• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Leinster v Munster

Bag of frozen peas will see me till morning, i can move all my fingers so it's not that bad. A prop jumped on my back, and i landed oddly on my wrist, probably/hopefully just sprained. Sods law as well, last game of the season (and it was a charity Union match between my League team and the Army Officer Training Corps, during which i played lock, instead of centre/wing :p stole three lineout balls though), and got injured in any up untill 70th minute of todays

Only an hour till kick, time to go and get a chinese I reckon :p

Yup, 3 - 3 at half time =/

Think Leinster are performing a bit better, but pretty stale all told

think Munster will now control the game with the breeze in the second half, should win by a couple of scores at least.

Four minutes into the second half and theres been twice as many points as in the whole of the first!

Edit: Penalty Try & Yellow Card, should've been. O'Leary and Munster very lucky there

Last edited:
16-6 at fulltime. Jamie Heaslip is insanely good.

Fair dues to Munster; last time they came to the RDS they scored nothing. This time they scored infinitely more points............

Yeah, second half was quality.
Very intense from both sides, felt for sure Munster were going to get something.
O'Garas cross field kick inside his own 22 to Earls could've back fired horribly, but it went very well, and got them decent meters,
As above, Heaslip is truely immense. Hell of a player, best 8 in the world atm easily

Roll on the final!

heaslip had an awesome game ...although his pack was going forwards all day and he really took full advantage of that hitting the hard yards off every scrum

Sometimes I get tired of being this right. Munster have failed to score a try against Leinster in their last 4 attempts, some backline indeed.

Lads hard to stomach and well no complaints as Leinster were the better team with a brilliant defense and clinical finishing.
My views are simple
- As I reported Fla pi**ed McGahan off in someway that saw him get no game-time although Varley did well.
- I think even Leinster fans will agree Earls looked dangerous and will be a star back for Ireland and seems most natural replacement for BOD
- Mafi was very good too and well happy to see him returning to form hopefully for next season
- It kills me to say this but lads John Hayes can't cut it at this level anymore which means Ireland are in major problems as we have no other prop capable at 3.
- I've said this in other Threads and I'll say it again Parisse, Harinordoquy and whoever else ye want to mention I don't care are no where near Heaslip who not only is best 8 in world now but has been since last July and never had a dip in form. It was a pleasure seen him tonight.
- McLaughlin has nailed down 6 jersey too for tour down-under after tonight but I thought Niall Ronan got exposed tonight, was i the only one who thought this ?
- Also what annoyed me the most is Munster missed to many tackles and let players float by untouched too.
But at end of day, Munster's discipline and decisions were poor at times tonight which showed where Paulie is important.
If we are to be serious next year we need a prop, a backrow forward, we have a kiwi centre coming in but we're seriously in need of a winger and well tonight again I watched Fisher again in the warm-up and well i've seriously been disappointed with him. Foley needs to be put in charge of forwards and well I think McGahan needs to reconstruct his backroom too.

Best of Luck to Leinster in final and well again well deserved tonight really can't have any complaints

That's quite an accurate overview munstermuffin - I agree with most of it.

Varley was decent but struggled throwing it into the lineout. He's usually better in that area. I think Flannery is a better player but Varley is a more than useful backup option.

Earls is a wonderful attacker and probably the best Irish player at breaking through an opposition defence. I've serious concerns about his defensive positioning (as opposed to his tackling which is quite good) though. It was very noticeable that he lined up on the wing, with Mafi moving to outside centre, when Leinster had the ball.

Mafi is a quality player who's unfairly criticized by a lot of Munster fans. He did have a good game.

Hayes was woeful in all aspects, not just his scrummaging. Time to let Buckle or a new signing take over the 3 shirt.

Heaslip is showing incedible form all year. He's usurped Brian O'Driscoll as the most important player in Leinster's team. Future Ireland captain without a doubt.

McLaughlin has come from nowhere to be a very effective player. His form has picked up in the last few weeks after a dip since Christmas.

Niall Ronan doesn't impose himself of games. He's a nice footballer but he's not strong enough to impose himself at the breakdown. He'd be a superstar in a shitty league like the Premiership.

I don't think Munster's defence is a problem, in fact it's possibly one of their strongest suits. They concede very few tries. Munster need to sort out their scrum, lineout and work at the breakdown.

O'Connell missing was a factor but Leinster were also missing their captain. I don't rate O'Gara as a captain though. He's hot-headed and a poor tackler - that's not leading by example. Mick O'Driscoll is a better option to lead in POC's absence.

