• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Italy’s future in 6N

Italy deserve their place in the 6 nations simply on the back of that defensive display from their under 20's against England. If that isn't giving people hope for the future then what will. In all seriousness though, it would ruin the 6 nations if these changes were made. History, tradition etc. Plus it would kick Italian rugby back a fair few metres, which would be sad when it looked like they are starting to gain some ground.

The last paragraph states Italy thinks expansion to 7 nations is more likely than them being kicked out / relegated.

The last paragraph states Italy thinks expansion to 7 nations is more likely than them being kicked out / relegated.

Terrible idea to have another game, we don't need nor want SA in the 6 nations. Really hope the money doesn't push this through.

Although I'd be happy to bin off Italy, they offer nothing really and 90% of the time come last (would love to see the statics on their placing actually). I feel they don't really add much in terms of competitiveness but then maybe they are too good for the next tier down.

Really world rugby needs to sort out its lower tier competitions.

Terrible idea to have another game, we don't need nor want SA in the 6 nations. Really hope the money doesn't push this through.

Although I'd be happy to bin off Italy, they offer nothing really and 90% of the time come last (would love to see the statics on their placing actually). I feel they don't really add much in terms of competitiveness but then maybe they are too good for the next tier down.

Really world rugby needs to sort out its lower tier competitions.
$$ talks, traditionalists walk.

We're not all as money minded as the Americans or South Africans, for that matter.
I'm on the side of this argument that I don't want this to happen or think it will* but you can't bring nationality into this from the home of the Premier league!

*How much money will the third biggest market really bring, hardly worth the hassle and uproar. If it was the USA after 10+ years of growth I'd believe it and probably be for it but I just don't see how this works in such a short comp.

All it said was that South Africa joining and making Seven nations was more likely than them joining and kicking Italy out. It didn't actually say anything about the likelihood of South Africa joining.

Honestly dont want relagation as no other european teams work or are good enough, and italy have proved that more tier 1 games dont make you a better team.

SA are too far away, timezone works but i dont know it just feels wrong.

7 teams is the worst of them all.

Yes i know all about the money and one of the above will prob happen anyway.

In all honesty i want it to stay the same.

South Africa fans be like
pay me principal skinner GIF

I wonder if someone leaked the story out to the mail to test out fan reaction.

Italy have more wooden spoons than they have games won, that's how poor they have been.

I'm glad they've said that. Let's put the issue to bed for another year !

I think questions have to be asked of Italy if their new generation of players can't produce wins in the next 5 years or so.

Outside of the second row they have some incredible players including the best young ten in world rugby for my money. They need to look at how France turned strong 20s sides into a strong national side, emulate and take advantage of Wales and Scotland becoming more vulnerable as key players start retiring and deteriorating on the wrong side of 30.

The task they were given was unenviable. Adapt to professionalism as your golden age of players retire, not easy. But they should have had their good current structures in years earlier.

Every other year you get a bye week in rome, stop complaining.

Also that press release is exactly what you say two weeks before announcing a deal.

I think questions have to be asked of Italy if their new generation of players can't produce wins in the next 5 years or so.

Outside of the second row they have some incredible players including the best young ten in world rugby for my money. They need to look at how France turned strong 20s sides into a strong national side, emulate and take advantage of Wales and Scotland becoming more vulnerable as key players start retiring and deteriorating on the wrong side of 30.

The task they were given was unenviable. Adapt to professionalism as your golden age of players retire, not easy. But they should have had their good current structures in years earlier.

If questions have to be asked in 5 years, why not now?

This still supposes that Italy being in the 6N depends on their performance in some way. It doesn't.

That statement means absolutely nothing. It's just a bunch of words thrown together to settle the masses. I love how people think CVC is going to sit around and not shake things up. It's exactly what they were brought in to do.

Latest posts