• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Kiwi Barometer

But do you really want the best flyhalf in the game playing at 2nd five?

Toeava played 1st five at high school (won the Auckland champs). Moved to #12 for Under19 or Under 21 world cup (cant remember which one).
He's not a centre who can play 2nd five. It's the other way around.
G Henry just made him play centre cos we lack there. Thats why his distribution skills are pretty good, and has vision.
I've always wanted to see him play 2nd five. Although with McAlister there, we don't need to :)

Well, we might end up watching Toeava play at 12 this week, with both McAlister & Tuitupou injured. (fingers crossed)

This is the Guidebook that Henry reads everyday before breakfast. It has been confirmed that he does read this forum (especially my weekly judgement on players).

Henry, please take note:

FINAL LINEUP:

1. Tony Woodcock - (Bubbling Under: Clarke Dermody, Simms Davison)

2. Keven Mealamu - (Bubbling Under: Corey Flynn, Tom Willis)

3. Carl Hayman - (Bubbling Under: Campbell Johnstone, Neemia Tialata)

4. Troy Flavell - (Bubbling Under: Chris Jack, Paul ***o)

5. Keith Robinson - (Bubbling Under: Greg Rawlinson, Tom Donnelly)

6. Jerome Kaino - (Bubbling Under: Jerry Collins, Reuben Thorne)

7. Marty Holah - (Bubbling Under: Richie McCaw, Daniel Braid)

8. Mose Tuiali'i - (Bubbling Under: Sione Lauaki, Rodney So'oialo)

9. Brendon Leonard - (Bubbling Under: Piri Weepu, Jimmy Cowan)

10. Dan Carter - (Bubbling Under: Nic Evans, Stephen Donald)

11. Sitiveni Sivivatu - (Bubbling Under: Scott Hamilton, Joe Rokocoko)

12. Luke McAlister - (Bubbling Under: Aaron Mauger, Rua Tipoki)

13. Isaia Toeava - (Bubbling Under: Casey Laulala, Dwayne Sweeney)

14. Doug Howlett - (Bubbling Under: Rico Gear, Lelia Masaga)

15. Mils Muliaina - (Bubbling Under: Cory Jane, Leon McDonald)

P.S: Please, DO NOT question these selections.

Shame if he does, thats the spot on list from my point of view.
But the thoughts of the great one are beyound humble mortals such as myself.

All stand out performers in the Super 14, all of them (bar Sweeny at 13, just can't rate him)

Rua Tipoki is captain of the NZ Maori squad, so I guess he can kiss the All Blacks jersey goodbye.

I found it really tough to name my 30 man suqad, but pretty easy to name my 22 gameday squad.
Mainly because its so hard to choose..

All stand out performers in the Super 14, all of them (bar Sweeny at 13, just can't rate him)
[/b]

I only put Sweeney there because if I had put Tuitavake...most will think I was being biased in my selection (which I'm not).

Rua would've never been in All Black contention - if he was the Brain Trust would've capped him long ago - no way they are going to throw a 30 year old odd player into the Deep End in the World Cup Year, let alone a young gun like Leonard.

It's funny though I've always thought that a player like Rua could handle World Cup and international pressure without breaking a sweat, he comes from the old school of rugby and despite being pretty small by rugby standards I'd definitely class him as a hard man of rugby. Pity no one has seen fit to give him a go and I think that's been more because of his behaviour off the field than anything else.

Last year cost him BIG time... for mine though him and Ma would still make my training squad.
looking at the game time that Rua's had this season he's still been ahead of Mauger (who by the way has been one of the BIG poor performers this season and am sure will be heading to the Northern waste land not by choice but by no other option).

Think we'll see a lot more of Stephen Brett at 12 for the South next year... if McAlister cracks it and goes north (to the great economic waste land) then Brett has an open path to the AB's in the 12 jersey.

And looking at Carter, Brett and the possibility (fingers crossed) of Ice at 13... we have what it takes to keep us on track for the future, we might even redefine how that game is played in the backline for the next 3-5 years.

Hell No.

We need the 12 to have a kicking game - Mauger has an good enough kicking game, and McAlister's rivals Carters, Toeava is an above average kicker at best. Whatever coach takes over if/when Henry retires at the end of the World Cup will see Brett as the prototypical All Black 12 if McAlister goes overseas (if McAlister by some miracle stays Brett will probably end up in McAlisters role before he ursuped Mauger last year, First Five and Centre cover off the bench).

And Tuitavakie's probably going to go overseas soon anyway - is starting to look down the barrel of 30 and soon enough the money will come a calling, especially when the chances look like he will never make All Blacks with the current situation.

Plus one game for Toeava at 12... for the Blues???
This is the AB's mate, Toeava at 12 for the AB's, can't see it happening

Toeava and Smith to fight it out at centre. Toeava to dominate on top fo'shure but still I do believe that Smith will give his best in the All Blacks. I don't know how he crept his way back in. I think Laulala had a good Super 14 season.

Laulala's defence is questionable.. I've seen him get bumped off a few times.. Smith has experience, and he'll be the "safe" option..

I don't think Tuitavake will crack the All Blacks.. Toeava, Smith, Nonu, Kahui, and Laulala I'd have to say are above him..

Kahui and Toeava are both young, so one can imagine the battles these two will endure over the future as long as injuries don't occur

Latest posts