• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

LCD HD Gaming

A

ak47

OK

Last night i went to a mates house to play Gears and the new Tony Hawks.

On an el cheapo LCD - soniq $800.00 or something

My mate has never even touched the settings on the thing - so i assume it can get better.....the blacks were greyish, but that must come down to contrast/brightness setting which has never been touched.

I was blown away......this isnt the first time, but it is the first time, i was able to suck on a few beers and play on LCD.

After a good 3 hours of LCD bliss, i get home to load up the ole CRT.........my colours are more vibrant, makes it look like a cartoon in comparison..........but NOW I SEE THE FLICKER............the CRT flicker which i never really noticed until now.........i couldnt even play GEARS at home after the LCD experience....i had to play PES, which we all know is a **** poor lookin game (plays like GOD though).

Its nearly time to BUY........if not now, definately after the crazy xmas period.

So tell me if any of you have LCD, and which brand, model, and any feedback would be good.

Which cables u use, if componenet or VGA etc.

My CRT is nearing the brink.........well its not really...........i'll just have 2 TV's in my room

LCD for X360.........the CRT for rolling sports digital coverage via STB, like cricket etc.

This is going to be my next big purchase as well

and I am considering this
http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/LCDTV/LNS2651DXXAA.asp

b2c_m_lns2651a.jpg

I would personally go for a Samsung or a LG TV as they are currently the best on the Market!!!

This is going to be my next big purchase as well

and I am considering this
http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/LCDTV/LNS2651DXXAA.asp

b2c_m_lns2651a.jpg

I would personally go for a Samsung or a LG TV as they are currently the best on the Market!!!
[/b]

you *******

look at what i was looking at

prolly same model - but the aussie verison

http://www.samsung.com/au/products/tv/lcdtv/la27s71b.asp

i have been told Sammy all the way

P.S dont go LG........they may look smick, and affordable but i heard reliability, and customer service(which stems from reliability issues) is cack

Edit: its not the same version...i think that one has an built in HD tuner....the one i lookin at dont......i wont go that far as i have an STB

Well recently I was a gadget show, for work purposes (when I played on the PS3) and basically they had a home entertainment section with high end goods, and I was talking to one of the blokes asking why they were using LG, compared to Panasonic or Pioneer, LCD's and he basically said that they rate them as one of the top 3 TV makers on the market, and noticed majority of the stands had LG TV's.... So that was my theory for suggesting them, although the Samsung I am looking at is the one used on the pods for Xbox 360's... and has a Gaming Mode which enhances the colours and all. so it looks rather tempting... 26" is perfect for my needs, as I have a 50" HD LCD downstairs...

I got this for my bedroom;

SAM_MF_30854_SM940MW_BIG.JPG

Its a 19" Samsung Sync Master 940MW LCD Monitor/Tv. I got this for HD gaming on the 360. I am running games on 1080i. I am also playing the original xbox (via Compenent) too. Got it for a cracking price of £250.

I bought an Viewsonic 19 inch wide screen LCD monitor new for 500 nz. I had to buy a special cable to connect to the 360. Its awsome and pretty cheap too!!

ceejay is back - good - i remember when u got that

is that the vx922??

i am sold already on this now

http://www.eyo.com.au/prod_H-CMV-221D_prod...lver_Black.html

for some feedback go here

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-repli...cfm/629981.html

under $500.00 - 22inch, so only losing 4 inches.........5ms response (i have only seen one better at 2ms..the viewsonic vx922, but its only 19inch.......too small)

This chemei is bang for your buck............its sounds no name but they are the biggest makers of LCD's in Thailand and surrounding countries.......Benq have done a deal with them regarding this particular monitors panel.

its a monitor so i can keep my TV, for TV......let me tell you DVD's and TV via the STB on my panasonic CRT with components make u feel u are there.....just with gaming and 480p it doesnt do the x360 justice.........so i cant rid of it, cause TV/DVD's are too good on it.

Have heard Toshiba and Samsung are very good, also Schaub Lorenz. Am currently researching one for myself, but it'll double as movie tv also, so going either 32" or 37". Must be 720p minimum for good HD and gaming apparently too.

the negative thingy for next gen consoles:(

if only the HD tv's came with the console...

AK, go to this forum.... http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?act=idx ask these blokes about LCD's in OZ and which is best for you for the price.

They seriously know their **** and will be able to tell you where to go in Sydney to get the best deal.
[/b]

I've been all over that site like a fatboy on a smartie Truthy

First got on that mob, when i got my STB, and had to point my antenna in the right direction for optimum Digital Ashes Cricket in 2005....SBS here was an issue, until i found the DTVforum.

The whirlpool.net forums also are great.

I got my sources aswell..........i am going thru a mate that outsources HR software.....his office is growing, and i am using him, as they order many LCD's monthly, and perhaps I can squeeze in on the "Business deals"

I love TODAY.........i miss 3 hours of cricket.......then at 4pm.......i go and watch the majority of play, on my couch.........pizza in one hand.......beer in the other........man i love it how Perth is 3 hours behind!!!

:cheers:

DONE N DUSTED

DONESKIES!!!!

