• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Italy’s future in 6N

They were brought in to increase profits, which doesn't doesn't mean shaking things up.

They've shown clear progression at both club and age grade level recently and have a young squad with high potential.

This has to be last change though right? Give them till 2025 see how it's going. As you say Benetton over last 3 years have become a good european team and u20s look good, hopefully it comes to something.

Clubs have been in Pro12/14 for almost 10 years now and in 22 years in 6N they've finish last 15 (gonna be 16). Has to be a cut of point, not a SA team but another European team if Italy are still last.

Focussing on the World League proposition instead. I'm doubtful they can't do both at the same time in terms of negotiating with SA.

If I understand it right any change to the 6N would require the unanimous agreement of all 7 shareholders - the 6 unions and CVC. And turkeys don't generally vote for Christmas.

This has to be last change though right? Give them till 2025 see how it's going. As you say Benetton over last 3 years have become a good european team and u20s look good, hopefully it comes to something.

Clubs have been in Pro12/14 for almost 10 years now and in 22 years in 6N they've finish last 15 (gonna be 16). Has to be a cut of point, not a SA team but another European team if Italy are still last.
Yeah, probably a top v bottom playoff. The lack of other options is the obvious trouble.

Totally the wrong thing to include SA in the 6N. The tournament is fine as it is and if it ain't broke don't fix it. The move would be extremely unpopular with the fans in UK/Ireland and the extra travel to the other side of the world would be terrible for carbon emissions.

If SA were to be included, they would probably just be ignored by the public, and the 6N would just carry on as a tournament within a tournament.

I suspect that SARFU are starved for cash following covid and the empty Lions tour last year. Its down to money, and wishful thinking.

Totally the wrong thing to include SA in the 6N. The tournament is fine as it is and if it ain't broke don't fix it. The move would be extremely unpopular with the fans in UK/Ireland and the extra travel to the other side of the world would be terrible for carbon emissions.

If SA were to be included, they would probably just be ignored by the public, and the 6N would just carry on as a tournament within a tournament.

I suspect that SARFU are starved for cash following covid and the empty Lions tour last year. Its down to money, and wishful thinking.
I agree but Italy really do need to up their game otherwise the fixture just becomes irrelevant

I think a nice idea to propose now would be the addition of a rotating guest spot in the 6N, to include maybe the likes of Samoa, Tonga, Fiji or Uruguay, giving them a chance to play the big boys every few years outside the WC.

The same could be done withe the Rugby championship with a rotating NH team.

This would make things more interesting without changing the fundamentals of each tournament too much. It would bring back the old bye week problem again though.

I think a nice idea to propose now would be the addition of a rotating guest spot in the 6N, to include maybe the likes of Samoa, Tonga, Fiji or Uruguay, giving them a chance to play the big boys every few years outside the WC.

The same could be done withe the Rugby championship with a rotating NH team.

This would make things more interesting without changing the fundamentals of each tournament too much. It would bring back the old bye week problem again though.
So CO2 emissions are a factor for the Springboks but not Samoa, Tonga, or Fiji. You gotta be yanking my chain with this stuff.

So CO2 emissions are a factor for the Springboks but not Samoa, Tonga, or Fiji. You gotta be yanking my chain with this stuff.
They would be based in Europe/UK for the duration of the tournament, not like 6N teams crossing hemispheres to play in SA every other week which would happen if SA joined permanently because they would demand a fair share of home games.

Definitely worth it. Maybe not in match results, but an away trip to Rome is worth their participation.

I'm also pretty sure I read somewhere that they had a massive injury list, coupled with an incredibly young side they are bound to struggle.
I agree! 👍

city italy GIF by ali mac

Latest posts