• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Joost van der Westhuizen loses battle with Motor Neuron Disease (MND)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
South Africa's leading journalist show, Carte Blanche had an interview with Springbok Legend, Joost van der Westhuizen and it aired on Sunday night.

I only managed to watch it last night, and brought tears to my eyes, one of my all time favourite players suffering like this, it was hard to watch.

here is the link to watch the interview:

http://beta.mnet.co.za/carteblanche/Article.aspx?Id=4597&ShowId=1

there are 2 parts of the interview which can both be watched from this link. There's also some other clips where Joost talks about the knock-on which won us the World Cup in 1995.

Enjoy

My God, that is a hard watch!

No words can say......

I hardly recognized the man of the world's most famous knock on.

After Ruben Kruger passing away 2 years ago this is the second 1995 Springbok suffering from a serious illness.

I heard he travelled with the Boks to Argentina to hand out the jerseys. That might be the last time we see him in such a manner... Ai, sad story.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Well, Amor Vittone should just learn to shut the **** up. She is an attention whore who's only objective is to get the sympathy vote from people.

Well, Amor Vittone should just learn to shut the **** up. She is an attention whore who's only objective is to get the sympathy vote from people.

Lol! indeed, But after the Carte Blanche video's there's no way that she'll get any sympathy from any Saffa!

Hard to believe that the man in that video made a fantastic tackle of Jonah Lomu in 1995. Even more hard to believe that both those players are now suffering from serious illnesses which reduces their life-span and leaves them a shadow of their former-self.

The article with his ex-wife is annoying to read. From the photo of her I already disliked her. What exactly was the situation between them? Did Joost really have affairs during her pregnancy? Perhaps seeing this through oval-shaped glasses but I still don't like her.

The thing is, he's likely not got long left to live and without meaning to offend, what life he has got left is going to be very hard. You have to be a very angry, spiteful person to make what must be hell - even harder.

That being said, she does have the right to take action to prevent her name being dragged through the mud, if his allogations aren't true. From the article one line stood out which I thought was rough.

"He doesn't really spend that much time with them. Joost should also help with their homework, pack their schoolbags, bathe them and also maintain strict discipline," Amor told Rapport."

I think she doesn't take MND as seriously as it is. I admire the player and wish him the best - but he's got a very painful and disabilitating road ahead, it's not like he's fine and then a lightswitch goes off; a bit of empathy seems to be missing.

That's the biggest issue. She lacks empathy in this situation. I know Joost is not the best candidate for the father-of-the-year award but give the man a break. Just let go of things and help him through these last few years. He is believed to only have 1 or 2 years left.

My mother never swears but she used the words "daai fokken teef" to describe Amor.

My mother never swears but she used the words "daai fokken teef" to describe Amor.

Google translator gave me the dutch version - "daai breeding bi&#h".

In a sense.

Last edited:
Close enough Nick hahaha. The second word doesn't need translating though ;)

Frail Joost in wheelchair
e69c600663c049749d5834f5c5a343a5.jpg

Former Springbok scrumhalf Joost van der Westhuizen's condition has deteriorated to such an extent that he sometimes needs a wheelchair.
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Frail-Joost-van-der-Westhuizen-in-wheelchair-20130414

Wow. I am shocked to see him this way. It's painful to watch. Only 42 years old and suffering like this. 3 years ago, flanker Ruben Kruger (another member of the 1995 World Cup winning Springbok team) died of brain cancer. Now, Joost van der Westhuizen is suffering from MND and his condition is getting worse.

It's an awful illness. A good buddy Pauly D here in Munster got it in Feb 2011 and passed sadly in Summer of 2011. If ye remember when we won Rabo beating Leinster they brought him up for celebrations. He sadly left a young family and hope Joost is coping as well as can be expected

Really sad news. Joost was probably the first rugby player I saw and just thought "wow, I want to be him" (I was 8 1/2 at the 97 Lions Tour so didn't realise I was a hulking great lump who was destined to join the fatboys in the forwards)

Keep fighting Joost

Latest posts