• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lineout jumpers

• Thread starter edinburgh_gunner
  • Start date
E

edinburgh_gunner

Tonight I was at training, and we were practising lineouts for the first time. I'm a hooker, and thus I throw in the lineout. I'd been practising all summer and was looking quite good, but everytime I threw a ball to do a lineout, the jumpers just went up and expected to get the ball straight to them, not comming into the channel. This meant, they didn't catch it and blamed me for not throwing to them. Now, I threw it straight down the channel, as I would in a game. The other two hookers were throwing straight to them, so they threw squint which is nae good. Last year they blamed me for the malfunctioning lineout, when it wasn't really my fault and it's not happening this year!

have you tried explaining it to them? if they don't understand or don't listen, tell them to stick it. change positions or change clubs :)

Aye, they say they will but never do.

Second rows are thick as ****.

Originally posted by edinburgh_gunner@Aug 8 2006, 11:43 PM
Second rows are thick as ****.
It's completely true. A group of ignorant ********. I spent all last year telling our jumper at 2 to take a step forward before he goes up so he's in front of the opposition. Did he listen? Of course not. Who got blamed? Me.
People don't get that a malfunctioning lineout isn't always the hookers fault. Just as often the jumpers and lifters mess up but no-one knows enough to blame them.

The best thing to do is take a little step onto youyr side of the lineout (nothing blatant) and aim for the jumpers inside shoulder, you'll probarly get away with it

p.s Edinburgh Gunner just out of curiosity what did you do to practise your throwing?

Well I'm second rower/number 8. I jump at either two or four and always take a step forward pushing front lifter inside five. The refs never see it and it is highly successful.

I agree, you have to be able to jump towards the tunnel and catch with two hands: in fact that's where the ball has to be thrown! I hate it when my hooker throws after I've jumped or straight at me, because it doesn't simulate a game situation and as I'm going across to the middle at the time I can't disguise the bad throw by using my inside hand first.

Totally agreed with everything said, but that's a second rower's point of view.

Originally posted by kick2touch@Aug 9 2006, 08:18 AM
The best thing to do is take a little step onto youyr side of the lineout (nothing blatant) and aim for the jumpers inside shoulder, you'll probarly get away with it

p.s Edinburgh Gunner just out of curiosity what did you do to practise your throwing?
First of all, I practiced getting the spin I wanted. Then, when i had that, I have a gap between the side of my house and a hedge, bout a meter apart which I just threw down untill I had it straight and powerful, aswell as the correct height. For accuracy, I've also been known to throw against the posts or the floodlights.

So what's your coach doing about it? I'm sure he realizes that the hookers just aren't throwing straight and that's a penalty in the game.

i not the locks fult, locks don't make mistakes. In a malfunctioning lineout the locks arn't the ones to blame. The thrower and lifters are :p

I hate it when things like malfunctioning lineouts happen all the time, it makes my job as a scrum half alot harder.A scrum halfs view on this is that itis most of the times everyones fault because the Hocker should tell his 2nd rows what to do and be asertive enough 2 tell them because the Hocker is the boss at the lineout cos he has the ball and the 2nd rows should do what the Hocker tells them 2, your coach sould be telling the 2nd rows and lifters this cos if you get it wrong in training not under pressure what chance do u have of getting it right in a match 5 meters from your try line and the amount of pressure it puts on your half-backs if your set pieces aren't good can be the difference between winnig or losing.

Originally posted by neck@Aug 12 2006, 05:10 AM
i not the locks fult, locks don't make mistakes. In a malfunctioning lineout the locks arn't the ones to blame. The thrower and lifters are :p
Is it buggery!

We had a pre-season game today, the lineout worked well. Apart from when the middle jumper struggled to get height for a couple of throws (as he admitted) but apart from that it worked when i was throwing.

Does this club or team you play for understand what a lineout is at all.....?
I think every rugger, regardless of position should understand ever concept of the game.. and if they gonna get mad at you for throwing down the bloody channel like ur supposed to, I'd tell them to stick it and change clubs. Or atleast teach them how to do lineouts

dont say tht... i'm a lineout jumper and i dont blame you hookers for not getting the ball... I blame the lifter...

how do you practice with the team? just one full line out? and no opposition?

if you can you should get the backs up in the lineout or reserves at least to throw against. then you can practice with competition. sure they arnt going to be like in a real game, but then at least you will know where to throw the ball and your lineout jumpers cant be an ass telling you to throw it down the line.

also your coach should be there telling them what to do? what is he doing sittong on his hands or something?

Latest posts