• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is rugby your favourite sport?

Rugby and football my top couple, those are the ones id get up in the middle of the night to watch.

But since moving to Aussie i've really gotten into AFL, its a great mix of the physicality of rugby but the professionalism and club rivalry or football, even in the off season all the transfers and drafts are in the paper unlike rugby that very must goes into hiatus

Interesting that the NHL is very popular here, i've had two jobs since moving and both have had groups of guys that have got into it, apparently you can get a pretty cheap season membership to watch games on line if you're outside the USA so they come into work to watch before starting.

Agree 100% about Aussie Rules (AFL). For all the reasons Jabby mentions, but you also need some grasp of tactics to really get the full enjoyment. Once you've got that, you never look back with AFL.
Having said that, Rugby remains my favourite in winter, but is surpassed by cricket in summer. I struggle watching the All Blacks play in Nth Hemisphere in November.
Sports in order with the teams/individuals I follow
1. Rugby - Hurricanes
2. AFL - North Melbourne
3. Cricket - Black Caps
4. Athletics - Tom Walsh (Shot Put)
5. Soccer - West Ham Utd
6. Cycling - Andre the Gorilla
7. Rugby League - St George
8. Basketball - Utah Jazz
9. Baseball - LA Dodgers
10. Gridiron - Washington Redskins

I'm fairly new to rugby, but I'm definitely hooked on it. American football is still my favorite sport to watch, but not by much. Here's my Top 5.

1. American Football
2. Rugby (all forms)
3. Baseball
4. Basketball
5. Ice Hockey

I forgot one, I like Track & Field too. It's an International sport and one of the fan favorites at the Summer Olympics. I especially like the Decathalon.

Last edited:
Rugby union hands down the best sport in the world IMO. Love a super saturday or double header. I will spend a day watching back to back rugby.

Football is what most of my mayes like and i dont hate it i just get very bored very quickly.

Like boxing rugby league and F1.

And for some reason can watch snooker for ages.

Can't believe I've never posted on this thread (as I've seen it pop up from time to time) but... yeah... yeah it is!

Rugby and football my top couple, those are the ones id get up in the middle of the night to watch.

But since moving to Aussie i've really gotten into AFL, its a great mix of the physicality of rugby but the professionalism and club rivalry or football, even in the off season all the transfers and drafts are in the paper unlike rugby that very must goes into hiatus

Interesting that the NHL is very popular here, i've had two jobs since moving and both have had groups of guys that have got into it, apparently you can get a pretty cheap season membership to watch games on line if you're outside the USA so they come into work to watch before starting.

I HAVE to reply to my own post here

Last year I decided to get into the NHL so as to chat with my new Aussie mates....a long process (basically ended up choosing a team with blue and yellow like Otago/highlanders/DunedinRFC/AFCWimbledon, my teams) culminated in choosing the St. Louis Blues!

We are now one game away from the first Stanley Cup in the clubs history

...I'm basically a hockey good luck charm

Hockey was my favorite sport growing up. Interestingly it's the only sport where I change the team I support based off of where I live. Support philly teams in nfl and nba but support local team in nhl.

Rankings.
1. Rugby
2. NHL
3. F1
4. NBA
5. lacrosse
6. Rugby league
7. Getting hit by an f1 car
8. Sevens

Last edited:
Rugby, obviously.

After that probably tennis and Gaelic football.

I like golf but find it increasingly hard to bother distinguishing between the hordes of samey Americans. At this point I generally don't bother watching even majors to the end unless there's a recognisable European guy in contention.

I hated hurling when I played it and never really moved on from that, that said I'd enjoy Dublin winning the hurling much, much more than yet another football championship.

Cricket and NFL are two that I've started paying attention to in the last few years. I like soccer despite the fact that watching the Ireland team play is torture.

Other than that I don't really mind, I'll watch almost any sport if it's on but couldn't be bothered following it.

Latest posts