• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Italy v Ireland

I would agree that any Ulster player on the Irish squad at the moment does indeed deserve their place ..Ferris is a machine ,Trimble is a great threat as a Broken field runner , and Paddy Wallace can snug in 10 and 12 really well.... then chris henry on the fringes is another tough cookie :/

My Hopeful team

1- Healy
2-Cronin
3-Ross
4-Leo Cullen
5-Paulie
6-Ferris
7-Sean O' Brien
8-Heaslip
9-Stringer
10-Sexton
11-Fitzgerald
12-Darcy
13-BOD
14-Tommy Bowe
15-Kearney /Earles

Well when I heard the point originally I disagreed but then I looked closer and realised that it did infact have some merit. Players like Best, Wallace and Trimble have in the past played when better players have been available. I dont disagree that Ferris warrants his place because he does! But in the past when Best was injured Trimble suddenly came in despite the fact the player he replaced played well the previous week and was fully fit!

In my personal opinion Trimble isnt up to the standard of international rugby ata consistant level. He's a good sub but not a starter.

Lets not discuss this further. If Ferris gets injured or any Ulster player for that matter just watch and see. The same thing happens every time.

I would agree that any Ulster player on the Irish squad at the moment does indeed deserve their place ..Ferris is a machine ,Trimble is a great threat as a Broken field runner , and Paddy Wallace can snug in 10 and 12 really well.... then chris henry on the fringes is another tough cookie :/

My Hopeful team

1- Healy
2-Cronin
3-Ross
4-Leo Cullen
5-Paulie
6-Ferris
7-Sean O' Brien
8-Heaslip
9-Stringer
10-Sexton
11-Fitzgerald
12-Darcy
13-BOD
14-Tommy Bowe
15-Kearney /Earles

Not a bad side you've picked but Stringer? Come on mate, no way should he start or be anywhere near the squad these days. Quick delivery thats all he offers. Someone I'm a fan of who looked like he was going to be big for Ireland at one point is Isaac Boss, played for Ulster now at Leinster I think. Hes kind of slipped under the radar but I remember watching him a while back and he was superb, I'd love him to start playing well again and play for Ireland, top player.

What more do you want than quick delivery from your Scrum half? He's got a decent defensive game too. Stringer is still a good operator most certainly.

Lads I will start by saying if Ulster have a few guys in then fair enough but I suppose the next 2 weeks will say alot for most players. On Trimble issue and all this about him been on form, I seen him score a super try last year and well I can admit in an Ulster jersey he is outstanding but has had plenty of chances for Ireland and isn't doing job.
Now on to team issue it like this Kidney is a man who is reluctant at times to change, I've seen this up close at Munster and it is clear at times with Ireland so here is a shot at teams.

Kidney's Probable My Choice
1. Healy Healy
2. Best Varley
3. Buckley Ross
4. DOC DOC
5. Paulie Paulie
6. Ferris Ferris
7. Wallace Sean O'Brien
8. Heaslip Heaslip
9. O'Leary Stringer
10. Sexton Sexton
11. Trimble/Fitz Earls
12. D'Arcy D'Arcy
13. BOD BOD
14. Bowe Bowe
15. Murphy/Fitz Fitzgearld

16. Cronin Cronin
17. Court Court/Buckley
18. Mick O'D Cullen
19. Leamy Leamy/Wallace
20. Reddan O'Leary
21. ROG ROG
22. Earls Murphy/ A form player

I think vital points on my team are:
- DOC/POC kept together as I think they're partnership is excellent and Cullen would be better man to bring on.
- Ross is needed to strengthen the scrum
- Varley has been superb all season and consistent. He has overtaken Fla at Munster.
- O'Brien is probably the best backrow in the country at the moment and I think if we used Wally for last 20 it'd work well
- Sexton is useless to us if he doesn't get quick accurate ball and Stringer is our only 9 that can do that
- Sexton to do job with ROG to close out last 10/15 mins could be a superb tactic

My team didnt show it was quick (15-1)
Fitz, Bowe, BOD, D'Arcy, Earls, Sexton, Stringer, Heaslip, SOB, Ferris, POC, DOC, Ross, Varley, Healy

(16-22) Cronin, Court/Buckley, Cullen, Wallace/Leamy, O'Leary, ROG, ????

