• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Isa Nacewa

S

Simchimp

Noticed this guy had played for Fiji in the past, but having watched the blue's season i struggled to understand why he wasn't included in their RWC squad, is he injured?, fallen out of favour? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but we hear little about these sorts of things in the northern hemisphere any answers would be great! Cheers!

Noticed this guy had played for Fiji in the past, but having watched the blue's season i struggled to understand why he wasn't included in their RWC squad, is he injured?, fallen out of favour? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but we hear little about these sorts of things in the northern hemisphere any answers would be great! Cheers!
[/b]
Isa Nacewa only played the last two minutes in the 2003 world cup match for Fiji....thats why he doesn't want to play for Fiji anymore..he refused to contact the Fiji rugby Union during the trials....when he was contacted by the Fiji rugby union he declined the offer to the trials and said that he has club commitments...After the 2007 world cup...Isa Nacewa is going to be valid to play with the All Blacks...I think he is aiming for the All Blacks as a utility player.....Isa Nacewa has brought his case to the IRB about how he only played two minutes for Fiji...I know that he is going to be valid for the All blacks after four years without representing Fiji.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Isa Nacewa only played the last two minutes in the 2003 world cup match for Fiji....thats why he doesn't want to play for Fiji anymore..he refused to contact the Fiji rugby Union during the trials....when he was contacted by the Fiji rugby union he declined the offer to the trials and said that he has club commitments...After the 2007 world cup...Isa Nacewa is going to be valid to play with the All Blacks...I think he is aiming for the All Blacks as a utility player.....Isa Nacewa has brought his case to the IRB about how he only played two minutes for Fiji...I know that he is going to be valid for the All blacks after four years without representing Fiji. [/b][/quote]

You read the eligibility rules wrongly brother.

It doesnt matter if he played for 3 mins or 3 hours, the main thing is he HAS played for Fiji and that ultimately rules him out from ever representing another nation. The 3 year stand-down period is for players who are living in their host nation but has never played for their "original" nation at National level (1st team, "A" team & 7s team).

Yeah thats been a real tragedy all round really.

That guys is immensly talented, and its a shame to all involved that he's not playing at the World Cup, and looks likely to never play at a world cup.

He's quick (started as a winger) can pass (played No10 for the Blues and Auckland) and can kick off both feet well. He can also defend very well (has played alot of fullback and midfield) and is truely and amazing player, with unparalleled utility value.

I think he felt that he got a raw deal by being blocked to play for the AB's after his few minutes in Fiji's final game of WC2003.

He was only 18 (i think) at the time and argued that the repercussions (not being allowed to play for anyone else) weren't properly explained.

But I don't necessarily believe that. He's just the victim of some dodgy situations in the past (Frank Bunce playing for Samoa and AB's) and has been a scapegoat of the IRB tougher stance on representing one country.

Like I said, everyone loses in this case.

Its this ruling they introduced some years ago right? Beacuse I'm wondering how the likes of (names I can't remember) could play for both NZ and Aus. That scrumhalf fellow from the 50s? And how come Frank Bunce and Bachop could play for the islands and NZ.

the latest change in the rules was only in the last 5 odd years. it used to be a 3 year stand down and you could play for another country. there are also very complex and are why steve devine had to argue that he didn't know that playing 7's for aus would rule him out of playing for nz in the future. devine did win his case and played a few tests fo the abs. similar retrospective cases are dealt on a case by case basis by the irb.

Um... Is G Ride some sort of slang where you get into that position and stimulate the G spot?

Its this ruling they introduced some years ago right? Beacuse I'm wondering how the likes of (names I can't remember) could play for both NZ and Aus. That scrumhalf fellow from the 50s? And how come Frank Bunce and Bachop could play for the islands and NZ. [/b]

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here but the Eligibility ruling came into effect in 1999. Both Bunce & Bachop had already switched sides before it came into power.

The earlier rule stated that any player who wished to play for his adoptive country - even if he has played for another country - has to do the mandatory 3-year stand-down (eg: Joeli Vidiri, Graeme Bachop, Jamie Joseph, Tony Marsh, etc..). Steve Devine made his debut for the ABs in 2002, a full 4-years after he last represented Australia in 7s.

The rule underwent a few more changes (not sure of what year) that clearly stipulates the One-Country for Life clause. This rule states that once you have played in a National senior XV, the "A" team and the National 7s team.......you're ineligible to play for another country, even if you have been living in your "new"country for 10 years or have maternal/paternal connections there.

This was the ruling that prevented Dylan Mika & Andrew Blowers from representing Samoa last year after already earning Test Caps for the ABs.

This is also the same ruling that is preventing Isa Nacewa from representing NZ.

Hope that clears the air on some of your queries..

Peace all,

J

To back up Juggernauts obvious knowledge on the topic, I just had another look through the IRB website and found the eligibility section.

The "One Union" rule, as it is known, came into effect on Jan 1st 2000.

As soon as you turn 18 you can only represent one Nations TopXV, 2ndXV or 7's team if you are present at their game.

That means that even if Nacewa hadn't got onto the field for Fiji he still wouldn't be allowed to play for NZ. It doesn't make a difference if you're a starting playing OR a reserve.

The MINIMUM Fines for Eligibity Breaches are as follows:
100,000 pounds sterling - For a Union that is part of the IRB council
25,000 pounds sterling - For all other IRB member Unions

Now thats some serious pennies per offence!
Thats probably why, even though Nacewa is the man, the NZRU hasn't risked putting him in for the AB's.

Players can be eligible to play for a nation if:

A. They were born there, or
B. They have a parent or grandparent from that country, or
C. They have lived in that country for 36months

The only way a player could now play for 2 countries is if they had lived for 36 months in the 2nd country they wished to play for prior to the 1st of Jan, 2000.

So thats rather unlikely nowdays.

All this info, in a longer form, is here:

http://www.irb.com/mm/document/lawsregs/0/...tion8%5f883.pdf

I hear Nacewa is regarded as somewat of a modern Judas to most Fijianz. Seems like he would sell out to the All blacks at the drop of a hat if he could.

Well, he is born and raised in NZ...

So I guess playing for the AB's is his ultimate dream, like it is for most Kiwi kids growing up.

I think Isa Nacewa might be eligible for the ABs in the future, I do not know how, maybe he might be working with the NZRU to find a loophole, otherwise why would he stick in NZ. He could earn so much more money in Europe with the talent and versatility he has. The only other reason I can think of is family reasons for sticking in NZ.

if the eligibility rules change then he may be...

he is capable of helping fiji achieve more glory then he would do as apart of the all blacks

Were would the Blues play him?
I think they must play him at 15
N.Evans will play flyhalf

If it were me I'd rather play international rugby for Fiji than not at all. It seems crazy to me that he'd throw away a chance that so few people get on the hope that the qualification rules change. Still if Fiji don't want him back then thats a different matter entirely...