• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Jake wants his job back, within the week.

We lose out to NZ in 2005 because of bonus points.

Brother it did not seem to matter when we won the year before on bonus points.

In 2006 Jake White decided to blood new players (NOT WHAT P DIVVY IS DOING NOW!)
Zane Kirchner, Bjorn Basson , Alistair Hargreaves , Andries Bekker ,Flip van der Merwe , Dewald Potgieter , Francois Hougaard , Juan de Jongh , Gio Aplon and Zane Kirchner are some of the names that spring to mind that made their debut's recently. Add Heinrich Brousouw and Morne Steyn to that list and your statement holds little water. Incidentaly , Jake white has publicly claimed after the lions test last year that he still would not have choosen Broussow.

and it definitely paid off for the 2007 tri-nations (Look how good Steyn was at 12)
Maybe , but were we really tested ? Fiji , argentina and a out of sorts pommie team hardly counts as WC challengers.

Jake White had one "bad" year
First off , Jake had more than one bad year , 2005 we never won the Trinations as well as 2006 and 2007 , we were murdered by the likes of France and the Aussies as well. The same could be argued for PDV , he had one bad year and thats this year , in his first year he beat NZ in NZ , something that ony Mallet achieved recently after many attempts so I wont say 2008 was a complete bad year. It paved the way for future bok team (like last year) and S14 teams like this year.

P Divtwat had record losses in 2008 (19 - 0 at Newlands, need I say more?) and barely beat Wales and Scotland in the EOYT.
Erm yes not a proud record , I was at that game at newlands actually and I remember a gifted try by a mistake from Jean De Villiers at the end , made the result look much worse , Whites worse game - 49-0 , a team that included Matfield , Spies etc etc , need I say more.

In 2009 we won all 3 our NZ games, BUT it was quite frankly, a **** NZ side that made a lot of mistakes.
Why when we win its the players that was good or the opposing team was crap but nothing to do with the coach? FFS we beat NZ twice away , thats something no other modern coach has ever managed. Did u also forget that we beat the Aussies ? or were they k@k as well ?
Do I even need to mention the John Smit tighthead issue?
PDV saw the value of Smit as a cappie but also could not ignore teh form of Bissie . he tried to accommodate both and it failed mostly , he saw the mistake and have since abadonned the experiment. This w\end against the Aussies , they scored all their second half points when smit left the field , coincidence ?

The utter crap EOYT games? You mention Jake White making us lose our first ever game against Ireland, P Div made us lose against the Saracens and the Leicester Tigers.

A second string Leicester Tigers side too.
He said at the time that he knows who he has in the boks as his first and second choice players and took along some new players (see the irony here but anyway) , why can Jake experiment with new blood and when he looses its ok but PDV cannot , in PDV defense he did it in a midweek game which counts for much less than a test match,

Jake White managed to find potential new Springboks during 2006 and the EOYT, P Div finally saw how **** Rose is, and he completely ignored promising youngsters (he's doing that still btw)
Rose went along to see if he can play at that level , Last time I checked he never played for the Boks and have since fallen out of flavor so I dont see the fuss , re new players the last time I checked just out of memory PDV introduced the following players - Zane Kirchner, Bjorn Basson , Alistair Hargreaves , Andries Bekker ,Flip van der Merwe , Dewald Potgieter , Francois Hougaard , Juan de Jongh , Gio Aplon and Zane Kirchner plus Brousouw and Steyn and most of them prior to this year , he also saw value in recalling guys like Van Niekerk , thats throwing the net wide. Jake inherited players like Matfield, Smit, Danie, Percy, Ashwin, Jaque, Jean, Schalk, Juan, Habana, Bakkies,the list goes on but probably not much

You can't say "DONT HIRE JAKE HIS ****, JUST LOOK AT 2006"
Not saying that , am ever grateful for Jake , we won a WC under him , we restored much needed pride in 2004 under him but he is not the Rugby Messiah he claims to be , he is limited as a coach and quiet frankly the way he is going on about it re the Bok job is not cool.

Look at 2004,2005 and 2007. Then look ESPECIALLY hard at 2003.

Look at last year , look at what could have been this year , we could have won all our home matches and lost 2 at the death , look I concede PDV made huge mistakes especially this year , he should never have played Matfield , smit , Habana etc etc for the French and Italy games , the guys are running on empty and he asked to much , then to add I do wish he keeps his bek but I must tell you I am totally confused about him cos I met him once and we chatted for a hour or so , back then my local club (sk walmers) was intesrested in his services and he came across as extremely knowledgeble and polite , also many guys that worked with him like says he knows his stuff , he did coach SA U21 to a WC victory , he was part of Mallets coaching team and he coached local sides like the Maties where the current coach Chean Roux holds him in high regard as well , so I dont know if he is simply misunderstood or just being purposefull on some occasions to take the focus off certain things , one thing os for sure , he has a groot bek (big mouth) that needs to be shut !