Last edited:
What more do you want than quick delivery from your Scrum half? He's got a decent defensive game too. Stringer is still a good operator most certainly.

What more do I want? Well just more basically. Yes Stringer's good points are his experience, quick delivery and a decent defensive game which isn't really an advantage rather more of a basic requirement of a rugby player. Thats all well and good but these days a scrumhalf tends to have a bit more to his game aswell as a good delivery such as being good at making breaks like Dwayne Peel and Danny Care or being more physical like Mike Phillips for example.
My point is theres nothing wrong with Stringer but theres player who can give a team what Stringer can plus a bit more.

Exactly.

LOL at people saying Paul O'Connell should start in the six nations. Can someone give me an estimate of how much rugby he has played since March 10'?

Best managed fine last six nations with a mere 40 minutes for Banbridge all season. POC's return has been luxurious!

If Danny Care had service like Stringer's, he mightn't have lost his place to Ben Youngs. But he doesn't. His service is rather annoying. Its what makes Youngs so glorious really, genuinely zippy service with as good a break as you can ask for.

There's not a soul to match Stringer in Ireland for delivery from the ruck. Marshall's probably as fast but every now and again his radar goes haywire. I'd start Stringer. The list of scrum-halves who offer what Stringer does and more is very, very small.

Feic Paulie will have plenty of game time before Italy game and well we need him to start because his leadership alone is a massive loss for the Irish pack.
Peat I'd agree with comments on stringer too

My Opinions for the team:

-Mike Ross must play we need his scrummaging skills and power.
-I think Varley should play in this game as his a good lineout thrower, great in the ruck and at running with ball. I would like to see him play and Italy are the opponents for his game.
-I want POC and DOC to play again as they are great together and POC's leadership skills are needed.
-Sean O'Brien to play 7 as Wallace simply can't play a full gamer at a high level.
-I think Stringer should play 9 as I think he plays well with Sexton.
-I think Fitz is a good fullback and with Murphy out for atleast this game he should be at fullback with earls on the wing.

As an aside, it's not confirmed that Murphy will miss the 6N, there's been no press release with his time out, just something with Cockerill saying that there's a chance it's just a sprain and he hopes he'll be back for the Scarlets game

Have heard the same that he is going to be ok but I'd still prefer to see Luke get a go at 15

Aye, Ireland really need a good backup 15 to Kearney (and for Kearney to be good again, but that's a different story :p ) - Murphys not getting younger, and will probably retire in the next couple of years - Getting Fitz more game time at 15 for Ireland would be top
Though it probably doesn't matter as much for this 6N as Murphy won't retire before the WC, which is what this team will be building towards

That our fault in Ireland though we don't look to future and well we just think about the now which I think could be our downfall in next few seasons

Feic Paulie will have plenty of game time before Italy game and well we need him to start because his leadership alone is a massive loss for the Irish pack.
Peat I'd agree with comments on stringer too

We could always play that other guy, you know the one has captained his province to a ML and a Heino and captained Leicester fifteen times. Hardly short on leadership I'd say. Paulie hasn't played enough. It'd be like the Welsh playing Henson.

I've no problems with Cullen but he isn't experienced in international stage like Paulie is and not as vocal around because he simply hasn't been in enough. That's why we need Paulie in there for that job and Paul O'Connell will have 3 games with Munster before then as well as 5/6 training games and plenty of training so I don't think it a question IF he is fit because he will be well up to speed

I've no problems with Cullen but he isn't experienced in international stage like Paulie is and not as vocal around because he simply hasn't been in enough. That's why we need Paulie in there for that job and Paul O'Connell will have 3 games with Munster before then as well as 5/6 training games and plenty of training so I don't think it a question IF he is fit because he will be well up to speed

I agree that POC is needed back. It was obvious against the ABs that we missed him! Had he been there he would have driven the pack on aswell as got in Jonker's ear about the dreadful calls he was making all game. When you play such a ref melting player as McCaw you need a POC to balance it out. We need him back! I think he starts v Italy.

Latest posts