Tony McGahan is the right man for the job. On a macro level, he's brought Munster a Magners League crown, a couple of Heineken Cup semi final appearances and a ML semi final spot with an ageing team in only 2 years. He's also kickstarted the academy which has lead to Munster contesting the B&I Cup final today. He does however need to show his backroom staff the same ruthlessness which he shows his players. McGahan hasn't been afraid to drop players (Jean De Villiers being a great example) when they underperform and he's been quick to cut the deadwood from the squad (he culled around 10 players last season). Now he needs to cull his forwards coach and probably get a new video analyst. Fisher has been a disaster.

On a player recruitment front, Sam Tuitupou and Johne Murphy are welcome signings. They need to be joined by a tighthead prop, a backrower and a scrumhalf in my opinion. The Magners League must be used to bring through the next generation of players. Give Dave Ryan, Donnacha Ryan, Peter O'Mahoney and Paddy Butler significant gametime and Munster will reap the rewards in future seasons. Continuing to pick Mick O'Driscoll, James Coughlan, Niall Ronan and Ian Dowling in big games will get you nowhere.

Snoop I think Coughlan is a handy player but Donnacha Ryan will have a big season in my eyes next year and could be a lead player for us at 6 or second row.
I agree McGahan is the man but I think he needs to make changes in his backroom and my hope is Foley gets a larger input next season.

As for Earls, the decision to bring Mafi in is because Mafi is our best tackler and he goes to 12 JDV to 13 and Keith out to wing. This has been happening for a few games now and isn't anything to do with Earls defense just he the more viable option to put out to wing.

Agreed also ROG isn't a captain, my belief is DOC should e given job but that the captain should always be in the pack as they are better leaders and have more influence.
And Fla was being punished last night as I said during week and that why he saw no game-time.
Just think we need to work alot harder to rise to Leinsters level now which is the marker for us but still there is hope.

As if we remember Leinster scored 10 points in a 5min spell which was the difference.

Snoop I think Coughlan is a handy player
He is indeed. I'm a great admirer of how he worked his balls off to earn a Munster contract off the back of performances in the AIL. He's not going to win you games though. Peter O'Mahoney and Paddy Butler have star quality and need to be blooded. Coughlan is a good Magners League player but he'll never be international or top level Heineken Cup class. That's what I meant by my previous comment.

what a match. the tackles were awsome. deserved by leinster but an improvement by Munster.
Leinster:
-very good defence espeicially when it counted
-good scrum however that mignt just be because munsters is so awful
-Kearney had a good game dancing through tackle good under the high ball made some good tackles aswell
-Heaslip brilliant does everything you want from a number 8 and more. player of this years magners league
-Sexton also did well being hes only just come back from injury

Munster:
-Defence was fairly good
-scrum was horrible
-attack just doesn't have anouther level
-earls played very well thought his defence was good. doesnt matter if hes not in the correct possition aslong as hes marking someone

He is indeed. I'm a great admirer of how he worked his balls off to earn a Munster contract off the back of performances in the AIL. He's not going to win you games though. Peter O'Mahoney and Paddy Butler have star quality and need to be blooded. Coughlan is a good Magners League player but he'll never be international or top level Heineken Cup class. That's what I meant by my previous comment.

Well when you put it like that I agree like he can do a job in H'Cup when needed like this season when there injury he a good squad player. But will never be a starter in a fully fit squad.
Also agree with the 2 lads been star quality but I think it will be 2/3 seasons maybe before they are fully ready and well our problem is those 2/3 seasons and filling in the gaps.
Leamy is injury prone and well we have to protect him next season especially after tis injury.
Quinny won't be able for as much next year and Wally will do 80mins but not as many games.

I think Donnacha Ryan will see alot of time at 6 next year and well Nick Williams or whoever they bring in to replace him will need to be a 26-29 year old who we will have to fill in that gap and help bring lads in to the fold. I think next years ML is a massive one for us in terms of trying to be competitive but also blooding guys.

And coonor Earls was positioned on the wing just so we could make better use of Mafi's tackling and well it was a tactical idea that was used (vs Ospreys, Biarritz and Leinster)

Also lads forgot to mention it but a sad sight to see JDV leave the red jersey with injury. Overall he did a good job and despite a slow start he really bought in to the cause and did Munster proud. He showed an absolutely amazing attitude to being dropped in Dec and never looked back since.

Also just watched replay and seen Sexton had problem with his jaw is that serious or what.

