• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is the 2021 Lions Tour Doomed?

Remember NZ being beaten by the Midlands at Welford road back in the 80s I was only about 9 but could still remember the slightly shambolic haka!
You must be a few years older than me, the ABs were post Buck by the time I took an interest in rugby, so I don't remember the shambles first hand. I remember Rugby Special running a clip of one that looked like a bunch of pasty white boys humming along to a lucklustre finger jive though.

My memory of a divisional game vs the ABs is more painful in many ways - 1993 tour at Redruth, Jamie Joseph giving PdeG a shoeing and spoiling his pretty face and Andy Robinson coughing up a try that cost a very good South West team the win against what was probably the weakest AB side of my watching lifetime, all while stood on crutches thanks to my first proper rugby injury. Happy memories of a different time in rugby, Redruth the third biggest ground in the country allowed to host a major fixture, meeting all the ABs in the local nightclub (RIP) in a daytime meet and greet and subsequently hearing how the older locals caroused the players after the game (no ice baths involved, a little bit of protein may have been exchanged).

Remember NZ being beaten by the Midlands at Welford road back in the 80s I was only about 9 but could still remember the slightly shambolic haka!
made me look this up, i forgot what a nail biter and great game that was, largely without our AB's and our coach, Garath Evans was epic

Isle of Mann is part of Sales academy catchment area
The Irish are very keen to be there
I. Wonder. Why.
Meme Think GIF

Looks like the tour is in the hands of Tories
If the UK government (sports body? whoever approves things like this) say no to the tour being held in the UK it will likely be cancelled (journos words, not my speculation)

Postponing a year is officially off the table as it would require unanimous consent from all tier 1 unions and the RFU and IRFU have already said no due to tours the following year (and I imagine wherever they're touring - Ireland in New Zealand I think - would also say no)

Initial response from the government was not positive but official decision being made tomorrow

Interesting that they've requested games against Japan, Barbarians, USA, South Africa 'A' and then four tests

They need 25% of the stadium seating open to break even, and 50% has been requested

Australia off the table as the ARU said they'd only do it if they had an official test against the Wallabies as well

Last edited:
Initial response from the government was not positive but official decision being made tomorrow

Interesting that they've requested games against Japan, Barbarians, USA, South Africa 'A' and then four tests
I think they are sketical over this bit most likely, suspect we'll see a three match test series and a reduced number of warm ups from 4 (possibly 2?).

Looks like the tour is in the hands of Tories
If the UK government (sports body? whoever approves things like this) say no to the tour being held in the UK it will likely be cancelled (journos words, not my speculation)

Postponing a year is officially off the table as it would require unanimous consent from all tier 1 unions and the RFU and IRFU have already said no due to tours the following year (and I imagine wherever they're touring - Ireland in New Zealand I think - would also say no)

They need 25% of the stadium seating open to break even, and 50% has been requested

Australia off the table as the ARU said they'd only do it if they had an official test against the Wallabies as well

I thought (and still think) that it won't be cancelled. It will either be in the Uk with crowds or in the RSA with empty stadiums. The TV revenue loss will be too great.

Yea i feel like they are trying to make something better happen, but a South Africa tour in empty stadiums will remain as the option if the full stadium UK option cant be secured.

Australian option was always a sickening thought to me. I truly appreciated their offer though.

Yea i feel like they are trying to make something better happen, but a South Africa tour in empty stadiums will remain as the option if the full stadium UK option cant be secured.

Australian option was always a sickening thought to me. I truly appreciated their offer though.

Yup. And the articles about the R8billion this tour could've brought in to our economy had it not been for the pandemic is starting to creep up on the news sites.

What is interesting is the players perspective on this matter. Duane Vermeulen said this past week that he thinks it might be beneficial for the Boks, if the Rainbow Cup sides are stationed in Europe ahead of the B&I Lions tour, if it would be played in the UK.

Not only will the players get more used to the conditions, but it could also allow the Springbok coaching staff, to setup a camp, and have some training sessions with the players, which includes the Springboks playing in England, France and Ireland.

1615556427376.png

If that's true then it's dog ****.
Skipping out Ireland entirely? Dog ****.
Four different stadiums in London and none in the North West or the Midlands? Dog ****.

Last edited:
If likely true shame about two London games and not getting one in Dublin feels like a missed oppertunity.

EDIT: Already planned to be in London on 31st July.....will have to see how impossible getting tickets will be.

Do you think I will get offered a ticket exchange for my Joburg?

I don't fancy going to South Africa to sit in an empty stadium

Think of the legroom, though

If not an exchange then at least a refund and then priority booking when tickets for these go on sale - that's how I've seen other events that have been cancelled/postponed/moved handle it

Almost certainly I'd imagine,

Complictated part will be likely 50% stadiums and I'm still not utterly convinced they'll play in front of crowds but I also think the governement have set a policy of not backing down unless it completely ducks up again (even if there are signs its going that way).

Latest posts