TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
_52690632_joost226.jpg

Former South Africa captain Joost van der Westhuizen has been diagnosed with a form of motor neurone disease.t

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/9484562.stm

I hope its not that serious that it effects his breathing and eating.

Andre Venter has the same and is now in a wheelchair :(

Hope for a speedy recovery for the guy.

Horrible news ..I am assuming this could be something along the lines of Parkinson's disease ?
Wishing him all the best in the future

Like Paul here in Munster, Sorry to hear news but hope he stays positive and hopefully it wont be as bad.

Very sad news. From what i know of the disease they slowly lose their motor skills until they hit vegetable state and is usually fatal. I hope it doesn't lead to that. Best wishes to him and his family.

This sucks big time my childhood hero has a disease almost the same as that which Venter had. I remembering growing up with Joost "my Hero" and the reason I probably became a Bulls supporter. I know he had his flaws in the past but, hey don't we all. This is really horrible news and all I can say is we will pray for him and his family.

:O yoh!!!!

i was never an SA fan even less a bulls fan...but this guy was really good....

sad news really :(

For me it's a double shock, I honestly didn't hear about what had happened to Andre Venter. I have both of their autographs from 1994 and have met them both briefly. I hope for any kind of discovery to help them with it, no matter how small that may be. :(

it's a fatal disease, all your muscles gradually stop working until one eventually dies

I'm glad Joost had a chance to show the world what a good player he was before this unfortunate illness struck

In the top five scrum halves of the professional era for sure

it's a fatal disease, all your muscles gradually stop working until one eventually dies

I'm glad Joost had a chance to show the world what a good player he was before this unfortunate illness struck

In the top five scrum halves of the professional era for sure

Hear, hear.

Very sad to hear.
Hope they are able to find something else to treat him.
Great player, one of the best.

Tragic indeed. He is going to the US for more tests. Hopefully something good news will come from it.