Llanelli v Munster

A

An Tarbh

<div align="center">
Llanelli.png
Llanelli v Munster
Munster.png
</div>

Stephen Jones has been ruled out for Scarlets with his place going to Rhys Priestland. Nathan Brew starts on the wing with Garin Evans coming back into the centre.

Both sides will have points to prove, for the Scarlets their European form has been very dissappointing while Munster will be looking to respond to last weekend's defeat to Leinster.

Shockingly Kidney seems to have made a good call bringing back in Foley at no. 8 with Denis Leamy starting in his right position at flanker for the first time in God knows how long. The only other change from the Leinster match sees Brian Carney return in place of Kieran Lewis.

So which team will prove a point in this one???

Scarlets: 15 Morgan Stoddart, 14 Mark Jones, 13 Regan King, 12 Gavin Evans, 11 Nathan Brew, 10 Rhys Priestland, 9 Dwayne Peel, 8 Dafydd Jones, 7 Gavin Thomas, 6 Simon Easterby ©, 5 Scott Macleod, 4 Adam Eustace, 3 Deacon Manu, 2 James Hayter, 1 Iestyn Thomas.
Replacements: 16 Daniel George, 17 Bruce Douglas, 18 Vernon Cooper, 19 Alix Popham, 20 Gavin Cattle, 21 Ceiron Thomas, 22 Jonathan Davies

Munster: 15 Shaun Payne, 14 Brian Carney, 13 Rua Tipoki, 12 Lifeimi Mafi, 11 Ian Dowling, 10 Ronan O'Gara ©, 9 Peter Stringer, 8 Anthony Foley, 7 David Wallace, 6 Denis Leamy, 5 Mick O'Driscoll, 4 Donncha O'Callaghan, 3 John Hayes, 2 Jerry Flannery, 1 Marcus Horan
Replacements: 16 Frankie Sheahan, 17 Tony Buckley, 18 Donnacha Ryan, 19 James Coughlan, 20 Gerry Hurley, 21 Paul Warwick, 22 Kieran Lewis

Sounds like a vintage Munster performance this evening in what was atrocious conditions at Stradey, now they can take heart from the Clermont result today after getting the job done this evening.

Foley in his element apparently by the sounds of things. Who did Sky give man of the match to?

MOM was ROG - kicked 7/7, gave Munster winning advantage with wind behind them in first half.

It was an "I survived the monsoon" match. Wayne Barnes stopped it for 30 secs at 55 mins - "Just wait till the rain passes - I want to be able to see what's going on"! ROG was a spectator for most of the last forty minutes, and the TV showed him at the end with his teeth chattering.

The lineouts were a joke, but Munster had a much better scrum. Foley was great, and Munster forwards kept 80% poss in second half. Didn't matter if they were going forwards, backwards or sideways, the pack just held on to the ball and drove. At one point Quinnell said in commentary, "I hope Munster knock it on soon - the phase counter only goes up to thirty." They got to thirty two.

Big character and good intelligence from Munster in one of those matches you hate to play, but look back on with a warm glow.

Towards the end, Munster destroyed the game with their boring style. Although they were deserving winners in the end, they must have kept the ball tight for the whole of the last 20 minutes.

It's sounds to me like Munster played the conditions perfectly, it's hard enough to keep the ball for multiple phases of possession in the dry but with wind and rain belting into your faces I think that makes it all the more impressive.

Scarlets just weren't able to make the most out of having a gale behind their backs, you're never going to get a free flowing running game of rugby in those conditions.

The Irish commentator described it as monsoon conditions, I was there and it f'ing was. Thank goodness for the stands!

Towards the end, Munster destroyed the game with their boring style. Although they were deserving winners in the end, they must have kept the ball tight for the whole of the last 20 minutes. [/b]

Munster didn't destroy the game - they made it. Scarlets were promising last season, but they still have to figure out how got to mix it with the big boys. Good luck with that!

BTW - best sig ever.

Well to be honest, keeping the ball tight like that can only entertain Munster fans (I have no idea how). I can only say that at least they looked professional by not making any mistakes while moving forward, centimetre by centimetre.

BTW - Thanks :)

Latest posts