London 2012

Feicarsinn

Super Αdmin
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
Opening ceremony has started and I must say that I'm thoroughly enjoying it thus far, which is surprising, as I usually hate these things.

Only gripe I have so far is that the BBC has proclaimed Bradley Wiggans the first person from these isles (ie the British Isles) to win the Tour de France. Nicolas Roche disapproves. The choirs are good though.

A few rugby clips thrown in which is nice to see...aaand Prime cuts to an ad break.

Only gripe I have so far is that the BBC has proclaimed Bradley Wiggans the first person from these isles (ie the British Isles) to win the Tour de France. Nicolas Roche disapproves. The choirs are good though.

I don't mind that at all it is better than them claiming Irish victories ala Graeme McDowell and (Debatable) Rory McIlRoy.
I'm not watching the ceremony but people are trying to force it upon me. Game of Thrones is better though.

This is hilarious, it's unbelieveably crap! Who the **** designed it? The Chinese one was light years ahead.

I don't mind that at all it is better than them claiming Irish victories ala Graeme McDowell and (Debatable) Rory McIlRoy.
I'm not watching the ceremony but people are trying to force it upon me. Game of Thrones is better though.

Eh? I don't really get what you're on about considering that both hold British passports and see themselves as Northern Irish.

This is hilarious, it's unbelieveably crap! Who the **** designed it? The Chinese one was light years ahead.

I think it's been quite good, certainly the first half. Danny Boyle is doing a very good job of what most English people are very bad at, ie. embracing the fact their culture and history. The stuff around the industrial revolution was quality, especially the Brunell bits, and the Bond thing was quite classy. They're focusing on what they're good at, being a bit novel and quirky, as opposed to the mass organisation of the Chinese, which they'd be unable to replicate. Completely different shows.

And also, they had Frank Turner on, which was immense!

Eh? I don't really get what you're on about considering that both hold British passports and see themselves as Northern Irish.

Grame McDowell stated after winning the US open that he was proud to be only the third Irishman to win a major. Both players play under the GUI (Golfing union of Ireland) and have represented both Ireland & N.I at the world cup of golf so it's more complicated than that comment makes it seem.

Anyway I kind of regret making the last comment as it usually leads to a debate with a lot of grey area and very little valid ground for arguments. Many people also believe that come the next olympics we'll see about the two players but it might not be that simple because if GMac and McIlroy play for GBNI it leaves Ireland with two extra places in the event.

What was the farm **** all about?
Missed it.

They essentially had this little rural village made up, with a mill and cottages and a few little fields filled with sheep. Then Brunell came on, made a speech from the Tempest, and kicked of an industrial revolution. The cottages were removed and fields were removed, they had these massive chimneys rise up from the ground, had lots of industrialists and workers come in and they put a wee steel force in. It was quite cool.

I just copped why I really didn't like this comment. A light year is a unit of distance you silly chap.

Last edited:
Does anyone have an idea of the viewing stats of the opening ceremony compared to the events in the Olympics?
Is it anything like the comparison of the Superbowl ads vs the actual match?

Yes it is rather lacking some of the historic moments against the French but then again it has to finish today and not run till next Monday.

On another note love the small details nods to pink floyd with the flying pig etc and abide with me is fantastic.

The excitement wears off midway through the 'A's.
Bring on Zimbabwe!

DPRK out now. Apparently they've already won the Olympics.

Last edited:
The excitement wears off midway through the 'A's.
Bring on Zimbabwe!

DPRK out now. Apparently they've already won the Olympics.

Ah fairly interesting by brother is doing an incredibly racist and ignorant running commentary while doing a stupid little dance.

Ah fairly interesting by brother is doing an incredibly racist and ignorant running commentary while doing a stupid little dance.

Yes, nothing promotes global racism as well as the Olympics.
I would imagine Phil the Greek has a few good ones right now.

Speaking of the royal family, here comes Germany.
Should get good home support.

Last edited:
On another kind of unrelated note seeing American Samoa reminded me of this.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MkkDMLqjYRM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Man up. Being racist and ignorant is half the craic when watching shite like this.

Ah, the Chinese. A great bunch of lads.

Yes, nothing promotes global racism as well as the Olympics.
I would imagine Phil the Greek has a few good ones right now.

Speaking of the royal family, here comes Germany.
Should get good home support.
Hahahaha I see what you did there.
409723_351500641595774_1830403669_n.jpg

Thats for Cmac, sorry for the Springsteen comments bro

Latest posts