SA were gifted that WC when the AB's and Aussie were eliminated, I think even some of the players have admited that. The teams that had a realistic chance of winning were NZ, AUS, France and SA and they were the top 4 ranked teams in the world at that time. the Boks made it through the entire world cup without playing any of those favorites. Their Biggest Challenge came from Fiji??? Very strange scenario, the final game was an anti climax.

Smartcooky , thanks , I am looking for a site that holds records of who played when , ie teamsheets of the games and the results, I had one before but I lost the URL when I rebuilt my machine and the memory aint that good nowdays :) , also a site with results like below. would appreciate it greatly.

It's no secret that SARU had a vendetta against Jake.

Also, a year is more than enough time to turn a team around. We went from being ranked sixth in the world, after an embarrasing WC 2003, as well as the farce that was Streulie and Kamp Staldraad, to winning the Tri Nations less than a year later... There is NO REASON, that this team can't turn things around, and i know that there is a better chance of that happening with Jake White back in the mix than there is with this buffoon PDV.

Yes but we won the Trinations on bonus points that year , Jakes formula is based on playing a defensive game and taking the points on offer , he prefers brain over brawn , he would have no place for guys like Broussouw , aplon , De Jongh to name a few. Maybe that time that gameplan worked but the game has evolved a lot since and to go back to that rugby now might be suicidal.

Smartcooky , thanks , I am looking for a site that holds records of who played when , ie teamsheets of the games and the results, I had one before but I lost the URL when I rebuilt my machine and the memory aint that good nowdays :) , also a site with results like below. would appreciate it greatly.

www.scrum.com has results going back a couple of years with team sheets, match stats etc for most top level test matches, although I doubt the accuracy of somn of the 3N stuff as they appear to differ from match-day stats that are put up by the broadcasters.

If you click the result button, and if the match is written in blue, click it and it will bring up a match review with a timeline, team sheets etc. Some matches have more info that others. Test matches and Aviva Prem has a sheet for each team with the players listed individually for tries, try assists, points scored, kick/pass/run numbers, metres run with ball, clean breaks, defenders beaten, offloads, turnovers, tackles made & missed, lineouts won on own throw or stolen on opposition throw, penalties conceded and yellow or red cards

Last edited:
I'll remind you both what a horrible state England were in going into the 2007 RWC and look where they ended up!
Lol they were in a horrible state at the world cup, didn't they almost lose to USA?

sorry Sam my bad

Last edited:
www.scrum.com has results going back a couple of years with team sheets, match stats etc for most top level test matches, although I doubt the accuracy of somn of the 3N stuff as they appear to differ from match-day stats that are put up by the broadcasters.

If you click the result button, and if the match is written in blue, click it and it will bring up a match review with a timeline, team sheets etc. Some matches have more info that others. Test matches and Aviva Prem has a sheet for each team with the players listed individually for tries, try assists, points scored, kick/pass/run numbers, metres run with ball, clean breaks, defenders beaten, offloads, turnovers, tackles made & missed, lineouts won on own throw or stolen on opposition throw, penalties conceded and yellow or red cards
:D

Jakes formula is based on playing a defensive game and taking the points on offer.

Yep exactly, just watch a replay of the 2007 final, any team playing that style of Rugby which the Boks used to win would get destroyed the way the game is played and reffed today, it had its place, he capitilised on that but that is the only style of Rugby he knows how to coach and its far past its prime.

It seems to be really unhelpful and subversive what he's doing, and motivated more by a huge ego than any real desire to help Bok rugby.

I'm not going to bother arguing with you about this. PDV had a World Champion number one-ranked side. 3 years later, after riding on the shoulders of his 'now tired' senior players, we are in a very bad state. Make of that what you will.

I think White would have been even more loyal and dependent upon the senior Boks than PDV and they would be failing even worse now.

And really his record as coach wasn't that great outside of the 07 WC in which the avoided any real team, from memory he lost horribly to N.Z, lost at least twice to ireland, was even stevens with aussie, lost a few times to england and usually lost to france. Thats pretty poor by Bok standards.

I think the DeVilliers coached boks of 2009 were the most dominant they have ever been. All they need now is a real coach who will stand up and dominate the senior players, they deserve a coach like Deans or Henry.

I'm not going to bother arguing with you about this. PDV had a World Champion number one-ranked side. 3 years later, after riding on the shoulders of his 'now tired' senior players, we are in a very bad state. Make of that what you will.