See that link above for my NEW LCD monitor for a cheap AUD$445.00 - 22inch hell yeah

Bought the VGA - 15pinner.........with optical plug in the back for optimum sound - i like how xbox have intergrated the optical with there cables

now to the point

the clarity is next to none - chrystal clear edges, and the on screen text is like 3d sticking out at you.

there is minimal ghosting - this comes down to the 5ms response time.

the main gripe i do have is the contrast, the blacks n whites and colour definition.............i think this is to do with the vga cable and not component..........component makes the colours more vibrant, and i have taken that for granted with my ole CRT.

also there is an in issue with the screen on angle.................if playing with mates and u sit 1m to the left of the screen u will notice some fading...keep in mind i am 1m ayway from the screen thus thats like a 45 degree angle.........u can see it clearly, but u lose quality - just a tad

coz its an lcd monitor and not tv..........u can sit as close as you want.....................i did this and sat immediately in front of, like an office desk.........this is where the puppy shines................it is rediculous, how much better pro evo looks........................REDICULOUS

there's also about 6 settings on the xbox i have to find which is the best..........with VGA cable you dont get the options of 720p, or 1080i..........u get the lcd pc options of pixelation.........ie 1388 x 768 or 1788 x 1050, and there is about 6 of these............i need to hit the web today and find the recommendation of that setting.............i tried 3 of them and i cant really tell...........

BUT GEARS OF WAR ON LCD.....................IS LIKE GOING TO THE MOVIES..............REDICULOUS DEFINITION OF DETAIL..............but where is lacks or could improve is in the dark dark areas, which come up a lil grey.........the amount of times i got pinned by KRYLL (those flying bullets) was ******* me off...i thought i was in light.........there is brightness on the game setting and brightness on the lcd.............adjusting these did help, but really the CRT owns in this regard.............the transition from dark to light on a CRT is next to none...........i even noticed this at my mates house on tuesday with his LCD Soniq TV.............and we all know the LCD's lack in the contrast definition............playing games like GEARS, and Splinter Cell will be effected by this..............but at the end of the day i am sports gamer.............i havent loaded up madden yet..........if i did i would not be here, i'd be at home

i also noticed if the screen is slighty higher than your eyes horizontally..........u get a better black ratio............i need to find something to make this hight..........if the screen is a little lower than your line of sight...............it loses the black definition............IF U HAVE AN LCD JUST STAND UP, SEE HOW BRIGHT IT GOES.............THEN CROUCH DOWN AND SEE HOW DARK IT GOES..........I WISH THERE IS A TILTING OPTION ON THE STAND........MAYBE THERE IS I WAS SOO ****** AT THE TIME............I NEVER EVEN LOOKED

Anywho the X360 - not that it needed it.........has a new heartbeat........i will be playing all weekend 1m from the screen............PRO EVO on LCD is BS......i know the graphcis fail in comparison to other ***les, but this really takes the cake with the optimum gameplay.

Tiger Woods will also shine shine shine......finally i wont have to triple check the figures n stats, as the numbers will be clear sharp and sticking out at me.....and the graphics, well Tiger Woods is like a phantasy land u go into, and play golf.........i love it.

congrats ak i am in envy of you. i still have no xbox 360, the only thing i have close to an lcd screen is my lcd projector, not that i am complaining its all good. i was watching the ashes on it last night while i was cleaning up the loungue. ok i was sitting back having a beer watching the cricket when i should have been cleaning up the lounge

AK, did you not get the component cables with your 360?

I use component cables on my LCD and have no problems with the picture.

AK, did you not get the component cables with your 360?

I use component cables on my LCD and have no problems with the picture.
[/b]
yeah i got component with the 360, and used them on my CRT.....but the monitor doesnt support component...only VGA and DVI........its not an LCD TV, its a PC monitor..or in my case, an X360 monitor :p

The picture is squeeky sharp dont get me wrong.......its approx 50% than what i previously had

but i did lose the vibrant colours that the CRT/Components gave me

i still gotto fiddle around with the lcd's settings.........was too ****** to do it properly last night, and all i wanted to do was play play play on the new screen, as it just blew me away - just like they did everytime i'd go into a store and played one on an lcd.

can u get VGA/DVI adapters

hopefully M$ come out with a DVI cable......all the LCD nerds rave about it, with their pc's.

yes you can get vga dvi adapters, i think i have two, dont have a monitor that use dvi, but i have 2 crt monitors on plugged into my dvi

what do people think of this

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-de-49-en-70-1d2s.html

would this be the answer - to get component into the LCD monitor that only supports VGA??

Also do u reckon you would lose quality thru the conversion

I have heard VGA is clearer..........sharper picture.......but i cant really gauge if its the VGA or my monitor improving the picture

I miss my vibrant blacks n colours...........but love the crispy VGA definition

Would this converter bring all the bells n whistles onto 1 screen - ie vibrant blacks n colours, and crispy VGA connection

Its still new........thus there arent many reviews of it...and it aint cheap either

vga is defintaly clearer, that will pretty much give you a component input onto your vga cable, shouldnt lose anything, but also wont gain anything either.

the "vibrant blacks and colours" depends on your monitor really. and contrast brightness etc

Latest posts