• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Joe Calzaghe vs Peter Manfredo Fight

G

gjohn85

Just seen Joe's fight, very disappointed by the ref who stopped it too soon. The fight was ended in the 3rd round by TKO. Calzaghe was too quick for Manfredo & if the fight carried on, I don't think he would of lasted many more rounds.

I just hope Calzaghe gets a good fight in July with a top named boxer.

manfredo is an alright name, but i'd like to see calzaghe go up against a big boy in his division..

now speaking of good fights de la hoya vs mayweather should be a hell of a fight

I hate it when people underestimate Calzaghe.
The guy has been waiting for a super fight for absoutely ages. He had to fight that tv star wannabe just to get recognised in the states. It was obvious that the fight was going to be over quickly - it would have been over MUCH sooner had Calzaghe not spent 2 rounds shadow boxing. He is without a doubt one of the best boxers to have come about and he deserves to be given the chance to prove me right.
Americans couldn't take it when Lennox gave Tyson a kicking and they're gonna find it hard to accept the same with Joe.

...JUST coz he's not a yank.

exactly! hes a brilliant boxer... anyone who has seen his destruction of jeff lacy can tell you that. manfredo was all mouth and was not good enough to be in the ring with him and it showed.
hopefully he gets a fight with kessler in july, should be a good fight.

joe's demolition of jeff lacy really wasnt that suprising to me, ive always thought lacy was far overrated.

i like joe i just think he needs to step his game up and challenge a better fighter... plus overall he's not to well known here in the first place.

The man is a genius in the ring. He's also a gentleman out of it. I have stopped him in the street on a few occasions and the last time I saw him he actually acknowledged me first. He doesn't get the recognition he deserves because he won't fight on PPV. If he did that he'd be worth more than Don King.

Joe is the best in the divison. thats for damn sure...

i would love to see him come down under and fight Mundine.

ive been saying Calzaghe is the top of the divison for the last year atleast.

Mundine V Calzaghe would be a cracker...

joe's demolition of jeff lacy really wasnt that suprising to me, ive always thought lacy was far overrated.

i like joe i just think he needs to step his game up and challenge a better fighter... plus overall he's not to well known here in the first place.
[/b]
he can only beat whats put in the ring with him... and he has, every time. hopefully after this fight the american boxing industry will pull its head out of its own ass and give him a big fight, quite how they haven't before is beyond me, surely 11 years as a champion, with 20 defences, and no losses speaks for itself?

I do think the ref stopped the fight to early but Joe really had started to unleash himself. I dont think Manfredo would have lasted another round.

Again he is a typical American boxer in the mold of Apollo Creed in Rocky I all mouth and no game!

[/b]

I don't think Lacy is THAT much of an overrated boxer. He's a pretty stable fighter, but Calzaghe had him nicely.
And trust me, Joe WOULD step up to the plate if a better fighter faced him, but he's not being given it. He deserves a big American now, someone who he can really get to grips with. He's far too good for the likes of Manfredo. But well done on lasting 3 rounds i say.

yea i'd like to see calzaghe fight someone big, but the division he's in, super middleweight, hasnt really been the same with the absence of roy jones jr or even sugar ray leonard back in the day.

thats the problem with calzaghe is his division i think if he dropped down to regular middleweight he'd get tagged around by those speedy guys like winky wright or jermaine taylor

maybe if calzaghe jumped up to light heavyweight he could score a fight against world number 7 pound for pound and fast aging bernard hopkins, that'd be a interesting fight.

he is reportedly going after a july fight with taylor, as kessler won't fight him in a unification bout.
which should be a good fight.

as an aside, anyone see macarinelli's (sp?) fight? that guy can really punch.

Enzo's the man.
Altho considering all the fights that were on, how many rounds of boxing did the audience actually watch?
A lot of money spent there...

he is reportedly going after a july fight with taylor, as kessler won't fight him in a unification bout.
[/b]

Biggest load of ******** i've ever heard!

Kessler wants that fight more than anything, it's Warren and Cowardzaghe who are dodging him.

Anything Warren says should be ignored.He offers fighters pathetic purses to fight his cash cows and then calls them greedy or scared when they rightfully say no. Palle offered Calzaghe a 75/25% split for him to come to Denmark - now that's a real offer. Kessler should be offered at least a 50/50 split to fight in Wales, anything below that is a bogus offer!

