• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lack of atmosphere/rivalry in Rugby a problem?

Back to the present day and the lack of atmosphere/rivalry in Rugby. When was the last time (besides a little bit of needle from Gatland) that anything remotely interesting happened as regards Rugby?. Even cricket (the most genteel game on the planet) has Pietersen to ruffle a few feathers and spark an interest. I cannot recall the last time Rugby made the news (other than listing the results). Where are the personalities? Wheres the controversy? Rivalry? Any feuds?

Coaches, players..are they all told to say nothing?. Gavin Henson may not have been many peoples cup of tea, but at least he got people talking. I don't see any of this in the game. If this is the way many people like it, fine, but the lack of edge in the sport prevents the casual fan from becoming interested.

Bahahahahaha really??

Wow... maybe that's why the South dominates the North so relentlessly? There's endless feuds and controversies in Rugby in the Southern Hemisphere...

Quade Cooper, James O'Connor, Robbie Deans, Matt Giteau, Ewen McKenzie, Jake White and pretty well anyone who has been involved in the Wallaby set up or wanting to be over the past few years has been endlessly in trouble for public feuds, arrogant pronouncements or bad behaviour. And that's not even getting into all the crap that happens every time NSW and Qld play eachother.

Heck, on Cooper, he STILL gets relentlessly booed every time he plays any game in NZ because he came out and said he didn't think the All Blacks were much chop lol.

But maybe it helps us? After all, Australia has a fraction of the Rugby resources that most other top tier nations have, and yet continue to be a top 3 nation.

Also, on Cricket - you're clearly not much of a fan... or maybe it's just a UK thing, because man! Anyone who describes Australian Cricket as "genteel" ... has not ever seen an Australia cricket team play the game. Unless of course you consider threats from Australian players to break your "f#cken arm" and a relentlessly aggressive approach to their opposition as "genteel".

Last edited:
Yes, when watching the evening news. But not when you're smack dab in the middle of a nest of ole-chanting morons*.

*I realize not all soccer/football fans are obnoxious, rude, and moronic. I only refer to those who are.

das

what in all of Zeus' sexual perversion are you talking about ?!! Yes they are, every single last one of em ! I don't mean to be a rude bish, but your input on this thread is just low quality altogether. There, I said it. :rolleyes:

what in all of Zeus' sexual perversion are you talking about ?!! Yes they are, every single last one of em ! I don't mean to be a rude bish, but your input on this thread is just low quality altogether. There, I said it. :rolleyes:

YOU'RE the one always telling me I have to behave and be good! Make up your mind!!! :mad: Sheesh. Yer more fickle than straight guys in a Leigh Halfpenny thread. ;)

das

YOU'RE the one always telling me I have to behave and be good! Make up your mind!!! :mad: Sheesh. Yer more fickle than straight guys in a Leigh Halfpenny thread. ;)

das

*with people pretending to hold him back*
YOU TAKE THAT BACK !!

And by the way, not that you're subtle enough to understand this, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with appreciating, in a respectful manner, and from a purely neutral aesthetic point of view, the structural quality of Halfpenny's magnificent figure.........................
*straight face, sweat dripping from forehead*

*with people pretending to hold him back*
YOU TAKE THAT BACK !!

And by the way, not that you're subtle enough to understand this, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with appreciating, in a respectful manner, and from a purely neutral aesthetic point of view, the structural quality of Halfpenny's magnificent figure.........................
*straight face, sweat dripping from forehead*

*grabs garden hose and sprays down Big E...*

Feel better now? ;)

I think we may have just figured out how to spice up the game of rugby. Have it played in the nude like the first Olympians. :)

das

Dunno about you lads over in Leicester, but here in Belfast we we're all pure upper class we are - stiff upper lip n all that - far too concerned with our social standing to... actually cheer. Only soccer peasants concern themselves with such insignificant things as coins... and we wouldn't want to handle anything touched by such creatures... might contract rabies or something.

Throwing (crisp) 20 pound notes at players might not have the same effect... :unsure:

In Leicester not only do we not cheer we dont actully watch the game as to do so would risk accusations of taking it all a bit seriously. As the troll sorry author of this thread correctly states in England its just a middle class social were we just stand around talking about shooting while the games going on.

Feel better now? ;)

I think we may have just figured out how to spice up the game of rugby. Have it played in the nude like the first Olympians. :)

das

Whoa whoa whoa, boys get a room ;-) .

As for the idea on how to spice up the rugby, I thought Stade Français had been doing that for years?

Whoa whoa whoa, boys get a room ;-) .

As for the idea on how to spice up the rugby, I thought Stade Français had been doing that for years?

So, you have the calendar then? ;)

(At least they have boys pretty enough to pull it off - could you imagine the Scots doing the same thing? They'd need face-doubles! ~ says the proud to be part Scot from the USofA..)

das

Bahahahahaha really??

