larmour

16. Scannell
17. Whoever's not broken
18. Porter/Ryan
19. Baird
20. Conan
21. Murray
22. Byrne
23. Aki

I'm not too excited about the next few months. The national team and provinces are all in transitional periods, we need looseheads, 9s and full backs desperately, all ideas welcome.

3 home wins and two away losses is my outrageous prediction.

Agree with AB 1 9 10 15 look areas of improvement for Ireland due to form or age, other areas Ireland look strong.

Why is World Rugby headquartered in Dublin, Ireland when the sport began in England? Just curious.

Another clean sweep for the Irish in the Pro 14 this weekend, albeit three of the victories were arguably lucky.

Latest posts