If Warren says Kessler turned it down, the truth will be that Warren offered Mikkel 5% to fight Joe in Cardiff with Frank as the referee and Enzo Macrinelli, Enzo Calzaghe and Amir Khan as the judges.

If Calzaghe doesn't agree to fight Kessler i'll lose any respect i have left for the guy (which isn't much after this Manfredo fight :toss: )

just passing on what i had read, warren is a complete twat i agree with you on that, but kessler shouldn't get a 50/50 split, hes only defended his ***le what? 5 times? calzaghe has had 20 defences... that should be reason enough for him to get a bigger chunk of the purse.

why don't you respect him after the manfredo fight? he didn't get tagged, and had it gone another half a round he would have slaughtered manfredo....

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Biggest load of ******** i've ever heard!

Kessler wants that fight more than anything, it's Warren and Cowardzaghe who are dodging him.

Anything Warren says should be ignored.He offers fighters pathetic purses to fight his cash cows and then calls them greedy or scared when they rightfully say no. Palle offered Calzaghe a 75/25% split for him to come to Denmark - now that's a real offer. Kessler should be offered at least a 50/50 split to fight in Wales, anything below that is a bogus offer!

If Warren says Kessler turned it down, the truth will be that Warren offered Mikkel 5% to fight Joe in Cardiff with Frank as the referee and Enzo Macrinelli, Enzo Calzaghe and Amir Khan as the judges.

If Calzaghe doesn't agree to fight Kessler i'll lose any respect i have left for the guy (which isn't much after this Manfredo fight :toss: )
[/b][/quote]

Can't blame Somkin Joe for stopping the fight against Manafraidy. It's down to the ref. Did you want Calzaghe to stand there and allot Manfredo to beat him? I don't think so. To be honest if you fail to raise you'r gloves like Manfredo did then he deserves to lose.

At the end of the day Calzaghe will go down in history as a boxer who failed to gain the credit he really deserves!

what an ass!!

yeah calzaghe is scared of kessler thats right!! you silly little *******!! if anything its a problem with the negotations, kessler reportedly wants half the kitty!! hahahah i mean jeez, joes been a champ for 10 years and never been defeated, whats kessler done? defended his ***le 6 times, against a bunch of jobbers!!

calzaghe and taylor would be an epic!! i am, a HUGE HUGE boxing fan, and have an exstensive knowledge of the sport, the heritage of it, the traditions within in it and of course the politics within in it!! and without doubt joe calzaghe is one of the best boxers to come out of britain EVER, calzaghe have wanted to fight the guys like hopkins all his carear, but unfortunately, the egocentric americans, didnt take him seriously!! i mean lol, americas heaped with boxing talent at the moment.... i mean just look at shannon briggs lol!!

calzaghe and taylor would be an epic!! i am, a HUGE HUGE boxing fan, and have an exstensive knowledge of the sport, the heritage of it, the traditions within in it and of course the politics within in it!! and without doubt joe calzaghe is one of the best boxers to come out of britain EVER, calzaghe have wanted to fight the guys like hopkins all his carear, but unfortunately, the egocentric americans, didnt take him seriously!! i mean lol, americas heaped with boxing talent at the moment.... i mean just look at shannon briggs lol!!
[/b]

Its not that we dont care for Joe Calzaghe its just that he is very unknown here. I might be wrong or mistaken but has he ever fought in the USA? It was the same with Ricky Hatton, he was very unknown here until he fought Louis Collazo in the States, and then later fought in Vegas, and he's set to fight in Vegas again in June to defend his ***le.

I keep hearing how good he is, and how many times he's defended his belt but he really hasnt stepped up to the plate and fought a BIG name fighter. Jeff Lacy i hate to tell you isnt a big name fighter. I think he's a overrated piece of **** of a fighter who is way overhyped. Now if Joe wants to earn his respect here in the states either he A.) Fight in Las Vegas or Atlantic City B.) Fight Jermain Taylor C.) Fight Kessler in the states (preferrably at Madison Square Garden). But until Joe does any of those three things he will be unknown here who will not be taken seriously.

Latest posts