1996 Tri-Nations ring a bell? World champs in 1995, then bombed in 96. You know why they failed in 2008? Because they weren't a world championship side, they had an extremely easy road to the final through no fault of their own, but no team deserved the world cup in 2007 as all were bad. PDV has also blooded new players.

Based on that though, is Robbie Deans a bad coach? Has a lot of talent in Australia and loses to South Africa and New Zealand nine times in a row, Scotland? Drew with Ireland.

All I can say to you, is go **** yourself. Stop being so arrogant and looking for excuses, PDV isn't on the field playing, missing tackles, collapsing scrums, head butting people, so why blame him. Remember aswell, what he sees in training is different to what you see on the field, these players like Habana might be amazing in training which changes his mind, his speed? His fitness might be better? There is nothing you know or I know as to why the selections are made, all I can say is he knows **** load more than you, and that is why he is getting payed for his opinions.

EDIT : If you really think he is so aweful, apply to be the Boks coach for when he gets sacked, I'm sure you will have a good chance with how much you know more than PDV and all. I mean, you couldn't do a worse of a job than him right?

Last edited:
Good points Sparty, you've managed convince me slightly that we don't want Jake, but we do want him to do an ambulance job and then give the job to Allister.

1996 Tri-Nations ring a bell? World champs in 1995, then bombed in 96.

You do know that our World Cup winning coach of 1995 died don't you? You don't think that affected the players at all? I think it did.

You know why they failed in 2008? Because they weren't a world championship side, they had an extremely easy road to the final through no fault of their own, but no team deserved the world cup in 2007 as all were bad. PDV has also blooded new players.

No team deserved the World Cup as all were bad? Get the **** out of here. That's an astonishingly stupid comment.

Based on that though, is Robbie Deans a bad coach? Has a lot of talent in Australia and loses to South Africa and New Zealand nine times in a row, Scotland? Drew with Ireland.

How the hell can you compare Robbie Deans to PDV? Once Deans plays Gitteu on the wing, fights with his players, publicly backs foul-play and murderers (You don't think this has an effect on the players? Because I sure as hell think it does). Deans does not play a million players out of position does he? He is also not afraid to start youngsters. You Cannot compare Deans to PDV. On another note, quite frankly, we have FAR more talented players than Australia does.

All I can say to you, is go **** yourself.

Stopped reading your horse dribble here. Enjoy the ban.

Good points Sparty, you've managed convince me slightly that we don't want Jake, but we do want him to do an ambulance job and then give the job to Allister.

3 weeks ago I would have agreed more or less re Allistair but then Wp lost 3 in a row , he has also sticked with De Waal completely ignoring a youngster in Conrad Hoffman who has since signed with the sharks and Lional Cronje. Look what a Young Lambie could do for the sharks and Janjies for the Lions , also we forget how people wanted Allistair out of the Bok team in 2006 , even Jake had little faith in him when he bought in Eddie Jones as a backline consultant before the WC.

Yes but out of the possible coaches, Allister will be coach after 2011.

Also look what he did with the stormers in the super 14 and I think he realized the mistakes he made if you look at the WP team for this weekend, looks like a KILLER team.

15 Conrad Hoffmann, 14 Conrad Jantjes, 13 Juan de Jongh, 12 Jean de Villiers, 11 Gio Aplon, 10 Lionel Cronje, 9 Dewaldt Duvenage, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Nick Koster, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Anton van Zyl (captain), 4 Adriaan Fondse, 3 JC Kritzinger, 2 Deon Fourie, 1 JD Moller.

It's close to perfect.

You do know that our World Cup winning coach of 1995 died don't you? You don't think that affected the players at all? I think it did.

Brumbies lost Shawn Mackay in 2009, played badly in the first few games then turned it around to beat the Bulls, Stormers, Reds, Cheetahs and the Blues.

No team deserved the World Cup as all were bad? Get the **** out of here. That's an astonishingly stupid comment.

You must be so proud all this talk about winning the world cup gets to your head a bit though. I think the people you play are more important. Fiji in the quarters (barely won it), Argentina, then England in the final! WOW, WHAT COMPETITION.

How the hell can you compare Robbie Deans to PDV? Once Deans plays Gitteu on the wing, fights with his players

Lote Tuqiri

Iron Mike you made a few good posts during the tri-nations, but even then you were picking fights and one of the few making kak. I think all of us would like this bullshit fights on the forums to stop (I'm a relative newcomer, but it seems to me this is usually a very peaceful place with banter) that is not banter, and you seem to be involved in most if not all of the fights.

Yeooh k. For such amazing players they never actually play that well, not since TVs were invented anyway
It's true, the Boks haven't had one better-than-average-player since 1928

Also, wtf are you smoking?

Latest posts