Wow... maybe that's why the South dominates the North so relentlessly? There's endless feuds and controversies in Rugby in the Southern Hemisphere...

Quade Cooper, James O'Connor, Robbie Deans, Matt Giteau, Ewen McKenzie, Jake White and pretty well anyone who has been involved in the Wallaby set up or wanting to be over the past few years has been endlessly in trouble for public feuds, arrogant pronouncements or bad behaviour. And that's not even getting into all the crap that happens every time NSW and Qld play eachother.

Heck, on Cooper, he STILL gets relentlessly booed every time he plays any game in NZ because he came out and said he didn't think the All Blacks were much chop lol.

But maybe it helps us? After all, Australia has a fraction of the Rugby resources that most other top tier nations have, and yet continue to be a top 3 nation.

Also, on Cricket - you're clearly not much of a fan... or maybe it's just a UK thing, because man! Anyone who describes Australian Cricket as "genteel" ... has not ever seen an Australia cricket team play the game. Unless of course you consider threats from Australian players to break your "f#cken arm" and a relentlessly aggressive approach to their opposition as "genteel".

Sounds good. The problem (from my pov) is the Rugby/cricket you are describing are nothing like that in the UK. Football in England more than makes up for it though. I need my fix of Rugby also so just wish it had more of what goes on in Australia.

Sounds good. The problem (from my pov) is the Rugby/cricket you are describing are nothing like that in the UK. Football in England more than makes up for it though. I need my fix of Rugby also so just wish it had more of what goes on in Australia.

But wait, aren't you Irish? Who cares what happens in England? From what my Irish co-workers tell me, Rugby in Ireland isn't exactly devoid of atmosphere and passion... In fact it looks like the crowd get pretty bloody involved at times - particularly when you play England. So why should you need to watch a bunch of over-paid prima donnas from all over the world represent soccer regions of England that have no connection to Ireland to get your "fix" of atmosphere?

Last edited:
In the Aviva 2/3's of the supposed fans are still in the bar when the team come out and late back at half time. Full of nobs who were never at a club game it's no wonder the atmosphere is crap.

Any how ye make your own atmosphere !!!!

In the Aviva 2/3's of the supposed fans are still in the bar when the team come out and late back at half time. Full of nobs who were never at a club game it's no wonder the atmosphere is crap.

Any how ye make your own atmosphere !!!!

That's a bit of an exaggeration on an exaggerated point Alan Quinlan made last Autumn! The Aviva used to have a **** atmosphere, Deccie was the one who supplied it. I was at the Wales game and it was a far better atmosphere than anything pre-almost beating the All Blacks, once they realise they don't need to play music and use fireworks to make an atmosphere I'll be very happy with that stadium's atmosphere.

The Aviva's atmosphere seems to have gotten much better since its awful opening in 2010(?) when the place was half empty.

That's a bit of an exaggeration on an exaggerated point Alan Quinlan made last Autumn! The Aviva used to have a **** atmosphere, Deccie was the one who supplied it. I was at the Wales game and it was a far better atmosphere than anything pre-almost beating the All Blacks, once they realise they don't need to play music and use fireworks to make an atmosphere I'll be very happy with that stadium's atmosphere.

I don't know that it's fair to blame Kidney for the atmosphere. I was at the Samoa match in the Autumn and the atmosphere was appallingly bad. People were chatting to one another and on their phones for almost the entire game, and the seats only filled up about five minutes after kick-off. The atmosphere at the Australia match wasn't much better, although the fact that we got spanked probably didn't help.

All seater stadiums are ****.

Thats pretty much the bottom line. You'll invariably always get a better atmosphere in a terraced stand.

Feel better now? ;)

das

much better !!!!....thank you..

could you imagine if that really happened though. Could you imagine how the rucks would be ! :lol: one huge pile of man junk...*shiver* brwwwheeew !....
And when there's an intercept and you see one guy running like a maniac with his thing swinging in all directions :p

Seems the original poster is more interested in tabloid sensationalism then actual sport.

All seater stadiums are ****.

Thats pretty much the bottom line. You'll invariably always get a better atmosphere in a terraced stand.

This. Every all seater stadium I've been to, with the exception of the Millenium Stadium and the Stade de France (both have had excellent atmosphere's everytime I've been) have been a bit flat. Massive difference between the Cardiff City Stadium and the Cardiff Arms Park, terraces win every time.

when team came on the pitch the stadium was 1/3 full and I had to stand up numerous times with people coming back from the bar well after the start of the second half. Yeah the Wales game was great but this was due to the build up from the lions tour and the hiding we gave them helped too.

I presume the op is comparing rugby to football when he talks about lack of atmosphere.Personally I think we have little to learn from a sport where the "atmosphere" tends to consist of obscene songs sang by fans who have to be segregated to stop them killing each other and fixtures can only take place with huge numbers of police present.

Latest posts