• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Italy v Ireland

Yeah ok, I agree with you on that, the only way they score tries is when the opposition makes a mistake and their is like a mastodon of a gab. Otherwise it is via penalties. And from your perspective I understand it's f**king annoying but from my point it's awesome. A team of small guys that keep on fighting for every point.
Besides that, some of their internationals do bring some added value to other European clubs e.g. Bergamasco bro's, Parisse etc...

This is a fine example of a team that keeps on trying by all means necessary, even when that means **** ugly rugby.

Agree with the poster above, Italy are my second team because I'm part Italian but even if I wasn't part Italian they would still be my second team because I just love how hard they try, fighting for every point. The passion and determination they show is second to none and is as good as any rugby nation in the world. As the above poster said they do have some quality players in Europe and with the addition of 2 Italian teams in the Magners League Italy have the opportunity to expose their young talents to a higher and more quality level of rugby, nurturing them into great players. Things can only get better for Italy and although I think Ireland will have a little too much for them I hope the Irish find playing in the Stadio Flaminio an intimidating experience with the crowd playing their part and the Italians putting the Irish under alot of pressure. Maybe just maybe then Italy may get something out of the game though Irelands quality should really see them through in the end.

Cheers mate, at least two peeps who will cheer for the Azzuri next month

Well Murphy looks crocked, we're starting to look a little screwed at Fullback, hopefully Fitzgerald can step up because he really hasn't impressed anytime I've seen him at 15.

Aye, I'd rather throw Bowe in at fullback than Fitzgerald. He's soli enough, but if he comes under pressure at fullback he has a tendency towards some brainfarts.

Right well having just weighed in here I shall make my points an apologise if they were already made and talked over.
In reality Ireland will most likely win this game with a bit to spare, but nobody likes playing Italy.

Irish starting XV as it should be in my eyes

1.Healy - For the knocks around the place
2. Varley(Flannery if fit at some point in his career)
3. Ross - Deserves his chance
4. DOC - a tactical nuclear strike wouldnt dislodge him from the team it seems <_<
5. POC
6. O'Brien - He deserves a go and Ferris isnt consistantly fit
7. Wallace
8. Healsip
9. Stringer - We need quick ball and when stringer plays we get that and the backs get over the gain line
10. Sexton - For defensive purposes we need Sexton and not the other purple headed turnstile :rolleyes:
11. Earls - I fear trimble may get this to "balance the squad"...*cough* esspecially if Ferris and Best are injured
12. D'arcy
13. BOD
14. Bowe
15. Fitzgerald

11. Earls - I fear trimble may get this to "balance the squad"...*cough* esspecially if Ferris and Best are injured

Would probably have more to do with Kidney thinking Earls is a centre and not a winger.

Also, I cannot see Ferris being dropped from a strongest Ireland XV while fit. And nor should he be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWa6i3jzXIk - This is why.

id have o'brien at 7
silly to drop ferris as he is fit and one f the best blindsides in the world
also on the trimble matter troble is on form at the moment starts his club games on the wing as is actually catching and passing now him and earls are diffrent kinds of players though hard to compare while earls is the better footballer trimble is by far the more athletic

With Geordan Murphy and Rob Kearney out of this game (most likely), will Declan Kidney go with the safe call in the shape of Gavin Duffy or the brave call in the shape of Luke Fitzgerald? I suspect it'll be the former.

With Geordan Murphy and Rob Kearney out of this game (most likely), will Declan Kidney go with the safe call in the shape of Gavin Duffy or the brave call in the shape of Luke Fitzgerald? I suspect it'll be the former.

I cant see him picking duffy...I think he'd go with Fitzgerald...or Conway maybe!:p

Points above taken. I'm not suggesting Ferris be dropped, I'm just saying if he were injured it could mess with the squad dynamic as far as selection goes. I cant see Kidney dropping Wallace as Kidney seems a little open to what I like to call "the Cork examiner factor" in so far as he cannot overload the team with Leinster players as this might not go down well. That would be 8+ Leinster players.

On the Earls/Trimble debate perhaps I might be so bold as to throw Fergus McFadden into the pot too?

conway wont be there
mc fadden has a shout as a replacement he has done well on the wing
wallace is still a decent player its just time for him to go

Lads it is a known fact thought that Ulster seem to be entitled to have 1 spot in XV at least.
On Earls/Trimble issue I think Trimble has had too many chances and not taken them so Keith should be given a go. But here where it fun Kidney see's Earls best position as winger where Munster prefer him at 13/15 and well Kidney thinks if he not playing on wing for club he shouldn't be playing at all.

As for Sean O'Brien/Wallace issue - Watch Clermont vs Leinster (the game in France) that should be enough. Wally is a superb player for us and will be a legend of Irish rugby but he hasn't got the same power as before in his legs and reality is Italy are improving and standard is so high now that we need to pick guys who can go for longer and I think Wally would be great guy off bench for us.

On the hooker issue - Varley/Cronin have to start with other on bench. They have been miles ahead of others on form and well capable of doing a fine job.

Luke Fitz would be my option at 15 easily but don't be surprised to see Earls possibly start there against Italy either but my last question is: Will Ireland pick on form or reputation?

the way some of are guys are playing i think it would be bizzare if ulster players wenrt picked
ferris - explains itself
best - back on form however may not get his ireland spot with varley and cronin about
court- has done well these season and plays both sides of the scrum
trimble is back on form and lookin dangerous with ball in hand
p wallace is again plaing alright should eb in with a shout

im not saying they should be starting but should be serious contenders for top 22 spot
and ulster have plenty of youngsters who only look to get better

Going on how Kidney has selected in the past, I imagine 15. Fitz, 11. Trimble, 22. Earls (<- His versatility counting against him again)

Peat I agree Ulster playing well and I wouldn't mind if they picked on form but I just meant it that regardless of form Ulster will be represented but agree at the moment that Ulster deservedly have a few in contention.

Munstermuffin, I'm not saying no politics go on about how plays for Ireland - but even when there's already Nordies in the team Kidney's looked to have Trimble ahead of Earls on the wing recently. I'm not even saying thats right, I have a lot of time for Keith Earls as a player. Just my hunch on how Kidney's mind works.

The same hunch also says to all the lads hoping/predicting Varley and Cronin will keep Best out of the Ireland set-up altogether... good luck!

On the subject of Earls, I'm beginning to think he might end up become Ireland's Matthew Tait. A very talented player kept out of the international line up by guys with more power and a continuing argument over where he should play.

edit: You also seem to have me and Conal confused :p

On the subject of Earls, I'm beginning to think he might end up become Ireland's Matthew Tait. A very talented player kept out of the international line up by guys with more power and a continuing argument over where he should play.

Earls didn't peak at age 20 though :p

Latest posts