• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Jonah Lomu

I've lost some respect for Jonah the man as opposed to Jonah the sportsperson/role model. Any guy who constantly marries and leaves women like he does is bad enough, but now he's leaving them for other mens women. That's low. Fame like his turns womens heads.

The only good thing is that he has helped one guy learn how shallow his wife was. So, publicly he's a good guy and an inspiration to many, on the private side of life, he's not much at all. [/b]

The main reason he has a tough personal life is because he never had a father figure. Combined with him not having the disipline of rugby anymore, he is in a tough spot. Sad really because when he played rugby you saw the real Jonah, now we see the confused, scared Lomu.

Why is it that I can't think of Mike Catt without remembering this: :D

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yvR8CsGcwyQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yvR8CsGcwyQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

One thing that Catt can boast about is a RWC medal. Jonah can't [/b]

Very true but Jonah can boast about having a Sevens RWC medal, being the most recognisable rugby player in the world and still holding the record for the most tries in the RWC.

Agree with a lot of this, Rugby became better known in places like the States because of him. Wouldn't go as far as to say he was the greatest player ever (if he was, he wouldn't have played on the wing, but would have played 9 or 10 probably) and think that the likes of Gareth Edwards and Barry John beat him there 20 years before. Still a great player, because nobody knew that a bloke who's that big can be that fast! Definitly up there with the best wingers ever though.
A lot of people had their doubts about him, calling him a 'failed forward', which is actually probably true, but what does that matter? His pace would have been wasted at somewhere like second row, and he was a bit of a freak on the wing! No matter what some say about him, he did help spread global Rugby. I remember him moving to Cardiff to play for the Blues, the media made a massive fuus becasue it was a really big signing. Only bad thing was that he'd only just started playing again after one of the many operations, so was never himself while he was at the Arms Park. Though apparently he found a bit of his old form in one game where he swatted aside Kevin Morgan with ease to score in the corner.
Great man, great player and a really nice guy.

Whats freaky is when he was still at high school. It was literally like men Vs boys... such a ***anic figure in his school days. Head boy too ay? lol

Are there any videos of him playing in Cardiff colours? i cannot seem to find any.

I recorded some of the matches in which he played for Cardiff Blues. They are the only videos I have of him, unfortunately :( Honestly, even though I am a huge Lomu fan and he is a God to me, he didn't play well during is stint for the Blues. He was off the pace and grossly overweight, but what he did bring was knowledge and he was a teacher for the younger players who probably looked up to him when they were growing up. Look at him over the past few months, he is lighter than he ever was, stronger - maybe not as fast, but he looks great. Can't wait to see him playing at Twickenham in September.

Yeah, I remember Chris Cjekai saying in an interview that Lomu was one of his main inspirations when he was breaking to to Blues senior squad, and that his advice was a big help to him. Yeah, as I said, to be fair to Lomu he'd only just come back into Rugby after one fo his many operations, so he was bound to be off form. It wasn't the greatest of days for Cardiff either, it seems that things have only picked up since the last half of the 05/06 season, before that it was pretty dire days.

The only thing of note when Lomu was at Cardiff worth of mention was some ****** up Notts Forest football fan (who'd been banned from all grounds) hurling racist abuse at him from the touchline. Made headline mainstream news.

I'll say one thing for those Notts roundy fans, they're braver then I am!

The only thing of note when Lomu was at Cardiff worth of mention was some ****** up Notts Forest football fan (who'd been banned from all grounds) hurling racist abuse at him from the touchline. Made headline mainstream news.

I'll say one thing for those Notts roundy fans, they're braver then I am! [/b]

Yeah I saw that, that fan was a complete twat and a fat one at that. Even though the fan was so rounded, Jonah just did what he usually does - act cool.

Found a video of him playing for the Classic All Blacks against Japan, you can tell he has lost some speed - dunno when the match was though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1yKU9fHdmo

i think lomu was a player like we'll never see again.. he was 120kg+ and ran like habana, or however really near to him.. but habana weights 90kg if i'm not wrong. now just think about a today player who weights 120kg +...some names? tialata for example.. i don't think tialata could even run 100 meters in 11 seconds... in my mind, lome was the greatest phisically player of all times. he might not be the best in handsplay or tackles, but i saw some videos of him ( i was too young when i played at his best :p ) and i think that when he started to run woth the ball in hand, noone could stop him. neither a great tackler like mccaw.

When he actually makes a good tackle with good contact, he sends them flying! umm there was this vid of him smashing a bok player somewheres. Pity he couldn't score against them lol

My personal favorite his when he walloped a young, scrum-hat wearing Vincent Clerc into row Z.

Oh, the lulz.

My personal favorite his when he walloped a young, scrum-hat wearing Vincent Clerc into row Z.

Oh, the lulz.
[/b]
It wasn't quite a wallop now was it? You're talking about the one where he tackled him as he kicked the ball right? He made a right hash of that, although I can't remember Clerc flying through the air as a result. :D

If you have any vids of him, please post them, I'll try to check him out next season ( if i read it correctly)

Awesom player, awesome stamina

Latest posts