• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lansdowne All Clear

why not build up? or build up the areas behind the try areas, you dont need much room to build up, they did it with ohio stadium which is 100,000 all seater and it fits very nicely, so i dont see why they cant do that with LR.

ohio_stadium2.jpg

that stadium doesnt take up that much space..

a little bit is built below ground allowing it to be larger in size and not as much space needed.

That takes up far more space then Lansdown does. Then considerhalf the stadium was on stilts to accomidat the train lines below etc. It'd never work, plus the council would more then likely never allow the stadium to go up to 80000.

yep thats how you build the mammoth stadiums nowadays.. plus you could probably fit it better with the skyline than the beast of a structure their planning on building in dublin.

Most American stadia only have benches instead of propper seating which takes up far less space, therefore you can squeeze far more people in (much like being on a terrace).

columbus_ohio2.jpg
london_wembley2.jpg

Now when you compare that to what Fifa say about seating arrangeements for football matches (which the stadium will be used for just as much as Rugby), the law means the stadium needs full seating facilities like Wembley or tne Neu Camp. So when you sonsider how much bigger a european suadium needs to be to accomidate 100,000 then it's American equivalent because of the rules and regulations, there would never be the space. Especially around Dublins docklands.

Just compare the size of these two (approx) 100,000 Stadiums;

_41953932_wembleyfromabove416.jpg
ann_arbor_michigan1.jpg

Wembley; 90,000..................................................................................Michigan Stadium; 107,000; Yet it's smaller

Its not just FIFA regulations, its UK LAW!

You can't have any benching or terracing in a major football stadium in the UK, it must, must be all seated. Thus they have to accommodate that and thus the stadia tend to be much bigger than outside of Europe.

Besides, who wants to sit on benches?! Bloody poor people.

We're talking about Lansdown road; That's not in the UK now is it? And you're wrong about UK law as I stand of a terrace every week in a 13,000+ stadium. That would count as a major stadium.

I used Wembley as an example.

Oh sorry, I was confusing actual law with The Taylor Report which followed the Hills borough Disaster.

And anyway, I don't care where Lansdowne Road is! I was talking about the UK!

To be honest, I've tried terraces (at Kingsholm) and I didn't like them, having to stand for the best part of two hours was really uncomfortable, also, there was nowhere to put your pint so you had to put it on the floor which was most annoying, having to kneel down to get your pint.

I can't because I gesture allot with my right hand.

Y'know middle fingers, v-signs, wankers, etc.

Haha, only joking, actually, my hands get cold so I prefer to put my pint on the ground.

well the benches really arent bad considering a majority of the game youre not sitting there anyhow. like when i go to ohio state games every third down you stand and clap and whistle an yell or whatever to get it really loud for the away team, or when ever its a buckeyes third down you get up to cheer them on.

C'mon, Teh Mite...that's not really fair...we're all to fat for seats...we need a good bench to fit our enourmous Ameri-thighs.
I will say, Fenway Park (Boston Redsox) have some tight seats...geez...they must have been skinny midgest back in 1908.

But baseball stadiums are mostly empty, so there's plenty of space to spread your lardy butts.

<div class='quotemain'>
But baseball stadiums are mostly empty, so there's plenty of space to spread your lardy butts.
[/b]

not fenway..
[/b][/quote]
definitely not fenway. Fenway is baseball.

Another thing to consider when looking at those pictures, is that an American Football pitch is much smaller than a rugby pitch.

It is 20 meters narrower and 15 metres shorter.

Plus, all those sites don't have roofs (which is unthinkable in the UK and Ireland) and they own all the property, which ends up as car-parks, so they don't have to worry about overspill or disruption to the area.

We Europeans make things so complicated... Although Croke Park and Nou Camp are examples of masterpieces i Must say!

This whole thing could well get delayed again because Wanderers are taking the IRFU to court to seek an injunction to prevent the destruction of their pavillion as they believe the IRFu have broken their agreement.

Latest posts