Club or Nation
Barbarians
Italy.png
Versus%20Eccellenza.png
Ireland.png

Venue: Stadio Flaminio
Date: Saturday 5th February 2011
Kick Off: 2:30pm GMT​

Hmm a bit early maybe? but i can only see this going 1 way.

Yeah after the Nuclear holocaust, lets see if the itailans can manage the rugged, deformed irish players?

Anybody want to name their team, on form for this one?

If Peter O'Mahony doesn't start it is a joke!

If the Irish team was selected on form and the game took place tomorrow, I'd start Ronan O'Gara instead of Jonny Sexton. Sexton had a shocker last night but in general he's been no more than average for the last 5 or 6 weeks. Declan Kidney was right to go with the Leinster player during the November series and now he's started against all the major test nations. Now that Sexton has that experience, Kidney can select on form.

That's why I think the November series was a wasted opportunity. Players like Sean O'Brien are no nearer to gaining proper test experience. In O'Briens case, he deserved to be there on form as well as for player development reasons.

Snoop on the AI's would you think O'Brien, Johne Murphy and maybe even Keith Earls suffered from being versatile. While I agree Sexton has been poorish the last few weeks I think him and ROG now have balance where ROG will always be better player coming on for last 20.

But on form Best, Wallace, D'Arcy, Trimble (not because I critic him alot) and Kearney shouldn't have been starters. There were better form players in their positions and well this squad has to develope a competitiveness. It won't happen if people feel secure. Stringer and Sexton were paired for last game but this shouldve been done 2 weeks earlier.

When's the line up being announced for this match? Vintage Dec; leaving it to the last minute.

I think Sexton has played well. Making his tackles, kicking his goals and creating alot in the back. Last night was a poor game but everyone has bad games. I think it'sgreat that we have two very good Fly Halves and I see what you mean as O'Gara has been playing well so really I don't mind who Kidney selects at the moment.

I agree 10 should be picked on Heineken cup form and beforethe AI's Sexton played better against Metro and Saracens than O'Gara against Irish and Toulon

Cmac95 how can you say Sexton was better than ROG in first 2 H'Cup games. That is nonsense but I would say the current arrangement of our 10s is correct.

Cmac95 how can you say Sexton was better than ROG in first 2 H'Cup games. That is nonsense but I would say the current arrangement of our 10s is correct.

I agree. I think both of our fly halves are as good as each other, they just have different styles which is great. Sexton is better in defence (although O'Gara has tackled well this season so far) and he creates alot in the backs with a brilliant pass and strong runs. While O'Gara is one of the best tactical kickers in the world and he has experience. Both players have also been kicking for posts well.

As you point out coonor it hard to compare when they are different. But Sexton's style is better to start and well ROG as you said is 1 of best tactical kickers in world and his style is perfect for closing games out etc.

Latest posts