• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Italy v England

Masi had a good introduction to the wacky world of being a fly-half and Travagli was great at scrum-half! I was worried about what Italy would do after Troncon but if Travagli can keep doing what he's doing (and it seems Troncon is working with Nick Mallet on this) then number 9 will be one position that Italy won't have to worry about!

How good is Enrico Patrizio? [/b]
Troncon is definitely working on this and Picone too is a goo option at sh position (unfortunately he is not in good form actually due to a bad injury)

how good is Patrizio? my friends at Padova tell me he's absolutely good, in fact he had some brilliant games in Super 10 and Challenge Cup but the international level is completely different (he was not brilliant last sunday in Italia A vs. Scotland A game)

dunno if Sgarbi or Patrizio will start at wing but I guess one of them is going to play, Galon is an utility back so he could be more useful on the bench

@Deano: Mallet said on first 3 matches Travagli-Masi-Bortolussi at 9-10-15 are going to play anyway even if their performance were not so good, he said it takes time to understand how this setup can face the international level

Canavosio got injured after 20 mins at Croke Park: I dunno if it was due to that but he was really inconsistent and in his side italian defence was very weak (the irish try came form there...) so I hope he would have been changed all the way

I think Mallet will select the same starting XV we saw at Dublin with Masi at flyhalf (I loved the way he played his first career game at flyhalf: didn't kick away possession and tried to open the game even if course he has to develop a kicking game and find some creativity) and Bortolussi at fullback (despite his bad performance, but he always struggles under pressure), except for the winger position where a youngster (Sgarbi or Patrizio, as Pratichetti is injured) has to be selected
[/b]
Surely Canavosio got taken off because Ireland were just going to keep scoring on his wing? Not good selection to have such a weak player on the field.

Italy looked good in attack down the same wing later on in the game, constantly outnumbering the Irish defence. But mostly they were back to their form just before the RWC - although maybe a bit weaker in the scrum.

I'm hoping they develop a Fortress Rome attitude.

England should bring back Ben Cohen.

[/b]

Talking of that... Cohen never impressed me but I have to admit he's pretty good ath the moment with Brive... and the team is better since he arrived.

Indeed I heard that aswell... mallet will keep the same 9-10-15 combo because he wants to give them time to understand the play. I would go along with this aswell, even if I do think Bortolussi is a weakness in the overall game at 15, but that there is not so much better at the moment. I liked Galon when he entered v Ireland, but I would also prefer to see a youngster tried on the wing and Sgarbi would be my pick.

Is Picone in the squad or do we not have a reserve no.9?

I would also prefer to see a youngster tried on the wing and Sgarbi would be my pick. [/b]
it seems now that Pratichetti will be fit for next sunday, he's back in the squad so I guess he will start at winger
Is Picone in the squad or do we not have a reserve no.9?[/b]
yep he is, but last saturday Canavosio was the effective sh backup (he sometimes plays at 9 at Castres), next game he will not be in the squad so I guess Picone will be on the bench

actually I guess Italy XV will be
15 Bortolussi 14 Robertson 13 Canale 12 Mi. Bergamasco 11 Pratichetti 10 Masi 9 Travagli 1 Lo Cicero 2 Ghiraldini 3 Castro 4 Del Fava 5 Dellapè 6 Zanni 7 Ma. Bergamasco 8 Parisse
16 Festuccia 17 Nieto 18 Perugini 19 Reato (able to play both lock and backrow) 20 Picone 21 Marcato 22 Galon

Bortolussi seems like an Italian Balshaw. He has a few exciting moments but too many mistakes.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Talking of that... Cohen never impressed me but I have to admit he's pretty good ath the moment with Brive... and the team is better since he arrived.
[/b][/quote]

How many games has he played this year? Not a great fan of his, myself. Don't think he really offers anything that Sackey or Cueto don't likewise offer.

Geraghty is born & bred in England, but he did play for Ireland at U16 level I believe. Has since represented England at every other level.

Anyone know when Ashton will be announcing the next chapter in this comedy of errors?

Anyone know when Ashton will be announcing the next chapter in this comedy of errors?
[/b]

Tomorrow (Wednesday) at some point. Probably 2pm if previous announcements are to go by.

Geraghty is born & bred in England, but he did play for Ireland at U16 level I believe. Has since represented England at every other level. [/b]

You English are worse than the bloody New Zealanders. Nicking players from the small surrounding islands!
You should be ashamed!
:p

Have we no shame?! I think the difference between ourselves and New Zealand is that we spend so much time wringing our hands about it. New Zealand just get on with it and harvest the talent from yonder islands!

<div class='quotemain'> Geraghty is born & bred in England, but he did play for Ireland at U16 level I believe. Has since represented England at every other level. [/b]

You English are worse than the bloody New Zealanders. Nicking players from the small surrounding islands!
You should be ashamed!
:p
[/b][/quote]

Its not as bad as Ireland nicking McGeady off us, you will never find a broader Scottish accent. :cryy:

Rees & STrettle are not only out of this game, they're both out of the tournament.

Wilkinson has, however, avoided a ban.

Oh dear, just seen the line up for saturday. Sheriden has been injured as well, so is out this weekend, they haven't said what with yet but its a huge blow as the italian front row is incredibly powerful. Wasps Tom Payne has come in to replace him.

Narraway is dropped to the bench in favour of Nick Easter. Little unfair as I think he was one of the better players last week. Lipman comes in at open side.

An all Falcons centre with Wilko, Flood and Noon. Vainikolo is starting in place of strettle.

And guess who is starting full back. Public enemy number 1.

Reasonably happy with the back-row.

Smashing my head against the wall having seen the backs. Flood and Vainikolo are the only players who have any right to be there at the moment, the others have a hell of a lot to prove. Except Balshaw, who everyone in the world knows is ****. Apart from the people picking the team apparently.

What do guys like Tait and Geraghty have to do to be given a shot? Particularly Tait, who I would pick every time over the no-frills Noone.

I dont rate Noon particularly highly, but as soon as Tindall was ruled out, it was obvious he'd be picked as the defensive organising centre.

England XV: I Balshaw (Gloucester); P Sackey (Wasps), J Noon (Newcastle), T Flood (Newcastle), L Vainikolo (Gloucester); J Wilkinson (Newcastle), A Gomarsall (Harlequins); T Payne (Wasps), M Regan (Bristol), P Vickery (Wasps, capt), S Shaw (Wasps), S Borthwick (Bath), J Haskell (Wasps), M Lipman (Bath), N Easter (Harlequins).
Replacements: L Mears (Bath), M Stevens (Bath), B Kay (Leicester), L Narraway (Gloucester), R Wigglesworth (Sale Sharks), D Cipriani (Wasps), M Tait (Newcastle).

From: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtm...rengland106.xml

Latest posts