• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Jonah Lomu

Jonah was a great player. He's the reason I switched from American Football to Rugby [/b]
Another great thing about Jonah apart from his playing ability was his (and still continuing) image. He is his own brand. He is recognised the world over by more people than any other rugby player, and in saying that none even come close. Surely Jonah is one of a number of reasons for growth of world rugby.

<div class='quotemain'> Jonah was a great player. He's the reason I switched from American Football to Rugby [/b]
Another great thing about Jonah apart from his playing ability was his (and still continuing) image. He is his own brand. He is recognised the world over by more people than any other rugby player, and in saying that none even come close. Surely Jonah is one of a number of reasons for growth of world rugby.
[/b][/quote]

Hit the nail right on the head there. Every kid who grows up playing rugby dreams of being or pulling off a "Lomu"

Also form whenever i've seen the guy on telly as a pundit or whatever he's always come across as genuine and a nice guy with a passion for the game. Compare his attitude to a certain Australian record try scorer for example.

To make an American Football analogy, Lomu reminds me of Christian Okoye. Okoye was a hulking man who went to the States from Nigeria as a sprinter. They convinced him to try football and he was impossible to bring down. Defenders called him "The Nigerian Nightmare." Like Lomu, he had some injuries and was never the same.

Bo Jackson was also a guy who was incredibly fast to be so large. Arguably one of the greatest all-around athletes in American history, he was an all-star in the NFL and Major League Baseball in the same year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjO_QfFYV78

I'm afraid as good as Vainikolo may be at club level, he'll never match Jonah at international level.
When he came onto the scene no one had seen anything like it, Vainikolo, for all his skill, is not much different the the cohens and the tuiquris of this world.

Was a top player and from what i gather reading about him, a top bloke.

Anyone know what the one thing was that he never ever achieved in his career.....?

Anyone know what the one thing was that he never ever achieved in his career.....? [/b]
I dunno...enlighten us.

I'm guessing its not something as trivial as never kicking a conversion, penalty goal or drop goal?

<div class='quotemain'> Anyone know what the one thing was that he never ever achieved in his career.....? [/b]
I dunno...enlighten us.

I'm guessing its not something as trivial as never kicking a conversion, penalty goal or drop goal?
[/b][/quote]

Well There is that, but he never, in his entire International career scored a try aginst the Springboks! :bleh!:

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> Anyone know what the one thing was that he never ever achieved in his career.....? [/b]
I dunno...enlighten us.

[/b][/quote]

Well There is that, but he never, in his entire International career scored a try aginst the Springboks! :bleh!: [/b][/quote] that's right!.. i thought you were going to say he's never won the world cup.

I've lost some respect for Jonah the man as opposed to Jonah the sportsperson/role model. Any guy who constantly marries and leaves women like he does is bad enough, but now he's leaving them for other mens women. That's low. Fame like his turns womens heads.

The only good thing is that he has helped one guy learn how shallow his wife was. So, publicly he's a good guy and an inspiration to many, on the private side of life, he's not much at all.

My fondest memories of Jonah Lomu was putting the CD into the playstation.

Jonah was a freak and if it had not been for his disease he would have transcended rugby further across many non rugby countries because he simply was...a freak of nature. He was faster than the fastest player in many teams and stronger than the strongest player in many teams. That is so not normal to be both.

Agreed. That's the stuff he's a hero for. I wish I didn't know about his messed up relationships. Damn those papers!

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
I dunno...enlighten us.

[/b][/quote]

Well There is that, but he never, in his entire International career scored a try aginst the Springboks! :bleh!: [/b][/quote] that's right!.. i thought you were going to say he's never won the world cup.
[/b][/quote]
Yeah, we Saffa's are quite proud of that one :D

BTW how many times did he play against the Boks?

Latest posts