I think next years ML is a massive one for us in terms of trying to be competitive but also blooding guys..
I don't know if you'll agree with me but i think Munster may write off next year's Magners League. The current starting 15 if everyone is fully fit are more than capable of making the knockout stages of the Heineken Cup again if they get adequate rest throughout the season. That means not picking players like O'Gara, Wallace, Howlett, O'Connell, Flannery and Quinlan in the Magners League. Insted of picking the tried and trusted players, Tony McGahan may be well advisied to use the 22 game league season to get Dave Ryan, Felix Jones, Scott Deasy, Peter O'Mahoney, Damien Varley, Tom Gleeson and more fully up to speed with pro rugby. If all of those players get 15+ starts it'll ease the transition period which Munster will have to fully face into a year from now.

I don't know if you'll agree with me but i think Munster may write off next year's Magners League. The current starting 15 if everyone is fully fit are more than capable of making the knockout stages of the Heineken Cup again if they get adequate rest throughout the season. That means not picking players like O'Gara, Wallace, Howlett, O'Connell, Flannery and Quinlan in the Magners League. Insted of picking the tried and trusted players, Tony McGahan may be well advisied to use the 22 game league season to get Dave Ryan, Felix Jones, Scott Deasy, Peter O'Mahoney, Damien Varley, Tom Gleeson and more fully up to speed with pro rugby. If all of those players get 15+ starts it'll ease the transition period which Munster will have to fully face into a year from now.
I think that will be exactly what Munster will do and if we keep maybe 2/3 experienced heads in too (Howlett, Warwick etc) and rotate experienced guys too and go in with no expectations/pressure to ML then we could blood the lads in and well I think we'd still have a decent chance of a top 4 finish seen as it a World Cup year and all. It's an ideal time.
Also Snoop I agree our current first XV (bring in Tuitupou, Leamy and possibly Donnacha Ryan and Johne Murphy) and we can make a serious crack at H-Cup too.
I think supporters realize this has to be doe too which will ease the pressure and well the like of Felix Jones have the talent to easily burst onto Heineken Cup squad 23's if given chance to show talent.

It more about McGahan thinkink of a rotation system that will work smartly and cut down the older lads air-miles

Lads hard to stomach and well no complaints as Leinster were the better team with a brilliant defense and clinical finishing.
My views are simple
- As I reported Fla pi**ed McGahan off in someway that saw him get no game-time although Varley did well.
- I think even Leinster fans will agree Earls looked dangerous and will be a star back for Ireland and seems most natural replacement for BOD
- Mafi was very good too and well happy to see him returning to form hopefully for next season
- It kills me to say this but lads John Hayes can't cut it at this level anymore which means Ireland are in major problems as we have no other prop capable at 3.
- I've said this in other Threads and I'll say it again Parisse, Harinordoquy and whoever else ye want to mention I don't care are no where near Heaslip who not only is best 8 in world now but has been since last July and never had a dip in form. It was a pleasure seen him tonight.
- McLaughlin has nailed down 6 jersey too for tour down-under after tonight but I thought Niall Ronan got exposed tonight, was i the only one who thought this ?
- Also what annoyed me the most is Munster missed to many tackles and let players float by untouched too.
But at end of day, Munster's discipline and decisions were poor at times tonight which showed where Paulie is important.
If we are to be serious next year we need a prop, a backrow forward, we have a kiwi centre coming in but we're seriously in need of a winger and well tonight again I watched Fisher again in the warm-up and well i've seriously been disappointed with him. Foley needs to be put in charge of forwards and well I think McGahan needs to reconstruct his backroom too.

Best of Luck to Leinster in final and well again well deserved tonight really can't have any complaints

Leinster are now a physically superior team. In the scrums they had too much power and thats part of the problem so I wouldn't blame Horan as much as others have. Neill Ronan is nowhere near being good enough for Munster. He was left go by Leinster years ago at a time when Leinster were not that strong up front. Mick O'Driscoll is another honest pro but very overrated.

Donnacha Ryan and Leamy were badly missed. They're 2 international quality players who would be missed by any team. Next season we'll see more of Peter O'Mahony etc. Paddy Butler isn't even in the academy yet but a good showing for Ireland in the U20 could get promoted fast. Likewise Dave O'Callaghan is another one to watch. So in the coming seasons the pack will be strengthened and if they get a new coach and an injury free run the Munster pack will start to resemble the traditional Munster.

McLaughlin played well in the last few games. After his Ireland cap people thought he wouldn't get many more because of his form but he's come good again.

Latest posts